ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
pauleknight OP
Need Cool Name Here
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Oddometer: 318
Garmin Zumo 66x latest firmware problem - Scala headset issues

Garmin Zumo 66x latest firmware problem.

I upgraded to the latest firmware that came out on April 1st and the BlueTooth Audio just went to heck.. It seems that the AD2P function between my Scala and my Garmin disappeared, sound quality degraded so bad it hurt and although hard to tell, the music was no longer in Stereo from XM or MP3.

I switched the pairing from my Garmin to my iPhone and ahhhhhh... The sound of sweet music once again... Bach and Iron Maiden never sounded so sweet..

Can anyone else tell me if they tried the latest ZUMO firmware (zumo 660 (GCD File) software version 4.90 ) released April 1st and can you comment on the ability to use a Scala BT (Schuberth as well) or other (please identify model headset) with the AD2P / Stereo and can you move between songs from the headset?

Thanks in advance as we all want to get this fixed..
__________________
2014 R1200GSAW - Jan ' 14
pauleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,772
I updated your title to be a bit more descriptive.

Dave
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
pauleknight OP
Need Cool Name Here
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Oddometer: 318
thanks

Can anyone comment?

Paul
__________________
2014 R1200GSAW - Jan ' 14
pauleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,885
Is there a description you can link to that says what they changed in the upgrade?

You don't mention what Scala headset, but assuming it must be one with at least A2DP. I'm wondering if they finally fixed the issue of the Zumo 66x grabbing both the HFP and A2DP profiles even if you didn't want it to?

One more thing. Did you clear the pairing between the Zumo and the Scala. Best to clear it on both ends. Anytime you update a device with BT, its best to clear the pairings or sometimes you get weird results which hopefully is the case here.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,885
Well looks like this was just a minor update, but it does sound like they played with the BT settings. So definitely a good idea to clear/reset the BT on both devices - http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5001

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
Fixed an error with the connection to IPhone 4s.
Fixed an error that caused audio distortion when phone call audio is transferred to phone and then back to device.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
pauleknight OP
Need Cool Name Here
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Orlando FL
Oddometer: 318
BlueLghtning,

Thanks for the input, but I promise that I did reset the Scala, which is actually a Schuberth SRC.

Do you have the Garmin 66x and a BT helmet?

do you have any issues with yours and skipping or failing of the BT connection?

I have yet to get anyone who can without a doubt confirm that they have used the Garmin 66x and a BT headset without some form of failure after a few hours or shorter.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Paul
__________________
2014 R1200GSAW - Jan ' 14
pauleknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight View Post
BlueLghtning,

Thanks for the input, but I promise that I did reset the Scala, which is actually a Schuberth SRC.

Do you have the Garmin 66x and a BT helmet?

do you have any issues with yours and skipping or failing of the BT connection?

I have yet to get anyone who can without a doubt confirm that they have used the Garmin 66x and a BT headset without some form of failure after a few hours or shorter.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Paul
No I don't have a 66x. I'm frequently seeing comments though being brought up in the Sena SMH10 thread. The 66x is one of those GPS's that hogs the A2DP profile even if you aren't listening to music through it and it won't allow you to do a "selective" pairing with the HFP profile only, so people who want to listen to music from say their smart phone or some other device usually run into a conflict with the 66x and their music device fighting over the same BT profile.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Hawk
Bainned
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 16,701
Did you ever find resolution to this problem?

I bought a 665 last week, and can pair it to my Schubert helmet just fine, and I can pair the iPhone 5 to the 665 and everything works great until I get a phone call or try to make a phone call. Once that happens I lose all audio and the only way to get it back is to turn everything off and back on.

Called Garmin and they said it is a Iphone 5 issue. So I got a iPhone 4S and paired everything up and I can make and take calls with no issues. I've called Apple only to be told "too bad, so sad" I've called Garmin back and they just refer me to Apple.

Has anyone been able to work around these issues?

The way I see it I have 2 options, downgrade my phone to a 4S, or buy a Sena SM10 and route everything through that.

Suggestions?
__________________
Fuck Cancer!!!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Did you ever find resolution to this problem?

I bought a 665 last week, and can pair it to my Schubert helmet just fine, and I can pair the iPhone 5 to the 665 and everything works great until I get a phone call or try to make a phone call. Once that happens I lose all audio and the only way to get it back is to turn everything off and back on.

Called Garmin and they said it is a Iphone 5 issue. So I got a iPhone 4S and paired everything up and I can make and take calls with no issues. I've called Apple only to be told "too bad, so sad" I've called Garmin back and they just refer me to Apple.

Has anyone been able to work around these issues?

The way I see it I have 2 options, downgrade my phone to a 4S, or buy a Sena SM10 and route everything through that.

Suggestions?
Is the Zumo/Schubert link dropping too or just the iPhone/Zumo link? If its the first one, I don't get that? If the iPhone 5 is paired to the Zumo an the Zumo is paired to the Schubert, why would the Iphone cause the Zumo and the Schubert to disconnect? That seems like a cope out answer from Garmin on that one. I get it if it's just the iPhone dropping and doesn't happen with the 4S model, then yeah, that sounds like an iPhone issue.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Hawk
Bainned
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 16,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Is the Zumo/Schubert link dropping too or just the iPhone/Zumo link? If its the first one, I don't get that? If the iPhone 5 is paired to the Zumo an the Zumo is paired to the Schubert, why would the Iphone cause the Zumo and the Schubert to disconnect? That seems like a cope out answer from Garmin on that one. I get it if it's just the iPhone dropping and doesn't happen with the 4S model, then yeah, that sounds like an iPhone issue.
All audio drops as soon as I attempt to hang up on the call, it matters not is it is ended on the GPS or the iPhone. The only way to re-establish audio is to shut everything off then power it back on, then once I make or receive a call, it all locks up again. It is almost like the GPS does not properly interrupt the "end call signal" so it hangs the connections.

Like I said if I use a iPhone 4S it all works properly.
__________________
Fuck Cancer!!!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
FrancoJon
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 2
Hi guys, new on here, but was trawling the net looking for a solution to the sound issue on the zumo 660 and found this thread. I used the Garmin with map-source to plan a '4000 mile in 9 days' trip around Europe to raise money for childrens cancer charities. The Map-source was workable, and the added bonus of the 660 storing & playing music was great. recently I had the thing playing strangled drowning dalek music through my Autocom. I was told by many it was an Autocom problem, so had that checked out, then paired it to my Schuberth SRC and still had sound issues though different, just poor quality and muffled. Garmin sent me loads of info on how to reset and update firmware, so did that and it was fine.....for around 2 days and now I'm about ready to kick the s*#t out of it. I'm off around Europe with my daughter in 4 weeks and really need to sort it before then. I can't pre-plan routes on my iPhone tomtom..... Or can I? any advice would be appreciated!
FrancoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
FrancoJon
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 2
I just had a very heated discussion with the tech support guy at Garmin UK over this issue and as my Garmin is over a year old (17 months!) they could only offer me a 'fixed price repair' which the guy said would be a swap out of the garmin main unit (no cables, accessories, etc) for 113. So we'll see if the new unit makes any difference! Can't see how it will..... if the firmware is the same and the main board etc are the same, surely it will develop the same problem.
FrancoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014