Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #46
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
The 17"x3.50 is 3-1/2" wide and the 17"x4.25 is...as you can guess 4-1/4" wide. It has to do with what tire you can run safely on it.
A 3.5" rim can run a 140 even a 150 wide tire where the 4.25 can run wider.
Alot of people like running the narrower rimbecause the tire buldges out over the rim more so the tire protects the rim from dings more, but others do not like that it narrows up the tire profile.

To put it in perspective the KTM 530 only runs a 2-1/2" rim and it runs a 140 rear tire.
What tire do you plan on running?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #47
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
What tire do you plan on running?
No idea! So I reckon there is not much difference between 3.50 and 4.25 other than the looks.. but would that become a factor with the weight of harley?

When I did TAT, I used Kenda 270 (knobbies) and was expecting to change it out in Moab. Well, I end up using the same tires to Port Orford, OR and back to home, and used same tires riding up to Cleveland OH and back home.. didn't change it until I sold the KLR last Dec then I changed it.

So I guess I'll just go with the flow.. probably highway tires for a year before I change it out for trail run in 2015?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #48
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

The Kenda 270 is available in 4.60 and 5.10 x 17"...so either rim width would work with those 2 tire options.

Now it would be simply looks and cost factors. Bigger is not always better. At least in this case...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Thanks for the info.. sold the set of fuel/oil tank and front/rear fender so had it shipped.

I'll go with 17 x 3.5 Should be getting most of parts together in next few weeks and if my sale streak continues, I might will have the project done by end of April. Keeping my finger crossed!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #50
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

By the way WAWC,
I had to cut a hole in a stock BMW R1150 Rockster metal tank to pound out a dent and while I have a piece of the sheetmetal off I decided to measure it with this thread in mind.

I filed off all burrs on the edges and measured it with the exterior paint and interior red seal coating and it only measured 0.035" or 0.9mm.

That is even thinner than JTH and I had speculated at 0.060"...half actually. So that is only 22 gauge sheetmetal. If you were to buy and build a tank out of 18 gauge you would be substantially heavier even that a factory BMW metal tank.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #51
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
By the way WAWC,
I had to cut a hole in a stock BMW R1150 Rockster metal tank to pound out a dent and while I have a piece of the sheetmetal off I decided to measure it with this thread in mind.

I filed off all burrs on the edges and measured it with the exterior paint and interior red seal coating and it only measured 0.035" or 0.9mm.

That is even thinner than JTH and I had speculated at 0.060"...half actually. So that is only 22 gauge sheetmetal. If you were to buy and build a tank out of 18 gauge you would be substantially heavier even that a factory BMW metal tank.

Hope that helps.

Kellymac,

Thanks for the info and will use that...

Guess what came in the package today?

It's a factory 1200 Sport shocks and it is 13.5 long, however, it is most likely a bit too soft for me with spring rate at 54/82 lbs/in. I'll defer the plan to change out the spring using factory 1200 Custom shocks (part # 54668-04) that has 90/130 lbs/in spring rate later on. This shocks cost me $300 shipped and if I do use the 1200 Custom shock it is usually under $100 for a pair meaning I could save few hundred bucks on a new 'off-road performance' shocks.

So got a little busy because I am expecting another package in few days, used 21" front excel rim with KTM hub that I got for $140 shipped.

But first, a new toy for my project.. lifter from HF and yea, I moved the bike to my dad's shop.. you can tell I have a lot of room to work on my moto now.

Removed rear wheel to wash it and take pic of it (sell it) then changed the shocks and mounted wheel back on.

You can see the difference in length although it may not seems very much different but it really made a big difference. With old shock, there was about 5" ground clearance but with new shocks, there is 8" ground clearance.. I can't wait to see how much more when 17" rear rim is mounted. And I can notice big difference in handling because I can move it around much better. I took it outside to wash it (forgot to take pic) So far I am pleased with the length of the shocks.

Removed the handlebar (god, it was friggin heavy!! I was surprised!) and front wheel. I was hoping to remove the fork and triple tree today but that is where I got stuck and decided to wait until I find out how to remove the triple tree. Turn out I will need a 35mm or 1 3/8" socket to get the top off. I had hoped to put other fork on today so it will be ready to put front excel rim on in few days just to get the feeling. Guess have to wait few days!

Now I need to decide if I want to stay with harley handlebar and its brake/clutch/mirror etc set-up or switch to dirt bike handlebar using 7/8" and its set-up? I'm gonna stop by Ron Ayers Motorsport in Greenville, NC and bring my harley handlebar so I can compare the difference side by side to make a decision. Weight is everything with this bike! I'm trying to go as light as possible!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #52
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

The stock Harley controls are substantially heavier than a more basic dirtbike/dualsport set up.

But, I am not sure about the throttle and master cylinder set up you are using.

Alot of people that go to a dirtbike throttle tube find the throttle to be hard to rotate with some carbs. Since you already have all of the controls for the HD, I am not sure the weight savings is worth the cost and the possible side effects.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #53
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Yes, you are probably right about harley control and other brand control being different but I am hoping that won't be the case. That's why I am taking them with me to Ron Ayers this week and go over it with them. Theory Kawasaki controls should work OK because Kawasaki and Harley used same carb company, Keihin carb. As I recall when I owned the KLR650, I remember reading FAQ and it said that if I run into any carb issues, harley part # ... would work with the KLR because they use same carbs. However I have a S&S Super E carb so that could be a problem.

Maybe not.. we will see.. Stay tuned.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #54
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Just a few quick update..

1) Picked up new head from harley today.. new piston kit will arrive late next week so engine should be done within 2-3 weeks from now. Still need to get cylinder jugs honed if it need to be done and need to order new gaskets as well.

2) Found out that I can use Buell's cable and/or controls on a 7/8" handlebar so that is the direction I am going with..

3) I decided to get rid of the rear brake reservoir because it is heavy (to me) and I did not feel comfortable with the idea of having it on side right next to engine. Bad nasty spill could destroy it.. So I am going to adopt the Buell brake linkage that will feed to the brake reservoir and I can just put the brake reservoir safely inside the frame wherever I desire and will not change the performance of rear brake. See pic: (stolen from XLForum where I got the idea after asking how to change pre-04 rear brake master cylinder to 04+)

(If you observe and get a closer look at JimmyTheHog or JohnWesley or other pre-04 sportster, you will see where the rear master cylinder is closer to the peg. You will see the difference)

4) #3 gave me new idea what to do with the front sprocket cover because that factory sprocket cover weight a ton! Working on a design for that using aluminum plate.

5) The hub that I got for free from the rim donated to me by a local harley dealer turned out to be 'bad' but don't worry.

Got a free HD cafe race 18" X 3.00 aluminum rim.

6) The 21" X 2.15 Excel rim for front is here that I got off eBay for $140 shipped is here!

7) With $ I save against new rims, I have decided to order a Eastwood Powder Coating set. I am gonna work on powder coating set-up and will do a cool color design :-D

8) The order for springs, seals, bushing, and fork oil from Alex of Konflict Motorsports is processing at the moment.. It should arrive soon for re-valve of my 50mm WP Extreme forks.

So project is starting to come together..

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:48 PM
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #55
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

In case you wonder the difference with pre-04 and 04+ rear brake reservoir:

pre-04:

04+

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #56
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Nice progress and good score on the front wheel.
The spoke holes on that free hub do look worn pretty badly. Good call ditching it.

The rear brake MC can be damaged if it has the built in resevior or the remote resevior. On a remote res the hose can easily be knocked off and lose all of your fluid more easily than damaging the aluminum res housing. But both are vulnerable to some extent, but also they are fairly well protected by the foot peg.

Trade off either way.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #57
fnjeep314
Its a Tigger

Oddometer: 125
Any new updates? Cant wait to see how this thing turns out!!
fnjeep314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #58
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnjeep314 View Post
Any new updates? Cant wait to see how this thing turns out!!
The project is moving slowly like a grandma molasses right now. I am currently going through Physical Therapy and it has taken me one step back. The pain has actually increased than it was before the PT so I am not sure what went wrong? For now I am halting all the activities including this project so I can focus on getting my back healed.

However, the latest with this project is that I got free stock valve spring and retainers from Hammer Performance to put on both heads and the cylinder walls were bored from 3.500 to 3.512 so it can work with forged aluminum pistons I purchased to handle any octane fuel and I picked it up from the shop last week. KTM Supermoto front fender also came in last week. I am waiting on fork spring kits including oil, seals, and bushing from Konflict Motorsport (ADVrider member) to come in anytime soon. So far, I have most of the parts I need to put the bike together. I think I will try to get to it this May, hopefully.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #59
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

New update.

Happy Memorial Day!! My back has been making good progress and I am slowly getting active but being very careful not to rush myself back into daily routine. Follow-up visit with Spine Doctor on Tuesday next week to determine what is the next step. Up to this point, did a depth research to be sure that Buell controls will work with sportster. It is confirmed that the Buell clutch cable will work with foreign clutch lever controls. Sportster's throttle cables is almost similar as foreign throttle cables but there are screws on both end which is not the case with foreign throttle cables. Still trying to see if the harley throttle cables will work with dirt bike throttle twist but none of the dealer around here carry a twist in stock!

Won solo seat on eBay for $66 shipped so it should be in next week. Still waiting on springs, seals, bushing, and seals from Konflict Motorsports. Been two months and Alex were very apologizing of that but I assured him it is not a big deal. Given my health situation, there is no reason to throw a fit but I will be glad when it arrive. Got free 48-tooth rear sprocket from Ray Price Harley-Davidson but not sure if it is the one I will use.. will see!

Got old stove in place ready for Powder Coating project. Got few harley shape logos and in texts sticky stencils to airbrush paint it on bike.

The work should continue in few weeks when gaskets arrive to complete the engine project.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
Boanerges1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Boanerges1 is offline   Reply With Quote