Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,176
should this be merged with the camera mega fest?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,483
I'd prefer to keep a separate thread where we can discuss this camera specifically. I am still hoping to purchase one in the near future and will then report on how i like it. Am hoping to get a discussion on features going if there are other owners on the board (not clear ow many people use this over the go pro).
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I'd prefer to keep a separate thread where we can discuss this camera specifically. I am still hoping to purchase one in the near future and will then report on how i like it. Am hoping to get a discussion on features going if there are other owners on the board (not clear ow many people use this over the go pro).
...a heap you'd think, seeing as it looks better.....

If I get one next week, I'll get back to you on this!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Well after a fair amount of reading and research I ordered and bought the Drift HD Ghost from ebay.

I chose it over the Contour +2 due to the remote, the screen, the loop function and the price/extras in the box.

I didn't want a stupid box on the top of my head (Go-Pro). My choice.

My mate has the brand new Contour +2 so a comparision might be done eventually.

This is a seriously technologically advanced bit of gear, and I thought it would take me ages to get my head around it. The Drift Innovations home page has a heap of short 70Mb training videos you can download, I've found some .pdf files for the older Drift cameras that explain a lot of stuff like field of view, snow/dark light settings, file types etc. So only a few hours after opening the box I'm pretty right.

There's not a real lot of stuff on Google about it yet. Only the usual thin reviews, not settings and stuff.

It will take some careful positioning to mount it on my helmet - you want it pointing at the right place.
Then I'll probably fiddle around to work out what resolution I want to run at and what field of view.

I suspect that high resolution (1080p) will make for large files, and won't allow for fast frame rates per second. Also I may not like it filming at 170degreees FOV. This seems to make the distant objects seem further away and you get a bit of the 'fish-eye' effect. Although the advantage is that it shows the side of the trail and the effect of speed quite well.
edit: Don't believe any of this just yet, I'm testing at the moment and not is all as it appears (in a good way).

More testing is in order.

BTW, I think it is irrelevant to ANY of this discussion for someone to make opinions based on older model cameras. The latest ones are streets ahead of the older ones. This one has only been released for 3 months.

Another BTW, they haven't released the final version of the Android App so that you can 'drive' your camera from your smartphone (the I-phone one is out), but it is due any week.

Blakduk screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 05:49 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

...........I would love if some clever guru got on here and posted up his/her preferred resolution, frame rate, field of view and lighting settings for single track dirt riding................
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 313
Just a quick vid, no enhancing just cropped for length. Couldn't remove background noise with my free editing software so please forgive that.
http://youtu.be/iO1rWb8E5I0

You can use any of the settings but the playback will largely depend on your hosting site. I recorded the above in 1080/30, 270 fov, with no lighting effects. But looks like less in playback.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Finally purchased the Drift Ghost HD. First impressions:

A lot of thought has gone into this camera. From the moment you receive it, it feels like a quality product. The packaging is well thought out - protective case and well presented - kind of like an Apple product. Gives you a sense of confidence upon receipt.

The manual is clear and easy to digest - not overly complicated.

The camera feels absolutely solid. All the controls are clear and work precisely. Buttons big enough to use with gloves.

The menu is absolutely intuitive. It takes only a few minutes to be comfortable with the various functions. Having the screen on the device allows for easy changing of settings at any time..

One of the reasons I purchased this instead of the Go Pro is that I don't like the teletubby look and overall form factor ofthe GoPro. This camera really solves that - the shape and form make sense.

I really like the remote. It has two big buttons only, and a series of lights that clearly tell you what mode you are in. The buttons are big - you won't press the wrong one by accident.

NOTE - while the camera is waterproof, the remote is not. Something to consider.

Camera has the following features - none of which I have tested yet:

Video tagging
Timelapse
Photoburst

In each mode you can set:
FOV
Exposure
Self Timer Burst rate
etc.

All easily accessible form the menu - nice.

I charged the camera and the remote - had no connection issues between the two - just turned them on and they were synched already. Nice.

Use: - I plan to use this mostly for still photos while I am riding - so I have not tested the video yet.

I did test the three FOV for stills: 90/127/170 degrees. Here are the results:

90 degrees

127 degrees

170 degrees

Finally, downloading the pictures was a breeze. I hooked up to the Mac, and it recognized it as a camera in iPhoto. Just a seemless download of the pics. No drama.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Excellent.

