User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #121
notrivia OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Cotter Pin?

No Max, as explained to Railbender, I have'nt measured the chain. I don't have a micrometer, and I doubt if I could reliaby extrapolate from a ruler a correct length. I'm just waiting to see what Suzuki, Ek, and Regina say. My supposition is that the Regina was the correct length, and that the EK and DID were not.

As to your half-link and cotterpin - I would really like to see a picture of that ...

Thanks for your insight.
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #122
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,448
micrometer
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #123
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
No Max, as explained to Railbender, I have'nt measured the chain. I don't have a micrometer, and I doubt if I could reliaby extrapolate from a ruler a correct length.

You measure with a ruler, not a micrometer. You don't just measure one link. You measure the 20-pitch length, which is the length between 21 pins.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #124
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
micrometer
dial indicator
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #125
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,665
The OP is looking at half the length of the adjustment range over the length of the swing arm, ...

So let us say 1/2" over 24" ... you could do that with a tape measure!

Never mind a micrometer en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer or a vernier caliper...

Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #126
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,448
9 pages of comments and no ending? WTF Inquiring minds want to know! Tell us notrivia what did the chain companies say? Where are the adjusters on new bikes?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #127
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
It's not uncommon for people up against major companies and their conspiracies to just disappear or be silenced. He probably sold out.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #128
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
It's not uncommon for people up against major companies and their conspiracies to just disappear or be silenced. He probably sold out.

For a new, slightly shorter chain?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #129
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,002
His last post was on the 8th, I am rather concerned about his safety.
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #130
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
For a new, slightly shorter chain?
He was onto something much bigger.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #131
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,963
Quote:
No Max, as explained to Railbender, I have'nt measured the chain. I don't have a micrometer, and I doubt if I could reliaby extrapolate from a ruler a correct length. I'm just waiting to see what Suzuki, Ek, and Regina say. My supposition is that the Regina was the correct length, and that the EK and DID were not.

As to your half-link and cotterpin - I would really like to see a picture of that ...

Thanks for your insight.

It's been 4 months now. Curious as to what you have determined????

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #132
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
well i do have a tape measure but also...

a brain. if the links of the chain were an improper length pin-to-pin they would not fit the sprockets. if the sprockets were made with large valleys between teeth they wouldn't fit the chain. making a longer chain link to fit a new sprocket tooth profile would COST the manufacturers $ in R&D and cause a host of issues with non-interchangeable parts from one to another. If there's any discrepancy in link sizing it falls either within a tolerance of manufacturer's specs which would fluctuate from one to another, or it falls outside what will fit and people will return them. All of which costs the manufacturer money. I work with tolerances and maximizing profits through "stacking" tolerances all the time. It's not a scheme, it's business and you're crazy if you think new covert specifications have been implemented in 520 chain manufacturing to save steel. It would be a lose-lose.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #133
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Well Max, everything is strictly stock. I've found in 60,000 miles on my Sv and more than a million on my other bikes that the standard size and manufacture's
sprockets give the best mileage and power charecteristic's.

Victor 441 - Thankyou for your info and the wikipedia article. But it seems to me that the Chain makers are not being fair as my chain with the standard links should be at the begining of adjustment, not half-way through.

I used to ride a Victor 441. My hands tingle and my right ankle hurts every time I think of it. Probably the premier motorcycle for developing mechanical skills. I went for A CL450 instead ...
So the one thing you are not thinking about is the bikes axle to axle wheelbase. The mfgr wants that set to a certain dimension for best handling characteristics. Most bike's adjustment on the swingarm/axle slot ends up in the middle. It is up to you to change that if you want to.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #134
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
It's been 4 months now. Curious as to what you have determined????

He still hasnt posted since 4/8 I fear for his safety
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #135
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
dial indicator
Caliper.