Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #2986
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
How much could it possibly cost to get a tank and side covers painted? No body work, removed from the bike? That'd be a super simple job for some company.

In the meantime, for a few bucks, a person could try gloss black vinyl or Plasti-Dip'ing the parts. Again, removed, a shop would likely do it for a very fair price.

Here's an example of a wrapped BMW cafe racer: http://madwraps.wordpress.com/2011/0...mw-cafe-racer/

Is it as nice as brand new paint? Of course not. However--comma--one could change the color every few years for a refreshed looked and guess what's under that wrap? Perfect OEM paint.

Maybe something in blue... ?

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 12:44 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #2987
jnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
My son wanted a CB1000R in the worst way until he saw one in person. Radiator shrouds turned him off. Said it reminded him of a Buell 1125. Ive heard they are awesome bikes.

Added my third farkle to the CB 11 (I like that too) a hemet guardian for 2 helmets to the rear lic plate bracket. Ive got em on 3 of my bikes. Very handy.

+1 on the helmet guardian.......

09 Versys
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #2988
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Bet they will sell all they import, even being only one color. Keeps production costs down. Bet they will add some more colors for here if the sales are high enough. A metallic green would be nice...

Harley seems to be about the only company left that really gives the customer a wide variety of color choices.
Yes. You can have any color you want - so long as it's Candy Apple Red.

There's something familiar about those words...
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #2989
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Lol..I hope you get yours soon M3-SRT8. Got to be tough waiting with everyone getting theirs and writing reviews
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #2990
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Ironically, I'm sure I would have chosen the candy red regardless if they also offered us the white or black versions. I have seen photos of the bike in a very dark candy blue that is very attractive as well.

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #2991
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 942
[QUOTE=rainm40150;21190796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Western Co..where did you pick yours up?
All Sports Honda, Grand Junction: see Peter.
Thanks, but I always buy from Sun in Denver. But I am surprised that All sports even ordered one. That is good!

I've had mine reserved since Nov, and its been in for a week! Going to try to get it picked up by Sat if the weather will let up and I get a break from shipping parts
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #2992
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Talk of the helmet guardian reminded me that one of the few rather cheesy components on the CB1100 is the rear tail light mount (in my opinion at least). How well does that piece of plastic seem to hold up when you suspend a couple of helmets from it?

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #2993
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
How does the CB compare to the Super Tenere, being a twin with a 33" seat height? I considered an ST, but got a Tiger 1050 instead. Big mistake ergo wise...
I looked long and hard at the ST last fall, took multiple test rides on the bike as it was my favorite of the large adv style bikes. The ST feels gigantic compared to the CB11. Being 6' I had no problem with the height of the ST; however, the CB is a much sportier position and probably closer to the Tiger. Raising up on the pegs of the ST is natural, not so much so with the CB. I don't think you would want to stand up for any distance on the CB. The ergos are different in large part due to the mission of the bike. My decision to go with the CB was based on a reassessment of where and how I was really going to use the bike.
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #2994
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Talk of the helmet guardian reminded me that one of the few rather cheesy components on the CB1100 is the rear tail light mount (in my opinion at least). How well does that piece of plastic seem to hold up when you suspend a couple of helmets from it?

Guth..i have only hung one on it so far, but it looked to me that it was bolted to a metal bracket that was bolted to the rear fender thru some rubber bushings. The plastic tail light bracket also uses those bolts to attach to the fender. I dont think its going to be an issue, but I will keep an eye on it. You dont ride with a helmet hanging on there, you just hang it there while parked.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #2995
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
How does the CB compare to the Super Tenere, being a twin with a 33" seat height? I considered an ST, but got a Tiger 1050 instead. Big mistake ergo wise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01 View Post
I looked long and hard at the ST last fall, took multiple test rides on the bike as it was my favorite of the large adv style bikes. The ST feels gigantic compared to the CB11. Being 6' I had no problem with the height of the ST; however, the CB is a much sportier position and probably closer to the Tiger. Raising up on the pegs of the ST is natural, not so much so with the CB. I don't think you would want to stand up for any distance on the CB. The ergos are different in large part due to the mission of the bike. My decision to go with the CB was based on a reassessment of where and how I was really going to use the bike.
dd50, yes the ST is pretty much as described by Oldgoat. Taller guys would get along great on the Yamaha. At 5'10", I have to have the seat in the low setting to get my feet down securely. In the low setting, I've found that the pegs, believe it or not, are a little too high and hard on my knees for 500+ mile days, so I will be buying adjustable footpegs soon. The bars were also a bit too much of a reach with the stock setup. I've added 3/4" risers and rotated the bars back a bit to help with the reach. Despite all the above, it really is a comfortable bike for long rides, and is surprisingly good off-road for such a big beast. I also like how you get a good view of traffic up on your 'perch' on this bike. I find myself at eye-level to oncoming 4x4 trucks. Guys on cruisers are so far below my eye level I think of them as leather-clad Shriners on mini-bikes.

In other news, we got 2 feet of snow this weekend. It's going to be a while yet before I can pick up the CB. Grrrrr.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #2996
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
How much could it possibly cost to get a tank and side covers painted? No body work, removed from the bike? That'd be a super simple job for some company.

In the meantime, for a few bucks, a person could try gloss black vinyl or Plasti-Dip'ing the parts. Again, removed, a shop would likely do it for a very fair price.

Here's an example of a wrapped BMW cafe racer: http://madwraps.wordpress.com/2011/0...mw-cafe-racer/

Is it as nice as brand new paint? Of course not. However--comma--one could change the color every few years for a refreshed looked and guess what's under that wrap? Perfect OEM paint.

Maybe something in blue... ?

I've never really considered wrapping a tank cause I think I assumed it would be too curvy to do nicely, but now that you brought it up I think that's the smart way to go, that way it stays original underneath, and it even provides protection for the paint. I'd guess the prices or wrapping and painting are probably similar.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #2997
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,036
I started another thread not seeing this one...Was out this weekend and saw a Band New CB 1100 and very much like the bike.. UJM and the style of Bike most of us grew up with.

Some Pics...

Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #2998
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

I take it that it belonged to the gray haired dude in the black leather and jeans?

He looks like he could be one of us.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #2999
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
For trivia buffs: the one sitting at the local dealer is #226.
JSYK.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #3000
tlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ortega Highway??
tlm is offline   Reply With Quote