Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #17176
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
A few pics of my first ride after the winter.
Tomorrow I'm leaving for a five days trip.
[IMG]Image hébergée par servimg.com[/IMG]

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #17177
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
I can see your more and more frequent comback, Tiger Are you missing the bike or the community?
Ha ha. Missing the bike? Maybe. Every time I see one I think I want one. They're such a great looking bike. No comeback though. Just popping in as I think I can offer advice here and there.

Still part of the community just a different section.

I'm finding the bike below so much easier in every way on me old bones.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #17178
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 189
Hey blk tiger, so you used to own a scram but changed to the tiger 800? I'm guessing the Tiger is really just better at pretty much everything (highway touring, off road, more power, better suspension,) do you regret the switch? I'm looking at both of these bikes now as one will more than likely serve as my next bike. I find myself wanting the Scram but i feel like in the real world the tiger would be a better choice. what are your thoughts?
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #17179
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvegas View Post
Hey blk tiger, so you used to own a scram but changed to the tiger 800? I'm guessing the Tiger is really just better at pretty much everything (highway touring, off road, more power, better suspension,) do you regret the switch? I'm looking at both of these bikes now as one will more than likely serve as my next bike. I find myself wanting the Scram but i feel like in the real world the tiger would be a better choice. what are your thoughts?
I can chime in as I've owned both a Scrambler and now ride a Tiger 800XC. You're right on all accounts, nothing wrong with the Scrambler but yes the Tiger is just a better bike in all respects. I had a blast on my Scrambler...

Just enjoying the Tiger way more... even though I never did this on the Scrambler

Plus the cat didn't like the Scrambler (maybe burned himself on the high pipes)
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #17180
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Yeah, Bross and I owned our Scrams at the same time and we both took it to places it wasn't designed to go. I liked the Scram but it beat me to death every ride. It is as he says; the Tiger is better in every way except looks.

Me in the background helping a Strom gone wrong in Slovenia.

Getting it wet in Norway...

Whereas the Tiger can keep company with the KTMs
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #17181
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
I'm still on my scrambler, and already know that the Tiger will do everything better, except looking good... Like Black tiger, I get beat up a bit riding it, and am beginning to consider if that cost is worth it to preserve my vanity

Besides aesthetics, the other major benefit of the scrambler ( for me ) is that I ride it in a much more "laid back" manner. The Tiger evokes adrenaline, the scrambler proves a sedative. I slow down and enjoy the scenery, smell the roses so to speak. I know I'm safer on the scrambler, tend to ride it at 50-70% of the speeds I'd ride the tiger. I know the tiger isn't a race bike, but something about the tripe, the brakes, suspension, etc begs to go faster.

I'm pretty sure for me it's only a matter of time till I make the switch, but I'm grateful for the last 11k miles on the scrambler. And who knows, maybe i'll win the lottery and be able to have them both in the garage for long enough to see which one gets the long term nod...
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #17182
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Besides aesthetics, the other major benefit of the scrambler ( for me ) is that I ride it in a much more "laid back" manner. The Tiger evokes adrenaline, the scrambler proves a sedative. I slow down and enjoy the scenery, smell the roses so to speak. I know I'm safer on the scrambler, tend to ride it at 50-70% of the speeds I'd ride the tiger. I know the tiger isn't a race bike, but something about the tripe, the brakes, suspension, etc begs to go faster.
I actually don't ride the Tiger that much quicker on the dirt. It's just that now I can look at the scenery more because I don't have to pick the smoothest line any more.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #17183
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Ha ha. Missing the bike? Maybe. Every time I see one I think I want one. They're such a great looking bike. No comeback though. Just popping in as I think I can offer advice here and there.

Still part of the community just a different section.

I'm finding the bike below so much easier in every way on me old bones.
Blacktiger, over here in Australia the Tigers have been getting some attention of late, check out Tigers round Australia

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739887

or Tigers in the Flinders ranges

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878437

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #17184
Skidmarksg
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Oil cooler removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
The solution I'm planning is the oil cooler removal kit.
You gain weight and a much more cleaner appearance.
Hi, I assume you meant lose weight but tell me more. I have heard of this before, see Jack Wild, but is it a simple case of just blocking off the ports on the head and the return lines to the sump and let the oil find its own way south?
Skiddy
Skidmarksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #17185
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarksg View Post
Hi, I assume you meant lose weight but tell me more. I have heard of this before, see Jack Wild, but is it a simple case of just blocking off the ports on the head and the return lines to the sump and let the oil find its own way south?
Skiddy
I don't know Jack Wild, tell me more.
I was thinking about the streetmaster kit witch use the subframe as an oil cooler
http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #17186
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Blacktiger, over here in Australia the Tigers have been getting some attention of late, check out Tigers round Australia

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739887

or Tigers in the Flinders ranges

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878437

Thanks, yeah, seen all those. It was you guys "down under" that first found that the stepper motor gets dusty and needs help.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #17187
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
A few pics of my first ride after the winter.
Tomorrow I'm leaving for a five days trip.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
great helmet, who makes it?
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #17188
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Thanks, yeah, seen all those. It was you guys "down under" that first found that the stepper motor gets dusty and needs help.
We have plenty of dust !!!

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #17189
Skidmarksg
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Oil coolers

Quote:
I don't know Jack Wild, tell me more.
I was thinking about the streetmaster kit witch use the subframe as an oil cooler
http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html
Sorry my Brain Fart it should have read Jack Pine.
http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-t100
A quote fronm the article "Thanks to all for the insightful comments. The oil cooler was the crux of this build. Initially I was committed to a minimal cooler using a Spurgin heat exchanger but could not achieve the lean effect I wanted. My brother’s encouragement (at times dangerous but always fun) pushed me to do the final build without it. Before I pulled the trigger, I talked with Bill Himmelsbach (http://www.eurosports.net/staf... about his scrambler builds. Bill knows these bikes inside and out and assured me that the oil cooler loop is independent from the lubrication circuit and that capping the feed does not stress the pump. He runs a big bore kit and mild cams without a cooler. After 3000 miles (including a track day and a flogging by the moto journalist Alan Cathcart), Bill disassembled the engine and saw no unusual wear. Furthermore, Bill said there was no color change around the piston wrist pin, an area that turns a telltale gold tint with overheating. That said, I offer the Spurgin cooler set-up as a no cost option. I do not run one on the development mule, but plan to install it when the bike is prepared for my Delhi to Leh-Ladakh ride next spring. Feel free to email directly with additional questions at james@hammarhead.com ."

I have been using Bill Gately's oil coolers for a couple of years with out incident. http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/.

No connection with any of these suppliers other than a customer of Bill Gately
YMMV
Skiddy
Skidmarksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #17190
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Hey Vic,

Buy one of each! Works very well for me

As much as I lurve the Mighty Scrambler if I could only have one, it would be the Tiger for all the reasons you list.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote