Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #8491
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
as long as people will be able to start the engine!
???
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #8492
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsberger View Post
Bought a Powerlett Socket today and plan to install this weekend. Got wiring routing work to do but should be OK, tight but that is good!!

When connecting to the battery the ground post is accessible the hot side is not but there is a hot (red) positive cable wired beside the battery on the frame for boosting etc. is this what they connected to on yours ??

Thx Carlsberger
I pulled the cover off and checked. They wired directly to the battery on both the negative post and the positive post (so they must have pulled the battery out to get at the positive post).

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13
NP Trips-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #8493
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
extra outlet

I installed this same socket on mine. Same place but just a little further back on that side piece since there was a little more room behind the panel. I just wired directly to the terminals and it's working as, well, it should.

The only PITA was dealing with a) the big styrofoam block in the battery compartment and b) the little rubber nipple grabs that keep the battery cover in place. I can see some time in the future dropping the battery to the bottom and putting a spacer on top to keep it from rattling. Easier to deal with wired fuses, easier to access top of battery and a bonus of a lower cog. Not sure what to do about the rubber nipple connectors....yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #8494
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Just for s---s and giggles, we weighed my Dad's LC today. This was done on an analog bathroom scale, one wheel at a time, with the bike perfectly balanced on it. Front was 258, rear 255. Bike was full minus 78 miles at 45 MPG (US), so I figure 10lb more fuel could be added (1 2/3 gallons at 6lb/gal). Total curb weight is thus 523lb (give or take due to bathroom-scale accuracy).

This is a "Premium" trim level bike, cast wheels, ESA, heated grips, both seats + stock rear rack in place, and the OEM Nav IV mount (but without the Nav IV on it). No farkles added/removed. No bags.

My '11 TB with ESA, Touratech Nav IV setup, BMW crash bar (lower only), and laced wheels weighs 540 full of gas.

I think that crash bar is about 6 lb...so it seems to me for ESA bikes...the LC is lighter. My old bike, (a fully loaded non-ESA '08) was 512lb.

That "525lb" number they quote seems to be for an ESA bike...unless the ESA just doesn't weigh any more than the stock suspension. Bear in mind the LC does not have a front preload adjustment motor for its ESA, which I'm guessing are relatively heavy.

The hardest part of the whole deal was getting two GS' into the bathroom.

/dev/null screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 01:27 AM
/dev/null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #8495
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Do it yourself. Ain't that hard.
Nope no time to do it myself.

All good called dealer to check on options that should be in & he got my service move to early next week & add all the new bits. :)
Note well the BMW LED headlight protector. Apparently 2 hours work for a BMW mechanic + engine bars & rad guards etc.

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #8496
pauljm
R1200GS WC

Oddometer: 51
Nav bar attachment for mount

Has anyone mounted anything on the sat nav mount bar? Looking for a sturdy clamp & arm to mount hand held radio. Beside the GPS.

R1200GS LC
pauljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #8497
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I suspect they should have given to you WITH the Akra...
The Akra is still at the dealer and they fit it Saturday, but if I could see the fitting instructions first, I was thinking of doing it myself if it looks easy. But Saturday is only 3 days away, so I'll wait.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #8498
carlsberger
ManyPauser

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
I pulled the cover off and checked. They wired directly to the battery on both the negative post and the positive post (so they must have pulled the battery out to get at the positive post).
Thanks for looking will do same

Carlsberger
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #8499
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 833
Thumb

Thanks for this. It's good to have a real world verification of BMW's weight claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Just for s---s and giggles, we weighed my Dad's LC today. This was done on an analog bathroom scale, one wheel at a time, with the bike perfectly balanced on it. Front was 258, rear 255. Bike was full minus 78 miles at 45 MPG (US), so I figure 10lb more fuel could be added (1 2/3 gallons at 6lb/gal). Total curb weight is thus 523lb (give or take due to bathroom-scale accuracy).

This is a "Premium" trim level bike, cast wheels, ESA, heated grips, both seats + stock rear rack in place, and the OEM Nav IV mount (but without the Nav IV on it). No farkles added/removed. No bags.

My '11 TB with ESA, Touratech Nav IV setup, BMW crash bar (lower only), and laced wheels weighs 540 full of gas.

I think that crash bar is about 6 lb...so it seems to me for ESA bikes...the LC is lighter. My old bike, (a fully loaded non-ESA '08) was 512lb.

That "525lb" number they quote seems to be for an ESA bike...unless the ESA just doesn't weigh any more than the stock suspension. Bear in mind the LC does not have a front preload adjustment motor for its ESA, which I'm guessing are relatively heavy.

Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #8500
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Eek jus sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877412

the k1600 /6 has similar starter and tons of problems, look on those forums
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #8501
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 989
Thanks for the GS LC weigh-in

Did exactly the same thing with my 2010 Multistrada 1200S Touring, although the fuel tank was full.

Results: 260 lb F, 260 lb R : 520 lb total

So the GS LC is basically the exact weight of the Multi. Now if only the GS Touratech pannier rack wasn't so malformed (need to transfer the TT panniers from the Multi to the GS if I were to buy).

Thanks again.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post

1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #8502
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,694
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #8503
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Someone translate that?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #8504
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
The Akra is still at the dealer and they fit it Saturday, but if I could see the fitting instructions first, I was thinking of doing it myself if it looks easy. But Saturday is only 3 days away, so I'll wait.
It gives step by step diagrams and directions, very easy honest.You just need a couple of tools and some copper paste.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #8505
RuckedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
LC in stock

Got a call from BMW dealer yesterday telling me they got a American spec available if I want it. (Mil sales here in Germany) Seems after I was not interested in buying one that would not be ready for delivery till June they did some calling around Germany.

It has the comfort and dynamic pkg. along with cruise and a silver can. I'm wondering if the BMW GPS is compatable with my XM sat antenna I use with my Zumo 550? I'm not hell bent on buying proprietary GPS units (learned lesson with my Vovlo) but the thumb wheel seems better than reaching up to mess with the zumo while on the go.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is online now   Reply With Quote