Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5956
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
If you look back a few posts you might notice that I stated I've got an unusual situation. I've got a profound hearing loss and wear hearing aids. For watching TV, playing games, or just listening to music I've got a device that wireless distributes the sound to my hearing aids. This means that noise from a computer wouldn't bother me and such noise might have the added benefit of keeping others out of my TV room.

I need to do some more research into the Home Theater space and then ask questions on the avsforum.

So, any rumors on Fallout 4?
Saw that. Just figured that burning an 850+w power supply to run a GTX680 and a ripping proc wasn't the best plan to watch your ripped copy of "Four Weddings And A Funeral."

Horses for courses. HTPCs are small and quiet and draw little power, in general. Gaming rigs are the opposite. Your HTPC won't play games like a full-built rig will, and if you want to do both, you build the rig and shoehorn it into the HTPC role. So it burns more power than your TV to idle while you stream video off of it. It also won't sit unobtrusively next to a TV, which you'll need if you plan to use it to time-shift off-the-air programming. (Or some way to get the antenna/cable feed onto the PC, and record it, then some way to play it back out to the TV.)

Lots to discover over at avsforum. You can lose days there.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #5957
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Lots to discover over at avsforum. You can lose days there.
I have.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #5958
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
If you look back a few posts you might notice that I stated I've got an unusual situation. I've got a profound hearing loss and wear hearing aids. For watching TV, playing games, or just listening to music I've got a device that wireless distributes the sound to my hearing aids. This means that noise from a computer wouldn't bother me and such noise might have the added benefit of keeping others out of my TV room.

I need to do some more research into the Home Theater space and then ask questions on the avsforum.

So, any rumors on Fallout 4?

I can speak from experience that the home theater thing......ROCKS.

Even a ghetto setup like mine. A 9 or 10 foot screen and a recliner is a wonderful wonderful thing. With a little practice you can manage to operate a keyboard securely on one leg, and a mouse on an old laptop pad on the other.

If you've got windows in your room, some blackout curtains and a little velcro makes a great addition.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #5959
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
I have $25 code for Hawken and Planetside if anyone wants to trade for $15 towards WOT.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #5960
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Want to play skyrim, fallout, and the like.

I'm sure I'll get jumped all over for this, and I know I'm a bit late to the party, but why not get a used PS3? You can buy five to fifteen used PS3's for the cost of a decent gaming PC, and the PS3 won't ever need new hardware to play the latest game, or to just stay ahead of the curve. Any game you put in it will just work (after it downloads update for an hour), and you can still watch DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix/Hulu. I think it can even pull stuff from a media server.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #5961
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
I'm sure I'll get jumped all over for this, and I know I'm a bit late to the party, but why not get a used PS3? You can buy five to fifteen used PS3's for the cost of a decent gaming PC, and the PS3 won't ever need new hardware to play the latest game, or to just stay ahead of the curve. Any game you put in it will just work (after it downloads update for an hour), and you can still watch DVD/Blu-Ray/Netflix/Hulu. I think it can even pull stuff from a media server.
Let me be first.

Skyrim and Fallout both play best on the PC and you can still use a game controller if that's your fancy. The PS/3 (and other consoles) eventually go out of support and then become obsolete. The new games won't work and you'll end up doing your own repairs on a device that wasn't designed to be repaired.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #5962
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Let me be first.

Skyrim and Fallout both play best on the PC and you can still use a game controller if that's your fancy. The PS/3 (and other consoles) eventually go out of support and then become obsolete. The new games won't work and you'll end up doing your own repairs on a device that wasn't designed to be repaired.
i can see this argument, but the PC game isn't any cheaper, and the PC system is quite a bit more expensive. lets say you have a PS3 for 250 dollars and it is good to run games for 4 years. I don't see any way that the same price PC system would (A.) have similar specs and (B.) still run new games for the same amount of time. Nor, with a PC do you have to in any way be tech savy. if you can turn it on and select yes, you are good to go with a console.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #5963
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i can see this argument, but the PC game isn't any cheaper, and the PC system is quite a bit more expensive. lets say you have a PS3 for 250 dollars and it is good to run games for 4 years. I don't see any way that the same price PC system would (A.) have similar specs and (B.) still run new games for the same amount of time. Nor, with a PC do you have to in any way be tech savy. if you can turn it on and select yes, you are good to go with a console.
Not when released but they have more sales, especially on DLC's.

