User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #28231
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
To be fair M, it was new tires I was looking at, nothing too shiny .

I had ridden a bike with wider tires on it and really liked it, but that bike is at least 4 times better than mine (and 5x the price ). There are so many things that could have made that bike feel better to me that it just isn't worth going down that road.

My bike gets me from start to finish every time, what more could I want

The bike will last much more than 300 miles, but honestly I am surprised the tires have. Lots small trees were cut at ground level to make the local trails, and now those pointy bits stick straight up. i.e. tire daggers. The rear is starting to loose air between rides, but it will hold the air I put in prior to a ride, I just have to refill it before the next ride.
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #28232
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Those brevets sound completely nuts. I imagine the sense of accomplishment when done is fantastic, but I don't think I have the will to do something like that. The bikes are cool though!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #28233
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
To be fair M, it was new tires I was looking at, nothing too shiny .

I had ridden a bike with wider tires on it and really liked it, but that bike is at least 4 times better than mine (and 5x the price ). There are so many things that could have made that bike feel better to me that it just isn't worth going down that road.

My bike gets me from start to finish every time, what more could I want

The bike will last much more than 300 miles, but honestly I am surprised the tires have. Lots small trees were cut at ground level to make the local trails, and now those pointy bits stick straight up. i.e. tire daggers. The rear is starting to loose air between rides, but it will hold the air I put in prior to a ride, I just have to refill it before the next ride.
tires are a different story. Tires are like tools. Hammers work real well for nails, but not so good for screws. Tire treads are the same way. Some are good for hardpack. Some are good for soft stuff.

I've tended to pick tires that'll do a little bit of everything. Starting with the original Ground Control thru my current version of the Z-max.

...but you have to experiment to see what works for you. Riding styles are like belly buttons: everyone's is slightly different.

Components? 'Nother story. People get a case of upgrade-itis () hoping that the new bit will 'fix' their riding. It typically doesn't. I have bikes that weigh between 15# and 22#. I go the same speed on all of em. (in fact, I need to go do some intervals here pretty soon. )

M
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #28234
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I have bikes that weigh between 15# and 22#. I go the same speed on all of em.
Try telling skinny-tire riders that wider tires are nearly as fast and way more comfortable. I switched from a measured 27mm tire to a measured 37mm tire and lost nothing. However, the 37s are so much more comfortable. I've been asked why I'm riding such a wide tire and try to explain it to them. But, people look at me like I'm an idiot. They don't realize I used to ride a TT bike for an everyday bike. I actually do know what skinny tires are about. As always, the engine is the biggest factor; not the tires.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #28235
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Try telling skinny-tire riders that wider tires are nearly as fast and way more comfortable. I switched from a measured 27mm tire to a measured 37mm tire and lost nothing. However, the 37s are so much more comfortable. I've been asked why I'm riding such a wide tire and try to explain it to them. But, people look at me like I'm an idiot. They don't realize I used to ride a TT bike for an everyday bike. I actually do know what skinny tires are about. As always, the engine is the biggest factor; not the tires.
The problem comes when you're the one on the big tires and all the rest of the guys you're with are riding the small tires. Especially when you're trying to keep up with significantly faster riders than you are. Those few extra watts are a doGsend at speed.

For example: 2 weeks ago, I was on the Wed ride on my 32/32 training wheels. The end of Antioch Rd couldn't come fast enough 'cause I was darn near redlined. Last week, I rode my lighter, more aero wheels and I had a little left at the end of the road. HR was 5-10 beats lower and the legs weren't screaming at me nearly as much.

Still got dropped on the hill, but I could ride to the first steep section with the group.

For JRA, I've found that I'm darn near as fast on my 32c Tufos as I am the 23c Contis. ...and the Tufos insulate me more from the vibrations of the road.

Gotta go ride... Back later

M
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #28236
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
The problem comes when you're the one on the big tires and all the rest of the guys you're with are riding the small tires. Especially when you're trying to keep up with significantly faster riders than you are. Those few extra watts are a doGsend at speed.
Since switching to gravel, I no longer have that problem.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #28237
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Since switching to gravel, I no longer have that problem.
Makes one of us. My riding buddy is like a pit bull with a bone even off-road.

M
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #28238
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Under the right conditions, I can kick it to 23 mph easily on the flats - even late on the third day.
If you were riding in a mostly flat area like Florida, could the same rider maintain a higher speed than he could on a regular road bike?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #28239
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If you were riding in a mostly flat area like Florida, could the same rider maintain a higher speed than he could on a regular road bike?
Depends on the size/shape of the aerobelly.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #28240
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yes.

In general, recumbents are more aero that DF's but some recumbents are more aero that other recumbents.

All things being equal, a recumbent will always be faster than a diamond-frame. "All things being equal" means the riders are evenly matched, the tires/wheels are the same, etc so all the variable are eliminated except for the bike design itself.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #28241
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Depends on the size/shape of the aerobelly.
And the optional recumbent beard and sandals.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #28242
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
And the optional recumbent beard and sandals.
I don't get that. The beard is drag. Should be shaved clean.

Sandals on the other hand are totally aero.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #28243
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
tires are a different story. Tires are like tools. Hammers work real well for nails, but not so good for screws. Tire treads are the same way. Some are good for hardpack. Some are good for soft stuff.

M
Wanna know how many hammers I own????
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #28244
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Yes.

In general, recumbents are more aero that DF's but some recumbents are more aero that other recumbents.
The guy who re-introduced me to bicycling has since traded in his bicycle for a recumbent. He says he can no longer tolerate the physical discomfort of riding a bicycle for hours. It's ironic because he used to speak very disparagingly about recumbents and the people who rode them, but now denies ever having said those things.

Quote:
All things being equal, a recumbent will always be faster than a diamond-frame. "All things being equal" means the riders are evenly matched, the tires/wheels are the same, etc so all the variable are eliminated except for the bike design itself.
I don't know why they aren't more popular in Florida. I've been dying to test ride one of those two wheeled recumbents someone posted a video of. Unfortunately all they sell around here are the three wheeled type, which probably aren't as fast or as much fun.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #28245
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Wanna know how many hammers I own????
When a hammer is the only tool you own, all the world's a nail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: