Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #3361
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Base gaskets are a know issue but i wouldnt worry about it unless its leaking. Im not sure what brand the 40 tooth sprocket is? I will see if he still has it.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #3362
tdbmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I had a BW200 for a couple of years and it was fun but had gotten a little temperamental in that it didn't always want to start or run smooth, so I sold it to someone who really wanted it. I miss having the bike to jump on to run and check on stuff and such. Bigger hassle to take a truck or the Ranger than just hope on a bike. Thanks for the info.
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #3363
Kwizard
Conservative

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
I had a BW200 for a couple of years and it was fun but had gotten a little temperamental in that it didn't always want to start or run smooth, so I sold it to someone who really wanted it. I miss having the bike to jump on to run and check on stuff and such. Bigger hassle to take a truck or the Ranger than just hope on a bike. Thanks for the info.
There is a ratio calculator somewhere over on the TW200forum.com, and gives speed and or RPM. I have an '03 with about 3K miles, and zero issues. Put synthetic oil in it, and it shifts better. I use Castrol racing 4T.
😀Thank's Small's; that would be great. I don't really need to know the brand; but the model of bike it was intended for. I'm planning on going to the SCTA meet at El Mirage the middle of May, and I'm going to beat the pants👖 off that Australian land speed record of 74MPH🐌 for the TW200🏁🇺🇸.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #3364
RingSteel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small's View Post
Two TW's tackle Moab. Top of the World! In my opinion the best view of Moab.
That is an awesome pic! I'd love to take my TW there someday soon.
RingSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #3365
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
On topic ...off topic?.

There is a type of clamp that is common on fuel lines and if equipped,coolant lines.They look like a regular piece of "wire",but at the contact point (where a tool would be used to unfasten the clamp) it has two round eyelets.If you know what I'm trying to describe?....what is the name of these clamps (I believe the Japaneese came out with them?).The reason I'm asking this is because I either have to invest in the special tool or hack the little bastards off and use a different type of clamp.....I can't stand the typeI I've described!. Thanks for listening.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #3366
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
There is a type of clamp that is common on fuel lines and if equipped,coolant lines.They look like a regular piece of "wire",but at the contact point (where a tool would be used to unfasten the clamp) it has two round eyelets.If you know what I'm trying to describe?....what is the name of these clamps (I believe the Japaneese came out with them?).The reason I'm asking this is because I either have to invest in the special tool or hack the little bastards off and use a different type of clamp.....I can't stand the typeI I've described!. Thanks for listening.
They make hose clamp pliers but for most I use needle nose or lineman's pliers.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FYyi4Aod3WoAYw

another flavor

http://community.craftsman.com/Craft...Pliers-reviews

tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #3367
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
I'm planning on going to the SCTA meet at El Mirage the middle of May, and I'm going to beat the pants👖 off that Australian land speed record of 74MPH🐌 for the TW200🏁🇺🇸.
I'm not sure if this is a serious comment or not. I've seen 77mph on my GPS on flat ground, running a 15/45 combo.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #3368
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
edited to remove duplicate post

GapRunr screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 10:38 AM Reason: double post
GapRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #3369
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
After a huge downhill with a strong tailwind if your 85lbs. I guess its possible but neither of the two ive had would do that and im a featherweight. I had mine to 74mph "gps" after a hill and no wind 14/47. It held it but when i let off and tried to reach that speed again it would only hit 73mph. But some bikes do run better than others.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #3370
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I've had mine up to 76mph on the gps 81 on the clock. That was last year when I weighed 175 with a slight decline in the road about 5 miles long. That was scary! Took my 690 up to 100mph yesterday checking out my scotts steering damper and I wanted to give it more
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #3371
Kwizard
Conservative

Serious comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I'm not sure if this is a serious comment or not. I've seen 77mph on my GPS on flat ground, running a 15/45 combo.
Howdy GapRunr,
Most of my comments are serious. My jokes are usually obvious(I hope). I've got a pretty good running TW. It should; what with all the money I've thrown at it. I'm going to put a set of 2.75X18's on it; which should bring a lot of weight off. I've got an alloy tank, and fiberglass racing seat to put on it, along with some rearsets, and clamp-on's to add. It's got a high compression Wiseco piston with a fresh bore and hone, Webb cam, Dial-a-Jet, FMF pipe, a Barrett clutch to handle all this horsepower(this is a joke GapRunr), a 3" swingarm extension, new All-Balls bearings/seals and grease pack all around. I've dialed the carb in with needle and pilot jet changes, opened up the airbox, and put a new high flow air-filter in. I'm going to make my runs using some racing fuel to offset the altitude changes. Synthetic lubricants all around. I've got to get some emulators, then rebuild the front forks, and I also need a steering stabilizer. I can't make myself spend $400 for a stabilizer. That just seems ridiculous. So; with that said: I've still got to play with the gearing. It's my plan to stay with the 14 front, and go as small as it will handle with the rear; while only using the first four gears so as not to put it in an overdrive condition. If y'all have any thoughts; I'ld appreciate your input.
Hey Smalls, any luck on finding out about that sprocket?
I've only got a month left, and much to do yet. I have a goal of a 90mph run. Hey; a guy can dream can't he.��
Any of you guys know how to hook up a tach? I've got an old 70's 80's Nippon Seiki non cable tach. It's got three wires. One for ground, one for +ign(not exactly sure what that means), and one that I don't have a clue(lights maybe?).

Kwizard screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 10:22 PM
Kwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #3372
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Usually the tach wires will be spliced into the coil (spark plug wire) or simply wrapped around it. The others are probably for a backlight as you say. The small tach I use just has the one wire that goes to the coil. You can see the red wire wrapped around it in my pic here.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #3373
Kwizard
Conservative

Tach help

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Usually the tach wires will be spliced into the coil (spark plug wire) or simply wrapped around it. The others are probably for a backlight as you say. The small tach I use just has the one wire that goes to the coil. You can see the red wire wrapped around it in my pic here.
Hey PSC, I've had one of those little tachs, and it just doesn't do it for me. They're slow to respond, and I can't see the little display very well. This tach I've got needs to be wired into the ignition at some point. It's got a hand, and dial like the speedo; but the movement is more like an electric clock. Plus it has three different anti vibration methods built in. It's a pretty good set-up for a cheap tach. I hope it's accurate.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3374
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine is a trail tech (tto) and works ok. Analog tachs are always going to be easier to read and arguably more accurate. I need to take a pic of it sometime but I've been busy with the 690 and sadly have been neglecting the tdub. Still need to finish tuning the tm28-1 so I can regear and stick that atv tire on it. Should be fun to do some exploring then since it's warming up quick here in sc.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #3375
The Jeep & Bike Life
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh

I've been wanting to buy a TW200 ever since my dad owned one. Just wondering if anyone within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta, Ga had one they might be willing to part with?
The Jeep & Bike Life is offline   Reply With Quote