Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 532
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...315322&page=18

Post 262
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
That looks like a lot of steel to carry, but seems to work.

I like the idea of tying off to the rear axle, and running the rope over the bars. I would want something else anchoring the bike, though, to keep it from rolling forward. From the rear axle to a strong tree root or something...maybe just a rock in front of the front tire would do it, only experimentation will tell.

You might also try tying the rope to the front half of the front wheel, then over the bars and off the front. Pulling on the rope would do 2 things: 1. rotate the wheel backwards, and 2. push down on the front suspension. Given enough traction, it might be stable.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
therdriele
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I travel using Hennessy hammocks alot and I have spent a ton of time in them over the last 8 years. Hate to burst your bubble but this plan wont work.
Our bros in Iraq hang Hennessy's off HumVees, etc, but a bike is neither high enough nor heavy enough to support a hammock with a person in it.

When you only have one (or no) solid anchor point the best thing to do with a Hennessy is to hang the hammock low like a bivvy tent, so your weight is on the ground but you're still sheltered and have protection from bugs. Set up this way, it is still a good shelter and it doesnt need much for support.

Hang one end higher off the tree (sign, etc, or a motorcycle), and use a short tent pole (walking stick, another motorcycle, folding chair, etc) to support the other end. This works and will still keep you pretty dry and protected from bugs. Put the side stakes far out and you'll have a good shelter.

Or .. .just use the tent.

Just a suggestion, but I've traveled with the Hennessys using a larger tarp (12x12 or 16x16 Kelty Noah's tarp) substituted for the Hennessy rain fly. This will give you some nice options. .. including shelter for bike, luggage, cooking space and a chair, all under the tarp with your hammock. Doesnt work as well in a blowing downpour, but in most other conditions it's fine.

BTW the hammocks are terrible in cold weather, if you didnt already know that. You'll freeze to death below 40 degrees.
therdriele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by therdriele View Post
I travel using Hennessy hammocks alot and I have spent a ton of time in them over the last 8 years.
I just travel with Hennessy. Enough of that and you just don't care what you sleep on!
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,258
I'd say you find two trees and hang the hamock between them. Plenty of trees in Latam...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
This isn't going to work. With a 200lb dude you get 173lbs of sheer force which will pull any bike off of any center/side stand.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdemien View Post
This isn't going to work. With a 200lb dude you get 173lbs of sheer force which will pull any bike off of any center/side stand.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
Have to disagree.

The photo is from a recent trip in Eastern Indonesia. Hammocks are a Warbonnet Blackbird on the right and a Hennessey on the left.

On several occassions on the ride I had to use my bike to tie off one end of the Warbonnet.
On the occasion shown above, we found 3 wooden stakes on a beach but too close to string our hammocks from. I tied off the head end pretty high on one of the stakes and then tied off the other end directly to my bikes rear rack. Clearance from the ground was in inches but I slept fine.
This set up was very secure if the bike is parked at the correct angle so the weight of the hammock is pulled into the side stand. Also leave the bike in gear and allow enough distance between the stake and the rear of the bike so the hammock still hangs horizontally or there abouts !

This second set up on the sand was more challenging, but still worked out fine.

We tied off drift wood planks we found on the beach to the rear rack pushing them flush against the rear wheel, to use as the missing stake. The principal was the same as above though, putting a lump of wood under the side stand and using the hammock to push against it. My bike did fall over on the testing the hammock (falling away from the kick stand) as I parked at the wrong angle , but this was solved with a few props.
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Nishidake
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Look Ma, no trees!

Perhaps this would be a better/more versatile solution. Light enough for bike travel and gives you the option of using one other anchor point or none at all. You can use your Hennessey with it.

Handy Hammock
Nishidake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
hamish99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I've been using hammocks for years. That Handy Hammock suspension system is great. Maybe use different poles that could break down to 1' long segments for easy packing. It would weigh a bit more, but not a critical as hiking.
hamish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Hammock user as well, and am very curious about this same situation.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
imgoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73