Saved me a bunch of research, I had the same quest and questions.

Like you, I am more interested in some fish-eye wide random stills while riding then video that looks like everyone else's after the first five seconds. This would not be my primary still camera, certainly, just another perhaps more candid option.

Just me maybe.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Excellent.

Saved me a bunch of research, I had the same quest and questions.

Like you, I am more interested in some fish-eye wide random stills while riding then video that looks like everyone else's after the first five seconds. This would not be my primary still camera, certainly, just another perhaps more candid option.

Just me maybe.
Yup - same here. I miss a lot of pics while riding because i don't want to stop, and using a regular camera with one hand is a hassle.

I will still carry another small point and shoot as well for when off the bike. I'm sure I will use the video occasionally when I have that one superb road to capture, but mostly it will be for stills.

I did make one mistake - after taking painstaking care on where ti place the clip on my helmet so that it is aligned and looking straight forward, it turns out the FOV gets some of the helmet in the pic !!!!

Now i need to order a new adhesive attachment, and figure out how to remove the original one. What a pain.

Good thing i started on an old helmet, one that is a backup.

So the problem so far has been user error.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Not everyone has enough sand to admit such (understandable) oversights. I bet you save a couple of us the same pains though, so thanks

I was just Googling around myself here trying to get a look at the helmet mount....
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post

Now i need to order a new adhesive attachment, and figure out how to remove the original one. What a pain.

Nice first impression review!

I have a few suggestions for the mounting issue for you.

First, use a hairdryer to heat up the mount and soften the double stick glue, then use an old credit card or hotel room key to get under the mount then it should peel right off while warm. If there's any residue left you can use the mount with some double stick tape to push, rub and remove the rest, after heating it up again.

Also, you don't need to order more mounts, just go buy some 2" industrial velcro from home depot or some 3M Dual Lock tape. You can put a strip of it on the mount and an even longer strip on the helmet so you have room to move the mount around and framed how you'd like, you can even put a strip on the side and on the top of the helmet to give you options to get more than one camera location, along with putting a strip or two on you bike to further the locations to help give you options to make more interesting video. One facing backwards, one on the side of the bike shooting the front wheel, etc, etc. I usually put the hook side (plasitc not fabric loops) of the velcro on the helmet to make it less noticeable when the camera isn't mounted and you can get white or black velcro depending on your helmet to further the cause. Dual lock comes in clear making it even less noticeable, though you'll probable need to look on ebay for that. I use dual lock to mount the remote to my handgaurd on my bike too. Very strong stuff.

Another suggestion, at least for video, is to import the files into iMovie, you must already have iPhoto set as default when a camera is connected and while you can import and view movies in it, you'll want to be editing movies in iMovie. You can change that in iPhoto>settings>import. Or just open iMovie while the card is connected and import there.
Speaking of, if you have an Apple store nearby I suggest taking one of their free iMovie classes, it will forward your future movie making skills greatly, including what kind of shots you should look for to make fun videos, all of which is very simple once you get the hang of iMovie. If no Apple store check out all the built in tutorial videos in Movie Help.
Having one camera angle with unedited video does make a video boring and look like millions of other boring videos, with just a little effort and education making videos YOURS and interesting are easy in iMovie. You can easily shoot photos all day and make then into a time lapse video if you're determined to just shoot photos too...

Overall I shoot in 720 30fps, 170. the narrower angles just don't work for me on a bike, like tunnel vision when moving and I miss the surroundings. Sometimes I shoot in 50fps when doing crazy stuff to have the option to do slow motion, but for the most part I don't since it increases file size and battery use, same reason I don't shoot 1080. Sometimes having the helmet in the shot is good, gives a point of view and perspective of where YOU are in the video instead of shots of some random road made by some random rider, but there's no right or wrong in how you shoot.

Good luck

Shot with a Ghost and edited in about 45 minutes in iMovie using one of their presets, not an award winner by any means but something that's fun for us to look back on:

Lost in Death Valley 2013 from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:05 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 243
Great Tips..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Nice first impression review!
.....you don't need to order more mounts, just go buy some 2" industrial velcro from home depot or some 3M Dual Lock tape.....

Another suggestion, at least for video, is to import the files into iMovie, you must have iPhoto set as default when a camera is connected and while you can import and view movies in it, you'll want to be editing movies in iMovie.