A good example is during the holiday season which is when I stock up on games for the coming year, they go on a huge sale for black Friday (about half off) on the console BUT you need to buy those within the first minute or you miss out. For PC games the sales last a few days, and happen other times as well.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #5964
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
New map packs are out for Black Ops 2 on the XBOX. I am impressed with the new maps, all but one flow really well and look as if Treyarch spent some time getting these maps right. I have not played the zombies yet but I hear it is good.
liquidsmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #5965
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
I forgot about new maps today

That said, I didn't really like the last map pack, except for Grind which I thought was pretty good. Downhill, and the dam one were And wasn't there a fourth? I don't remember if so.

Either way, I may start downloading them tonight, but I may not be able to actually play them for another week. Just in time for everyone else to figure the maps out and leave me looking clueless

Gotta get the brakes on my FZ1 fixed I am missing way too much good riding.
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #5966
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Not when released but they have more sales, especially on DLC's.

A good example is during the holiday season which is when I stock up on games for the coming year, they go on a huge sale for black Friday (about half off) on the console BUT you need to buy those within the first minute or you miss out. For PC games the sales last a few days, and happen other times as well.
i dunno, my wife picks up several games each year for the ps3 on black friday mostly for Christmas presents, i rarely buy a new game for myself. doesn't make sense if you don't plan online a lot, as in a month it will be in the game stop at half price or less used and it feels like a new game to me.

from an entry level standpoint cost, though, i can't see how a computer would play out favorably to a console. i've seen single components to a PC system cost as much if not more than an entire console.

and if you buy a console new from someplace like best buy, you can get a 3-4 year warranty. I had an xbox 360 with a ring of death, traded it in on warranty and walked out with a better xbox 360 with larger hard drive, new controller and a new game plus a brand new warranty for the difference in price.

for my purposes, i can't imagine going back to a graphically intense PC experience in the near future.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #5967
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i can see this argument, but the PC game isn't any cheaper
Actually, they are. Gamersgate, Gamefly, Greenmangaming, GoodOldGames etc. have all sorts of sales (weekend sales, midweek sales, coupon rebates, themed sales etc.). You can save some serious m00la. True, in some cases (GMG, GF) you need their client, but it isn't that much of a hassle if you're already familiar with Steam.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #5968
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
Actually, they are. Gamersgate, Gamefly, Greenmangaming, GoodOldGames etc. have all sorts of sales (weekend sales, midweek sales, coupon rebates, themed sales etc.). You can save some serious m00la. True, in some cases (GMG, GF) you need their client, but it isn't that much of a hassle if you're already familiar with Steam.
comparable games? cause sure, there are a TON of inexpensive PC games, but it isn't always an apple to apple comparison.

looking at gamers gate the prices are fairly comparable to console games for popular games like far cry 3, borderlands 2, call of duty, battlefield 3, etc.

now, it isn't even arguable that PC gives you access to MUCH MORE when it comes to quantity of titles.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #5969
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I forgot about new maps today

That said, I didn't really like the last map pack, except for Grind which I thought was pretty good. Downhill, and the dam one were And wasn't there a fourth? I don't remember if so.

Either way, I may start downloading them tonight, but I may not be able to actually play them for another week. Just in time for everyone else to figure the maps out and leave me looking clueless

Gotta get the brakes on my FZ1 fixed I am missing way too much good riding.
downloading..downloading.....downloading....For craps sake! Hurry up!!!

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #5970
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
downloading..downloading.....downloading....For craps sake! Hurry up!!!
Haha! Took about 30 minutes for me, I think. I actually started the process then went and are dinner, so I don't know how long it took.

So far I like Encore, Studio is the exact same as Firing Range from the first Black Ops ( not a bad thing ). Vertigo I am not sure of just yet, I have not worked out a good feel for it. I don't remember what the forth is called, I may not have played it yet. Overall, it may be a pretty decent upgrade.

The new zombies stuff is supposed to be good as well, but I don't play the zombies mode much if at all

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: