ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #1606
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,197
Honda vv the rest of the World?

Interesting discussion... Honda is trying to 'use' (not sure if this is the right word to use... ) Honda motorcycle meetings as a 'platform' to gain information for their R&D development.

Nothing new, they have been doing so for the last 7-8 years and we all know the results of these inquiries...

Shouldn't Honda perhaps save on travel expenses and put this in their R&D office? To get a proper Africa Twin revival, for example?

Everything Honda needs to know has been said and written by its custommers - also here at ADV riders Forum...

Interesting discussion on the International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum though regarding participation from Honda to the 15th annual International meeting in Wales, next month:

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...ic.php?p=21947
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #1607
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Interesting discussion... Honda is trying to 'use' (not sure if this is the right word to use... ) Honda motorcycle meetings as a 'platform' to gain information for their R&D development.

Nothing new, they have been doing so for the last 7-8 years and we all know the results of these inquiries...

Shouldn't Honda perhaps save on travel expenses and put this in their R&D office? To get a proper Africa Twin revival, for example?

Everything Honda needs to know has been said and written by its custommers - also here at ADV riders Forum...

Interesting discussion on the International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum though regarding participation from Honda to the 15th annual International meeting in Wales, next month:

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...ic.php?p=21947
Hey Two Plugs I know it looks sometimes like they are not listening but we have to keep trying to get the message thru. Sent you a PM.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #1608
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
Hey Two Plugs I know it looks sometimes like they are not listening but we have to keep trying to get the message thru. Sent you a PM.
Sorry, no message received?

There is also something positive about this issue. The development of a new motorcycle takes long, years after years of testing, designing, etc etc. Some of the features we would love to see on a Varadero (for example) are introduced on the Crosstourer. So, thats a good point.


Tnx
Bernard
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #1609
trex300
Adventurer
 
trex300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 82
Just finished reading this whole thread, lots of great info here, just like the Transalp thread.

Just picked up a '08 Varadero and looking forward to seeing what it can do in the dirt. Front TKC80, hot grips, MRA Vario screen and crash bars ordered today. Already added bar risers and my Stebel from my last bike. Rear tire is a new Battlewing so I'll use that up before getting a Heidenau for the rear. Had a Mitas E07 front and Battlewing rear on my weestrom and that combo worked surprisingly well on both street and dirt.

Anybody run a fork brace on these bikes? I have the one from my weestrom and it looks like the forks are the same size but the fender looks to be in the way to go straight across from the top of the bottom fork legs(just above the fork seals). May have to fab something to make it work.
__________________
Toys:
'08 Honda XL1000V
'09 Kawasaki KX250F
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #1610
cgoakley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: calgary
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex300 View Post
Just finished reading this whole thread, lots of great info here, just like the Transalp thread.

Just picked up a '08 Varadero and looking forward to seeing what it can do in the dirt. Front TKC80, hot grips, MRA Vario screen and crash bars ordered today. Already added bar risers and my Stebel from my last bike. Rear tire is a new Battlewing so I'll use that up before getting a Heidenau for the rear. Had a Mitas E07 front and Battlewing rear on my weestrom and that combo worked surprisingly well on both street and dirt.

Anybody run a fork brace on these bikes? I have the one from my weestrom and it looks like the forks are the same size but the fender looks to be in the way to go straight across from the top of the bottom fork legs(just above the fork seals). May have to fab something to make it work.
When you take the fender off! honda already installed a steel brace! cheers!
cgoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #1611
trex300
Adventurer
 
trex300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoakley View Post
When you take the fender off! honda already installed a steel brace! cheers!
Thank you, I would have noticed when my TKC80 tire comes in, guess I can sell it to the strommers.
__________________
Toys:
'08 Honda XL1000V
'09 Kawasaki KX250F
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #1612
Crooked Tree
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Michigan
Oddometer: 9
Interesting build:

I used to ride single track on KTM's, and now that I am older I want to do more adventure riding but with an edge towards the woods. Times are tough for my business and I just can not afford a big KTM, both purchase price and maintenance costs.

There is not a bike made that fits the bill in a price range that is realistic for a bike that will be abused. $12k for an Adventure is just too much.

So.......... I have been toying with the idea of buying a used EXC with a bad motor and getting out the torches. The bike could lose an inch or two of height, cut the center section as necessary for whatever transplant I decide. I had a VFR750 years ago and I think that motor could work. Has to be a common motor so cheap parts are available, but I have just about given up on a factory ride, and I like to fabricate anyway.

I will be following the "Super" buildup with interest, thanks for sharing.

Larry
Crooked Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #1613
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex300 View Post
Just finished reading this whole thread, lots of great info here, just like the Transalp thread.

Just picked up a '08 Varadero and looking forward to seeing what it can do in the dirt. Front TKC80, hot grips, MRA Vario screen and crash bars ordered today. Already added bar risers and my Stebel from my last bike. Rear tire is a new Battlewing so I'll use that up before getting a Heidenau for the rear. Had a Mitas E07 front and Battlewing rear on my weestrom and that combo worked surprisingly well on both street and dirt.

Anybody run a fork brace on these bikes? I have the one from my weestrom and it looks like the forks are the same size but the fender looks to be in the way to go straight across from the top of the bottom fork legs(just above the fork seals). May have to fab something to make it work.
Hi Trex

There is one installed (fork brace), right underneath the front fender. Maybe not a real 'hard core' thing, but it is there. Check also the International Forum for more Varadero techspecs. Its a great bike, but for real 'mudwrestling' perhaps a little too heavy...

I also had a Stebel Nautilus Compact, but after problems with them twice (replaced under warranty) I changed for a US made Big Boy.
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #1614
trex300
Adventurer
 
trex300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Hi Trex

There is one installed (fork brace), right underneath the front fender. Maybe not a real 'hard core' thing, but it is there. Check also the International Forum for more Varadero techspecs. Its a great bike, but for real 'mudwrestling' perhaps a little too heavy...

I also had a Stebel Nautilus Compact, but after problems with them twice (replaced under warranty) I changed for a US made Big Boy.
What went wrong with your Stebel 2plugs?
__________________
Toys:
'08 Honda XL1000V
'09 Kawasaki KX250F
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #1615
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex300 View Post
What went wrong with your Stebel 2plugs?
It can't handle rain. A drizzle is OK, but riding 5 hours in a rainstorm is something the Stebel doesn't like... So it caught a cold and lost its voice... Twice.

Compliments for the Dutch importer (Valk Motorsports in Amersfoort City) for resolving the issue without any hessitation!
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #1616
trex300
Adventurer
 
trex300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
It can't handle rain. A drizzle is OK, but riding 5 hours in a rainstorm is something the Stebel doesn't like... So it caught a cold and lost its voice... Twice.

Compliments for the Dutch importer (Valk Motorsports in Amersfoort City) for resolving the issue without any hessitation!
Guess I've been lucky with mine, it's been under water a few times and is still effectively loud
__________________
Toys:
'08 Honda XL1000V
'09 Kawasaki KX250F
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #1617
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,197
New international Varadero Forum online from today!

Hi All

The International Varadero & Crosstourer Forum has successfully moved to its new home base.
We are looking forward to receive many new members registering from today!

http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?action=forum

The old forum will remain online till May 1st, 2013 and will be shut down to 'read only' from that date.

The existing URL varadero-international.com and crosstourer-international.com will be redirected to our new home base from May 1st.
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1618
trex300
Adventurer
 
trex300's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 82
I've been able to put on some kms with the TKC80 front tire and it seems to work fairly well, even had the wife on the back yesterday and was still able to do some good speeds on gravel roads with no floaty feeling...ABS works well on the gravel too.

The Battlewing I still have on the rear does not like snow.

I've added 1" handlebar risers but it still feels like the bars are too low when riding standing up. Being 6'4", can any other taller Vara riders recommend how tall a riser you can add before you have trouble with the cables?

Rick
__________________
Toys:
'08 Honda XL1000V
'09 Kawasaki KX250F
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1619
Ghostbrother
Adventurer
 
Ghostbrother's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Southisland Stockholm
Oddometer: 73
All most done!

__________________
"IP-Rider"
Is there life before death ... I believe that.... RW Offroad

Ghostbrother screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 02:55 AM
Ghostbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #1620
judomaniak
Adventurer
 
judomaniak's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Saskatchewan,Canada
Oddometer: 82
has anyone out there bought a California Scientific windshield for the Varadero.What are the good bad or ugly about it
__________________
2009 honda varadero
judomaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014