User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #31
AlpineRAM OP
PartsChaser

Oddometer: 195
Some success

Well, final drive restored, (stock ratio), brakes overhauled, gearbox overhauled, engine etc... Except for a now leaking fuel tank it's OK...
And it's fun to ride!

AlpineRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #32
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Good job getting her back on the road..

She looks pretty damn unique to me...

And most BMW's don't...

Congrats on the cool ride..

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #33
AlpineRAM OP
PartsChaser

Another one

As it is said - all things worth doing, are also worth overdoing....
I got yet another airhead for me.
My wife did not complain because I bought her an airhead too- R100RT for her.

Let me proudly present HPN #411
I still need to sort out some paperwork to get her plated, but as far as I can tell this is even gonna be more fun than the Hinterreiter I still have..

Cheers!
AlpineRAM
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 498
Neat!
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM View Post
The rear swingarm is an example of the "engineering" committed. To get the angle right they simply cut out approximately 1/3rd of the lower side of the pipe where the driveshaft is, and welded another segment of pipe to it. This gives you roughly a figure 8 with the center horizontal bar removed. Then they welded approx. 4" of pipe to the end of the swingarm, and attached the final drive. Now with the swingarm steeper and longer- voila, long suspension travel. The problem that the stock shock could not cope was solved by adding a second shock, and attaching a stub to the left side of the swingarm.
No need to put on a double swingarm like HPN did, a lot of iron welded to various bits and pieces of the swingarm should keep it stiff enough...

With the input shaft up there and the stock final drive the oil level and therefore the lubrication of the final drive is not great. The oil level bolt is now turned way down, and if somebody used it to check oil level the final drive almost emptied out.
Can you post pics of the swingarm and rear suspension, showing the modifications and features you mentioned above?

Great job on bringing this bike back to life!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #36
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
But it has street tires :(
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
AlpineRAM OP
PartsChaser

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
But it has street tires :(
I ordered a set of Michelin Anakees (I have the Anakee2 on some bikes and really like it)

I got Anakee 3 ... looks like a street slick with some proforma grooves.

I am really curious how this will work. If I don't like it I hope that they still have the Sirac.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #38
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,597
Those are street tires as well.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #39
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
As it is said - all things worth doing, are also worth overdoing....
I got yet another airhead for me.
My wife did not complain because I bought her an airhead too- R100RT for her.

Let me proudly present HPN #411

Cheers!
AlpineRAM
Nice

Now that's a step in the right direction.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #40
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Well, something for the history buffs:

This bike was built by Hinterreiter, a company that was competing with HPN in the 80s, modifying the 80GS.
They shared the same basic forks (Marzocchi M1), but they had completely different approaches to frame and drivetrain issues that come up if you lift a bike. (Think much more leverage to the steering head)
Hinterreiter did the K fairing stuff, the mount is the stock K fairing mount secured to the steering head on the frame with a single U-Bolt. The rear mounts are some tabs welded to the frame.
Since these bikes were not engineered well almost all the frames cracked, and the bikes got scrapped. I found that what I took for cracks in the frame were the result of an extremely sloppy paint job, after cleaning and magnetic flux analysis: No cracks!
The rear swingarm is an example of the "engineering" committed. To get the angle right they simply cut out approximately 1/3rd of the lower side of the pipe where the driveshaft is, and welded another segment of pipe to it. This gives you roughly a figure 8 with the center horizontal bar removed. Then they welded approx. 4" of pipe to the end of the swingarm, and attached the final drive. Now with the swingarm steeper and longer- voila, long suspension travel. The problem that the stock shock could not cope was solved by adding a second shock, and attaching a stub to the left side of the swingarm.
No need to put on a double swingarm like HPN did, a lot of iron welded to various bits and pieces of the swingarm should keep it stiff enough...

With the input shaft up there and the stock final drive the oil level and therefore the lubrication of the final drive is not great. The oil level bolt is now turned way down, and if somebody used it to check oil level the final drive almost emptied out.
The instrument cluster is a stock R80GS cluster, but the front and lower part were ground away, and the cluster was glued to the fairing. Nobody should ever need to change a bulb in there..
Many more pieces of moronic engineering are to be found on this bike- but except for the fork and the upgraded front brake they are all original vintage 1980s lunacies.
I am pondering restoring the bike to it's original state, including the small front brake, and keeping it for it's rarity. (I might have a lead on some HPN GS, that would be the ridable and safe version on the same theme)

Until the 90s only 33 of these bikes were built... restore it to it's former lunacy, use it as a parts bike, get an HPN frame, swingarm, forks etc...
So many questions..

AlpineRAM
A hint of the Hinter! A mythical beast indeed. I have seen images of these bikes over the years (one pic with two in motion and side by side is in my mind??) but knew nothing of the story. It is great to read and see more. Your new HPN is mighty fine...not doubt ...they all are... but the hinter is uniquely historical, if not brilliantly engineered. A great find. Keep us posted on what you find about it. I'm just pleased you shared it. Stu
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
AlpineRAM OP
PartsChaser

I have been working on the Hinterreiter... some "mechanic" did repair the heads, but forgot one shim while reassembling the rockers. So the exhaust rocker did chew up the top side of the valve and the guide, leaving me with a nice little break forming in the valve. Good luck was that the bike started to smoke before the valve broke. Now I'll refurbish the heads including the seats (for unleaded) and I think I will restore it to it's old "glory".
I am still pondering whether I should install one of the very rare M1 forks that was on there when it was built and the stock brake.. or leave it with the USD and a good brake.
I hope that I will be able to take some pictures..

Cheers

Markus
Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #42
AlpineRAM OP
PartsChaser

Well, plans have changed again...

After getting an R100RT for my wife when I got the Hinterreiter I did some work on her Honda SLR 650 to make it a nice bike. (Hotcams, 102mm bore, head work, frame reinforcement, Wilbers components etc) with a bit of success. She really liked the SLR but the ergos did not really fit her and this was brought forward by more power and all the other improvements. Her experience with the ergos on the R100RT (Monolever) made a conclusion inevitable- BMW ergos on a naked bike for her.
So after a good bit of looking around I found an R80ST

Here she is on her "new" bike checking the ergos.
The bike came from it's first owner who sold it with tears in his eyes- because his wife made him. (He's just 71)
Yesterday and today we started cleaning it up- a lot of grease everywhere, seems that the PO used this for corrosion prevention.
Starting with the maintenance mantra- Valves, Spark, Sync, Lube lead to some discoveries... most of them just fun.
Until now it just took about 15 cans of brake cleaner, a quart of dish detergent, copious amounts of water, 4 o-rings for the carbs, a front brake hose and brake pads to make her much nicer and more well behaved. (Since this is not JoMomma I do not feel the need to clarify that I mean the bike, not my wife. )

New tires are on their way, the front tire is 11 years old, the rear one only 5 years...

Cheers!

AlpineRAM