User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
tburick OP
BLESSED

Oddometer: 16
Scooter Cargo Trailers!

Just wanted to share some of the scooter cargo trailers I've designed and built over the past few years.
I currently own a Vespa PX150, Honda Ruckus, and Honda Metropolitan. I've built cargo trailers for all three bikes.

Last summer I rode my 49cc Ruckus 7,330 miles on a solo charity ride. I went from Pittsburgh, PA to Matamoros Mexico...then from Mexico to Santa Barbara, CA. The journey took about three months. I had the Ruckus trailer on my journey...and it worked out great. My goal was to ride 10,000 miles but I got hit by an RV in California and my arm was broken. I fought with the ER doctors to put my arm in a cast in a position that would allow me to continue the journey but they refused...lol...imagine that...

Enjoy the pics and feel free to ask any questions.

Tom

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.

tburick screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 08:38 PM
tburick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Wow! Very nice. Would you share details on your hitch system?
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
WOW, amazing work. And to ride a 50cc scooter 7,300 miles, now that's an Iron Butt Rider!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
tburick OP
BLESSED

Each one had a completely different hitch system...so it's kind of hard to describe...the hitches are always the hardest part...lol...

The Ruckus hitch was the most elaborate and difficult...my friend who is a professional industrial designer did the hitch design.

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,297
Oh, well now, those are just too cool! As an adventure guy, I really like the Ruckus rig.

Outta Pittsburgh? Really? Where's the Steelers trailer?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburick View Post
Last summer I rode my 49cc Ruckus 7,330 miles on a solo charity ride. I went from Pittsburgh, PA to Matamoros Mexico...then from Mexico to Santa Barbara, CA. The journey took about three months.

That seriously rocks

Outstanding workmanship with a good eye for aesthetics

Color me impressed.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
zipper421
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
cool

those are awesome
and your mission is cool to
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Wow very nice.

Great work.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Those trailers are excellent !!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
single wheel trailer

Those are great kit! Do you fabricate and sell or sell plans?

I have a Rokon 2X2 and have considered the single wheel trailer they sell, but it is not road legal.

Your designs would be much more functional both on and off road.

Do you mind if I post a link to these pictures on the Rokon forums?

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Now this is to cool. Those trailers are really nice.My hat off to you.I know the Ruckus scooter has one hell of a following,but to do what you are doing is great.Ever hit Wisconsin.You have a place to crash..Now thats ADV Riding...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,925
They`re all absolutely brilliant...thank you for showing us.

They not only appear to be well built,but they also are aesthetically pleasing too.

Might be worth posting your pics in 'Battle Scooters' too,so the scooter fans who might not enter here can see them too.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Beautiful work. Really. Most folks are afraid to post around here if it doesn't have a training wheel. Thanks for putting it here so we could see it.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
tburick OP
BLESSED

Montague,
I don't mind if you post the pics in other forums. Please feel free.

I've thought about starting a business designing and building scooter (and small displacement motorcycle) cargo trailers. I don't know if there's enough interest out there to keep such a company sustainable...because if I'd do it, it would be a full time venture...I have no interest in pursuing it part time. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy

I think the bigger issue might be cost. In the age of made-in-China junk, where everything is cheap, cheap, cheap...my trailers might not be viable because of the cost. That's my biggest concern.

In my mind, my trailers are rolling art...I spend a huge amount of time on the aesthetics...(make no mistake, they are equally functional)...but the aesthetics are paramount to me. There's a ton of time an materials that go into each one.

Even if I designed a few standard models and "mass produced" them in small quantities, they'd still be $900 - $1,000...and I wouldn't be buying a Mercedes with the profits...

I recently designed a cost-reduced, open frame scooter cargo trailer that looks cool and could sell for $600 - $700. Not quite as "WOW" as the other ones, but a pretty damn cool trailer in it's own right.

Because my trailers are all one-offs, I've probably got $1,200 - $1,300 tied up in each one in time / materials. As a scooter enthusiast, I have no problem dropping a grand+ on a trailer. I've got myself convinced that I'm the only guy out there that would do that. Anyone care to prove me wrong?...lol...

Would any of you drop a grand on a beautiful, functional trailer for your scoot or small displacement motorcycle? If not, what is your price threshold? I am just looking for ANY reason to start a scooter cargo trailer company...lol...

Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburick View Post
that would allow me to continue the journey but they refused...lol...imagine that...

Love the Alice pack frame/luggage rack....lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote