ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Who is the Grand Poo-Bah of Chuckleheads?
S.D.H. 12 16.00%
Dr.Z 34 45.33%
ChickenHelmet 12 16.00%
Mug 6 8.00%
Inpet 7 9.33%
Happy the Sheet 5 6.67%
VicO 5 6.67%
Buzztail 13 17.33%
ElusivePedro 4 5.33%
Madhouse 7 9.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #1246
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
They had you at "PowerWagon chassis" and "440," right?
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #1247
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Am I an Asshole?

Seriously looking for input.

I asked a local if he wanted to go to the AR500. He said yes. About 10 days before we were to leave I had a pinched nerve in my back that was giving me a lot of pain & I warned him I may need to truck to AR. Well, my back was OK & we rode 12hrs up to AR. The first day of riding the Ozarks my back started up again. I had to cut the ride short at the lunch stop. He chose to go with me. The second day, I suggested that he should go without me. I went ahead & joined the group ride anyway & had to quit at 2:00. Him & another guy went back to camp with me. The third day, I told him I could not go on the ride & I may go home if I didn't feel any better after some rest. He went on the ride & I stayed to rest. After an hour or so, my muscles got real stiff & I could barely move. I had a very loud voice in my head saying "go now, or call wifey to come & get you". I listened & rode straight home. Only stopping for gas when I was on fumes. Now, the guy I rode up with is pissed because he feels like I left him.

Am I an asshole for leaving? Should I have risked not making it home just so he could ride home with me?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1248
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post

I asked a local if he wanted to go to the AR500. He said yes. About 10 days before we were to leave I had a pinched nerve in my back that was giving me a lot of pain & I warned him I may need to truck to AR. Well, my back was OK & we rode 12hrs up to AR. The first day of riding the Ozarks my back started up again. I had to cut the ride short at the lunch stop. He chose to go with me. The second day, I suggested that he should go without me. I went ahead & joined the group ride anyway & had to quit at 2:00. Him & another guy went back to camp with me. The third day, I told him I could not go on the ride & I may go home if I didn't feel any better after some rest. He went on the ride & I stayed to rest. After an hour or so, my muscles got real stiff & I could barely move. I had a very loud voice in my head saying "go now, or call wifey to come & get you". I listened & rode straight home. Only stopping for gas when I was on fumes. Now, the guy I rode up with is pissed because he feels like I left him.

Am I an asshole for leaving? Should I have risked not making it home just so he could ride home with me?
Tell him to get a new girlfriend.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #1249
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,149
Rob, that guy sounds like he's wrapped too tight to be a suitable travel companion

Prolly wrapped too tight for New Orleans

Seriously, when yer havin problems (bike, health, whatever) sometimes ya gotta bail. All plans are subject to change without notice. If yer riding buddy was experiencing the same kinda pain as you, he most likely woulda skedaddled home too. He needs to put himself in your place. Maybe he could ponder the meaning of the word empathy, and he might find Enlightenment. Now where's the "Enlightenment smiley" when ya need it?

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1250
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,547
Serious Input

Quote:

Perhaps the question should be: "Is he an asshole for not suggesting you leave early since you were obviously not doing well. I hope to think I would have said "Damn Rob we might oughta get your sorry ass back home dude!"

But hey thats just me.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #1251
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by vico1 View Post
perhaps the question should be: "is he an asshole for not suggesting you leave early since you were obviously not doing well.
+1
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #1252
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:

So why'd you have to go and make our little spat public?

Seriously, good seeing you again. Glad you were able to ride some and made it home OK. I didn't envy your ride back.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #1253
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:

I had a guy grilling me on why we didn't just ride over. If 6 hours of I-40 wasn't bad enough in a diesel van, do it on a dirt bike. I did like sleeping with walls around me when I learned we were sleeping in a Tiger preserve.

It was nice to see you and Bob and Bob's creepy friend.

I am expecting a "thank you" letter from Coors any day now.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #1254
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,764
Rob, I'm thinking had that been me riding up with you I'd probably had ridden BACK with you as you said you were having issues. If we rode up, and something happened on your solo trip home, I'd hate myself. Just one opinion.
Heal up quick. At least you're on the bike. I've spent more time in airports than on a bike in the last 6 months
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #1255
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I had a guy grilling me on why we didn't just ride over. If 6 hours of I-40 wasn't bad enough in a diesel van, do it on a dirt bike. I did like sleeping with walls around me when I learned we were sleeping in a Tiger preserve.

It was nice to see you and Bob and Bob's creepy friend.

I am expecting a "thank you" letter from Coors any day now.

Hey Brian, you asleep? Good.

WHERE ARE THE CIGARETTES?

(thanks for the wake-up call, bud).
Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #1256
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,718
Yea -He should of said - Let's go to Home , and Zoey could of had y'all cupcakes made when y'all got home, to make you feel better.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #1257
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
I appreciate y'all's opinions. I still can't understand what the big deal is about me leaving. It's not like I took off & left him in the woods with no way to get home. I followed him to AR because he has a fancy GPS. Oh well, live & learn.
I rested & soaked in a hot bath for 2 days & my back is better. It still hurts, but I'm at work.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1258
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Hey Brian, you asleep? Good.

WHERE ARE THE CIGARETTES?

(thanks for the wake-up call, bud).
Dude I was in flavor country.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #1259
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,764
Quote:
I appreciate y'all's opinions. I still can't understand what the big deal is about me leaving. It's not like I took off & left him in the woods with no way to get home. I followed him to AR because he has a fancy GPS. Oh well, live & learn.
I rested & soaked in a hot bath for 2 days & my back is better. It still hurts, but I'm at work.
Bro, If HE was that one navigating then it's a non issue. Still, I don't think I could have stayed if the guy I rode up with was on the road alone in questionable health.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #1260
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Bro, If HE was that one navigating then it's a non issue. Still, I don't think I could have stayed if the guy I rode up with was on the road alone in questionable health.
Amen wouldn't want one of my buddy's travelling injured, on a motorcycle alone.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote