User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #376
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,748
I wouldn't use anything other than Benjamin Moore. Expensive, but rich color, and great coverage.
I asked myself what was cheaper, two coats of Moore, or three or four of the cheaper stuff.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #377
mwzl
mwzl

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wouldn't use anything other than Benjamin Moore. Expensive, but rich color, and great coverage.
I asked myself what was cheaper, two coats of Moore, or three or four of the cheaper stuff.
+1 on Benjamin Moore
mwzl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #378
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,981
Just ordered appliances. We bought them from a local business that is more or less a kitchen showroom. I expected to walk in, give a thumbs up, and walk out.

The owner was in a chatty mood and the wife and I had *several* beers with him. The big box stores don't give you beer when you buy appliances from them. Buy local, folks.

(and we paid Internet prices too)
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #379
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
(and we paid Internet prices too)
Let's just double-check that when you're sober, m'kay?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #380
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Let's just double-check that when you're sober, m'kay?

wife already did that last week and was pleasantly surprised!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #381
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Home stretch!

We started moving into the basement today. It'll be a little campy for a bit but the exodus from the apartment is long overdue.

The fir ceiling in the main living area (it's been complete for a while now):
From April 28, 2013

Our basement bedroom- mainly wanted to show the interior doors we chose. The GC found a great deal on these solid pine doors- 4 panel shaker style, which is just what we wanted. We thought for budget reasons that we'd have to go with something cheaper but he got a good deal and passed it on to us.
From April 28, 2013

Basement bathroom. With running water! First flush today! (Better get that septic pump hooked up soon, we've got 1700 gallons before the pump needs to come on)
From April 28, 2013

This gives an idea of the trim detail on the main level. My wife found something like this online, passed it to the GC, and he really liked it and made it happen. Basically just took 5/4 clear pine and butted it up to the window jam. (Remember the walls are about a foot thick) Sheetrock is taped right up to the trim, so there's no need for casing around it. He left a slight reveal so the trim sits about 3/16 proud of the sheetrock. It's really clean looking.
From April 28, 2013

And the brackets are up! We really like how it looks in real life.
From April 28, 2013

And our cabinet maker friend installed the kitchen the other day. He really did a bang up job. Now I've gotta get my act in gear to get the concrete countertops built. I've got a wet grinder/polisher on the way along with some special concrete mix and additives. If future picture shows formica tops you'll know that there was an epic concrete countertop fail.
From April 28, 2013
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #382
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
And the brackets are up! We really like how it looks in real life.
From April 28, 2013

You kept saying "brackets" and I kept thinking you, mistakenly, meant corbels. Seems I'm the one who was wrong. Those are beautiful. Fantastic architectural feature I've never seen used before. Very nice.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #383
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
You kept saying "brackets" and I kept thinking you, mistakenly, meant corbels. Seems I'm the one who was wrong. Those are beautiful. Fantastic architectural feature I've never seen used before. Very nice.
I learned something- had to look up corbels. Pretty similar if you ask me- but I've only been calling them brackets because that's what the architect and GC called them.

What I really would have liked was for a post and beam house where features like that are actually structural. Post and beam + SIPS = more $ than we have. We're broke as it is. If someone catches me in a weak moment they could probably score a 2006 R12GS.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #384
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Sweet house , really liked the window trim. Looks like it is coming together
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #385
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,944
Really like the pine doors you chose and the ceiling finish.

About that pump. The company I worked for was moving into a new commercial space and while I was getting familiar with the generator controls and automatic transfer switch, I noticed a pump panel so I called he landlord. He said it was for something the previous tenant had done and not to worry-being wary, I asked him if he was sure. He said yes and not to worry about it. A couple of days later, the stench was unmistakable. Turns out, the building is below grade and used a lift pump to get effluent to the sewer mains. Worse, the pump had failed and the vault was within 6" of the top-which was just outside one of the side entrances to the building....so yeah, the pump should be a priority
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #386
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
How big is your pump chamber ? The ones we install are 1000 gallon. You will fill that in a few days.
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #387
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Been without Internet since May 1st. Still won't have it at the house until the end of the month. Kinda nice to be out in the sticks without TV or Internet.

The main septic tank is 1500 gallons. The pump chamber is 1000, and will pump when it gets to about 200 gallons. I checked the pump chamber yesterday and it hasn't started to fill yet- so I guess we're a low water use couple.

I'll update the thread with pictures when I've got web access at the house.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #388
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

A few pictures to update.

I feel like we're just about done- just a little bit to finish in every room. We're pretty comfortable living in the basement. I'm amazed at how comfortable and steady the temperature is. It was over 90 today and it's 64 down here. We have a nice view into the woods- hardly feels like a basement.

The GC and his crew have been fantastic.

I poured the concrete countertops in the kitchen and it went really well. I'm halfway through the grinding/polishing and things are looking good. I have to do a slurry coat to get the pin holes and then they'll be ready to finish and seal. Certain people have liked what they've seen and I've been given several other concrete countertop projects.

I've been enjoying spending time on the deck. It's peaceful and quiet.
From May 31, 2013

From May 31, 2013

From May 31, 2013

From May 31, 2013

Photo sharing site is being a pain in the ass- half the photos won't embed.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #389
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Very cool. Are the floors not in the kitchen yet, or do you have some sort of cover over them? How long do you think you'll spend grinding the counters, all told?

Are you doing the tile in the bathrooms, too? I see that someone is using kerdi there. That stuff is not as easy as it looks for getting a nice flat surface to set tile on.

Edit: and yeah, it seems like Google is making picasa more of a pain to use so that people will join google plus. argggh.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #390
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,944
Deck looks great!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: