Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #76
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Arrived 4/16

Fit isn't perfect, but it is close enough.

Maiden voyage commuting this AM. I think I will keep it.
My fit is perfect... Cold wind does go up the legs & I can't figure out how to stop that... Thinking of some sort of Bungi or something.. There doesn't seem to be velco there to tighten that down (??)..
Problem with the zipper when I got it.. the long zipper bottom was stuck @ the left ankle.. Finally, when I had it on, I jiggled with it a bunch and suddenly it became engaged.. and now works.. so I guess be careful you don't bring the bottom car down too low .. The zipper lube supplied (upper right chest pocket) really helped the zipper ..
All in all.. very pleased.. Given the number of posts & views.. delay is worth being aware of.. My experience is that Aerostich doesn't do a great job of controlling expectations or at least creating realistic ones.. Not criticism, just my observation..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #77
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
Actually, their quote for ship time was very slightly pessimistic. I was told 8 weeks. I expected it to ship this Friday. So it basically shipped 8 days early.

So in that respect, they did a great job of managing expectations.

I would prefer to try a 48R jacket (I have a 48S). But they assure me it will be cut way too long. The 50S I had was definitely too baggy, especially in the shoulders and arms. And ultimately I would rather ride than ship back'n forth for the rest of my days. Being able to go to their showroom and try stuff on seems like the optimal solution.

A zip in elipse may be in my future. Nice thing about the 2-piece suit.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #78
Stkmkt1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Guys. I drove (in my truck) to Aeorstich on December 2008 and was custom fitted for my Darian pants and jacket. Lady ask me if i rode my bike. It was something like 24 below with about 4 feet of snow outside piled up everywhere. Seriously. Anyway, they sat me on a "bike" and two women came in an measured me up. About two weeks later I received the suit in the mail. I got a 10% discount for purchasing at the store, (most people don't know about this) and free shipping to my house.

The place is in an old run-down building and all the sewing is done on the second floor. They are the nicest people you could meet. And they had a copule of nice racks of suits already made up. We checked them, but none fit properly.

The stressed the importance of having the suit fir properly while your riding and in the case of an accident. This is not the same way it fits when you just walk around. The new suit was stiff as a board for about a month. But it is nice an comfy now.

But it is time to replace it as I have worn it out. I have slid down the interstate with my GSA on top of me (black ice) and have ridden in hail storms, extremely heavy rain and wind. I wear it year round regardless of the weather. I have gone across the desert in 115 degree heat and I ride in the winter when it is below freezing and down around zero.

I have looked at other kits, but so far, I have not found any that fit me like the Darian. So maybe during my trip to Alaska in June, I will swing by and have them make me another Darian kit. It sure seems bombproof to me.
Needs: new garage (in planning) Need more room for more bikes.
Stkmkt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #79
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
Since we are discussing fit.

I am a little disappointed with the fit. And I'm not sure it can be fixed. They definitely do not cut these things for sport-bike crowd. I'm on a V-Strom 650. There is barely any forward lean and the reach from the seat to the pegs is pretty generous. Definitely not sport bike ergos.

But the suit actually feels much better standing than it does on the bike. On the bike everything tightens up. The knees get tight and the shoulders/back too. My posture is not the best and I tend to slouch a little. I feel a bit horse-collared unless my posture is perfect. I had the pants shortened as the pads were way too low. Now they are perfect.

A coworker (and long-time 'stich user) is urging me to return the jacket and go for a 48R instead of a 48S.

But these suits definitely need a bunch of $$ spent on alterations for sportier use.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #80
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Since we are discussing fit.

I am a little disappointed with the fit. And I'm not sure it can be fixed. They definitely do not cut these things for sport-bike crowd. I'm on a V-Strom 650. There is barely any forward lean and the reach from the seat to the pegs is pretty generous. Definitely not sport bike ergos.

But the suit actually feels much better standing than it does on the bike. On the bike everything tightens up. The knees get tight and the shoulders/back too. My posture is not the best and I tend to slouch a little. I feel a bit horse-collared unless my posture is perfect. I had the pants shortened as the pads were way too low. Now they are perfect.

A coworker (and long-time 'stich user) is urging me to return the jacket and go for a 48R instead of a 48S.

But these suits definitely need a bunch of $$ spent on alterations for sportier use.
I ordered two jackets, plus I test fit a third one. I kept the two jackets at my house for about a week and half. I tried them on, walked in them, sat on the bike, and tried them on some more. All the time I kept trying to convince myself that the fit wasn't so bad and that I would get used to it. Eventually I came to the realization that I just don't want to have to get used to gear. I want something that fits and is reasonably comfortable without having to wash it a few times and ride in it for a year first. To be honest, I'm not sure that it would have ever fit me right, even after breaking it in. I ended up returning both jackets, and am going to try AD1 pants.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #81
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I just got my Dariens in the mail today, five weeks after originally placing the order.

I don't think I'm going to keep them though. The pants fit right around my belly button. This is far higher than I wear any of my other pants. When standing I have about an inch of extra room. When I sit on my bike, they squeeze around my gut so bad that I can't ride. I rode about a quarter mile before having to turn around because the discomfort was so bad. I really wish they fit lower, because other than that I really like them. I'm pretty bummed about this.
i like the high waist, it keeps the wind off your kidneys.... i wear mine with suspenders instead of the belt otherwise i would have the same problem you did.

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #82
Noth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Stk,

Driving to Duluth is nice , but hardly even a remote possibility for most folks.. It is 1,480 miles from my house and that is simply way too far.. 500 miles.. maybe.. 1,480.. no way !
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote