Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #736
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
I will be spending the day watching my wife (beginner rider), ride her new bike in a big parking lot. She has taken the MSF basic rider course and did very well.
She is starting to get use to the bike and build some confidence. She is not ready for city streets and traffic yet. Maybe I can convince her to take a short ride around Draper Lake.
What bike is she riding?
A circuit or more around Draper sounds like a good training exercise. Good road, almost no traffic.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #737
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Rossi is back, it was nice to see.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #738
mars
Starbucks anyone?

I read this from the Huffington Post today. Number 1 over rated city in the world, Austin.

Drum roll, please, for this legend in its own mind, a mildly entertaining university town and state capital with fever dreams of greatness, a city whose entire purpose for breathing is to not be like everything else around it. When you're trying to set yourself apart from a place as large and as bold as Texas, you have to work really, really hard. Which could explain why everyone walks around here looking so stressed. Sprawling Austin is one of those unfortunate places that seems really smashing on paper. And then one ruins things by going. You have now been advised.

This is sooo true. I still love visiting my old friends after living there for 25 years but glad I don't. It is not easy to be trendy 24/7. I must be reacting to my time there by not wanting to be trendy at all and hang out with you guys.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #739
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
I read this from the Huffington Post today. Number 1 over rated city in the world, Austin.

Drum roll, please, for this legend in its own mind, a mildly entertaining university town and state capital with fever dreams of greatness, a city whose entire purpose for breathing is to not be like everything else around it. When you're trying to set yourself apart from a place as large and as bold as Texas, you have to work really, really hard. Which could explain why everyone walks around here looking so stressed. Sprawling Austin is one of those unfortunate places that seems really smashing on paper. And then one ruins things by going. You have now been advised.

This is sooo true. I still love visiting my old friends after living there for 25 years but glad I don't. It is not easy to be trendy 24/7. I must be reacting to my time there by not wanting to be trendy at all and hang out with you guys.
That's nothing new, it's all because Austin is built around that real uppity school

Shawnee Bill, Texas A&M class of '71

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #740
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 883
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
That's nothing new, it's all because Austin is built around that real uppity school

Shawnee Bill, Texas A&M class of '71

I knew you were a "can't get off the couch" aggie..

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #741
mars
Starbucks anyone?

http://www.amaprolive.com/rr/dvr/

just found out the Daytona 200 is posted. takin a bike break to watch it right now.

Who better to share it with than Scott Russel. it is great to see him back on camera with the color.

I think AMA pro is my favorite series. low budgets and hungry riders, love it.

where there any survivors from Arkansas?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #742
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post

I knew you were a "can't get off the couch" aggie..

Hey, I'm retired, I don't have time to sit on the couch any more. To busy riding or being a MotoGP race marshall.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #743
mars
Starbucks anyone?

finished the upgrades on the R-1. made final adjustments to the fuel map today.

ready to drive to TWS tomorrow. gates open at 6:00 pm and i want to get a paddock slot for the weekend. I cant wait to hang out with my fellow low rent track rats.
New race plastics, dunlop race tires, penske rear shock, ktech front cartridges, new clipons, stainless brake lines thruout and fresh galfer pads. lots of changes and i cant wait to shake the bike down.

I am really thinking hard about cutting a chunk of the belly pan out and putting the kick stand back on. It is a real pain without it.

weighed the box I threw everything into during the winter and it is about 60 lbs lighter. If I go out with the intention of riding like an old lady I will probably be going at my race pace. Every brain is different, mine needs to be told constantly to start slow then taper off, that keeps me a little below my limit. My secret to track days, lay back for the first laps and let the squids hit the weeds. A few go off the track the first few turns every time without fail. Gives me a chance to warm the tires up and get a feel for the day. I did a test lap around the block and lit the rear tire up, the bike wasn't even on the pipe at about 4k rpms.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #744
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Just Moved to Edmond from out of state

I have just retired and moved to Edmond from Silly Cone Valley in order to be able to pay rent and squeeze an occasional meal out of my meager SS check.
Needless to say I'm old enough to remember when the Dead Sea was just feeling poorly but want to regain some long lost dirt skills. Is there some dirt/gravel roads or a riding area where a snail slow rider can ride without getting run over by the go-fasters?
I'd also like to meet some riders and swap a few war stories.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #745
mars
Starbucks anyone?

welcome to the OKC metro. We get together once a month or so.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #746
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
I have just retired and moved to Edmond from Silly Cone Valley in order to be able to pay rent and squeeze an occasional meal out of my meager SS check.
Needless to say I'm old enough to remember when the Dead Sea was just feeling poorly but want to regain some long lost dirt skills. Is there some dirt/gravel roads or a riding area where a snail slow rider can ride without getting run over by the go-fasters?
-Shov
Welcome, you're in the right place.
Check out the Draper Lake riding area on the southeast side of OKC.

http://www.lakedraper.com/off-road.php

There are always riders there on weekends, but rarely large crowds so not a lot of traffic on the trails, and the fast guys are courteous toward slower riders.
For more dirt roads and longer "adventure" check out the Oklahoma Adventure Trail, OAT.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836706

Put a note up here if you want company on any ride, fair chance someone will go with you.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #747
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
http://www.amaprolive.com/rr/dvr/

just found out the Daytona 200 is posted. takin a bike break to watch it right now.

Who better to share it with than Scott Russel. it is great to see him back on camera with the color.

I think AMA pro is my favorite series. low budgets and hungry riders, love it.

where there any survivors from Arkansas?
That's a great link. Thanks for posting it! I'm not going to get a thing done today......
Oh, and have fun at the races!!!!
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #748
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
-Shov
Howdy, from a fellow Edmondian. I too have a Road King, and a 1200GS for the dirt/gravel roads. Looking forward to meeting you.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #749
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Thanks for the quick replies & info. I look forward to meeting you all.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #750
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
-Shov

my dad is in chula vista, ca. I've been telling him he needs to do the same thing. welcome to oklahoma.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote