ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #136
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 164
That's a great point about having to move your arms. Although the Napoleon mirrors are better than stock, I still have to contort to see well

I'm pretty sold on trying the bar ends but I'm having a tough time finding a simple bolt on set that utilises the stock bar end mounts and what not. I don't want to cut or move or trim what I have now.

Maybe I'm not looking smart enough :)
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #137
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
I picked this up this past winter. 2500miles on the clock and had been sitting outside a long time. Still has an 03 inspection sticker.

The tank had a ton of dried gas, and a little rust. Cleaned that out. Replaced the fuel pump, a turn signal, and a brake lever (from a no-speed drop) and she looks good as new. Took a while to get the fuel into the system, but once it was there she fired right up. Now starts right away with no choke and idles fine. Took her down the block and had my first taste of how fast this bike is.

Got some new tires and just waiting to get them mounted now.



Any must do mods? I'm a stock bike kinda guy, but you never know what's essential.
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #138
Just Max
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Just Max's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA Amish Country
Oddometer: 184
Ride it!!

Picked mine up in December. Looove it.

__________________
I put the F in luck
Just Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #139
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer
 
Jnich77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando Fl
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
I picked this up this past winter. 2500miles on the clock and had been sitting outside a long time. Still has an 03 inspection sticker.

The tank had a ton of dried gas, and a little rust. Cleaned that out. Replaced the fuel pump, a turn signal, and a brake lever (from a no-speed drop) and she looks good as new. Took a while to get the fuel into the system, but once it was there she fired right up. Now starts right away with no choke and idles fine. Took her down the block and had my first taste of how fast this bike is.

Got some new tires and just waiting to get them mounted now.



Any must do mods? I'm a stock bike kinda guy, but you never know what's essential.

Honestly, no mods are essential when it comes to the 919...lol. Honda got it right the first time I guess...lol.

although, a CBR 900 exhaust will drop about 18 pounds off your bike...and the CBR rims look muuuch better imho.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #140
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheitman View Post
Ride it!!

Picked mine up in December. Looove it.

Great color!

How's the windscreen. Is it aftermarket?
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #141
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Honestly, no mods are essential when it comes to the 919...lol. Honda got it right the first time I guess...lol.

although, a CBR 900 exhaust will drop about 18 pounds off your bike...and the CBR rims look muuuch better imho.
What year rims?
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #142
Just Max
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Just Max's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA Amish Country
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
Great color!

How's the windscreen. Is it aftermarket?
It's a factory Honda with some krylon tint. Doesn't offer much (any) protection, but I like the way it looks.....
__________________
I put the F in luck
Just Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #143
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheitman View Post
It's a factory Honda with some krylon tint.
I was just going to ask how you got the glossy look....
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #144
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer
 
Jnich77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando Fl
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
What year rims?

CBR F3 front rim and CBR 900 rear rim. The rear rim is a direct bolt on, everything goes together as if it was meant to fit. The front rim requires the calipers to be shimmed 3-5mm and you have to use a combination of 919 and F3 spacers and the 919 axle to get things to line up.

You can look it up on wristtwisters, they have a couple or threads on the swap.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #145
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
CBR F3 front rim and CBR 900 rear rim. The rear rim is a direct bolt on, everything goes together as if it was meant to fit. The front rim requires the calipers to be shimmed 3-5mm and you have to use a combination of 919 and F3 spacers and the 919 axle to get things to line up.

You can look it up on wristtwisters, they have a couple or threads on the swap.
That sounds like a lot of work and money, and I'm not sure I care that much, but thanks for the info!
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #146
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer
 
Jnich77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando Fl
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
That sounds like a lot of work and money, and I'm not sure I care that much, but thanks for the info!
I think it cost me about 300 for everything. I waited to do it until I needed new tires, then got them at Cyclegear so the mounting was free ;-)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #147
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
I think it cost me about 300 for everything. I waited to do it until I needed new tires, then got them at Cyclegear so the mounting was free ;-)
It looks like you have the same rims as me. What am I missing?

Your bike right?

__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #148
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer
 
Jnich77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando Fl
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewC View Post
It looks like you have the same rims as me. What am I missing?

Your bike right?


That pic is sooo last year ;-)








Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #149
MathewC
All adders are puffs
 
MathewC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoIf View Post
Great video. Great editing. Great ride.

What happened with the crash? What sliders did you have? Did they protect the bike?
__________________
No, I don't need help with my tent.
MathewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #150
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!
 
XR4EVER's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Post Falls, ID
Oddometer: 1,057
Do any of you actually treat your 919 like an "adventure" bike? The thought of taking mine off-road (beyond gravel) has crossed my mind before, but the tires and the low-hanging exhaust has made me think twice.

Have any of you found or tried a dual-sport-type tire?

How about any thoughts on moving the headers or making (dare I say it) a skid plate?

I mean honestly, how much difference is there between these bikes and the NC700 that Honda is pushing as their version of an adventure bike? The biggest difference is that my 919 is PAID FOR!

When I was in my mid-teens, a friend's dad gave me his mid-70's CB500 that supposedly had a weak cylinder and hadn't run since he parked it 10 years prior. I picked it up, managed to get it running and found the "weak cylinder" was just a leaky intake boot. A new gasket and battery and it ran perfectly! I proceeded to beat the living snot out of that bike, treating it like a flat-tracker around the woods and taking it on our rocky Jeep trails. An off road bike with e-start before it was cool! I ran it for years like that until the rims were square and the headers were beat so flat that it no longer wanted to run. I'm not looking to abuse my baby like that, but there are a ton of trails that are 60 miles away and too long and boring for my XR, but would be great on the 919 if it were a little more dirt-worthy.

Any thoughts?
__________________
"It's strange to have a creation out there - a deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." -Dexter
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014