Overall I shoot in 720 30fps, 170. the narrower angles just don't work for me on a bike, like tunnel vision when moving and I miss the surroundings. ..... Sometimes having the helmet in the shot is good, gives a point of view and perspective of where YOU are in the video........but there's no right or wrong in how you shoot.
All good practical use tips...Question, watching a comparo utube vid, seemed like the Drift had the poorer audio and was not too good at low light, what is your your observation in that regard? (note vid used Drift 170 not Ghost)

elron
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
All good practical use tips...Question, watching a comparo utube vid, seemed like the Drift had the poorer audio and was not too good at low light, what is your your observation in that regard? (note vid used Drift 170 not Ghost)

elron

when seeing online comparisons it's always hard to judge not knowing what the settings, conditions and how much post processing was done. It would be easy for a pro to make one camera look or sound better compared to another if they wanted.

The audio is definitely better with the external mic being used, with the mic taped to the back of the helmet. I have mine set at the low "one bar" input level setting on the camera and rarely use the external mic out of laziness.
You can tape some foam over the onboard mic to help with wind noise, but in the end it's a little crappy mic on most of these cameras and going down the road at speeds there will be wind noise, at least from my experience.

I've had a few various helmet cams over the years, none of them have a large enough sensor to really have great low light shooting, all of them seems quite noisy when the sensitivity gets bumped up. For the most part most look great in good lighting conditions, and look not so good in low light. There's post processing that can be done to help with the noise, but you can only polish a turd so much... for me making MC videos is something I really don't want to spend much effort doing, I do that enough while doing video work on shows. I spend far more efforts in my photography usually when riding, but it's fun to have some short videos to look back on after a trip or share online. Easy to make in iMovie with little efforts and time once you get the hang of it. I use it more than Final Cut Pro just for simplicities sake for bike vids.

Here's a somewhat boring clip shot with a HD 170 in challenging lighting conditions and some night riding, no post processing, no external mic, just crappy edits. For my purposes the image/sound quality is good enough to share online. I find the mic on the ghost to be just about the same, I keep it on low input setting for shooting while riding.
In the end the content of what you're shooting and the editing will make a video "better" to document and share your ADVentures than having perfect image or sound quality IMHO.

Death Valley 12/12 from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

This video also a HD 170 I was using an external mic.

BMW F800 R in the Malibu Canyons from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:30 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

After using my Drift Ghost all weekend, I am now in a position to make a couple of comments!

The menu is easy to use (someone somewhere bagged the menu - they're wrong).

I agree with Lost Rider:
A bit of helmet in the field of view is ideal. It is even better if you can get some of the bike handlebars/headlight protector.
For off road riding, the 170 degrees is best, other FOV makes things too close and narrow, and with close by bushes etc, it is not easy to watch.
I too go with the 720p, on the 60fps (edit 60fps). The memory usage is not worrying me as much (I don't upload to the net), and the higher fps seems to make some of the fast single track imagery a little bit smoother - although you only notice it when you compare it back-to-back with identical footage shot in 30fps.

I've ordered a spare battery. Using the tag&loop function does hit battery life, I got 3 hours; but it was a 6 hour ride. I've ordered a 2500maH one from Hong Kong for only about $25, with car charger etc.......(!), the original is 1900MaH.

The tag process, in my humble opinion would benefit from a plan where, when you hit the button it only records the last one minute, or maybe two minutes. (not the next 'multiplied by 2" time period added on after) I have found when riding that exciting bits happen when you are not expecting and you can't hit the button until they are over; "during" an exciting bit, it is bloody hard to hit the remote (I'm talking hard & fast single track), and if you set it to record the last minute to cover this, you then get two minutes of usually boring stuff after the event before it turns off again. Which will need to be cut out of the file later.
Anyone else see this? I might suggest it to Drift Innovations, surely it is just a option to be released in a firmware upgrade?

Blakduk screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 01:32 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Just a quick vid, no enhancing just cropped for length. Couldn't remove background noise with my free editing software so please forgive that.
http://youtu.be/iO1rWb8E5I0

You can use any of the settings but the playback will largely depend on your hosting site. I recorded the above in 1080/30, 270 fov, with no lighting effects. But looks like less in playback.
Went in and did some editing and finally got rid of background noise, also upped the quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cBsj2WU2I0I