User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Chris S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Soft Bag Comparison: Adv Spec Magadan; Enduristan Monsoon, Kriega Overlander

There's some great soft baggage being produced these days and lately I’ve had a chance to use Enduristan Monsoon throwovers, just got some Adventure Spec Magadans and had a mate drop by the other day with his new Kriega Overlander set up. Over the years I’ve also used Touratech Zega Flex, Andy Strapz, Oxford throwovers (when there was nothing better) and as well owned (but not used) Ortlieb QL2, looked closely at/got lent inspection samples of Steel Pony Gascoynes and Wolfmans and of course used the usual army surplus cheapies.
Links above go to detailed reviews and many more pics on my www; the table below rounds up the data with pics below (Magadans, Monsoons, K Overlanders and TT Zega Flex). Don't know if the table will click open full size to be readable; if not delete the orange end bit of its url: ... softcompo.jpg?w=600

The table sticks with the first four mentioned above, as those are the ones I have direct and recent experience with. Realistically I think it’s the first three that people might be considering these days. FYI, I assess these bags from the PoV of an autonomous overland trip in what I call the AMZ where sending them back is not really an option; if they play up they have to be repaired or replaced.

With many of the above (Strapz, Oxford, army surplus and probably some others I've forgotten about) I've ended up with one not-so-useful throwover because the other caught fire or melted (on both high and low pipe bikes). Some manage without, but I reckon if you're carrying a big load on a long trip in the AMZ, some kind of rack is essential to securely locate the bags.

Hope some of you find it useful.

Chris S

Chris S screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 03:14 PM
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,620
Let me be the first to say thanks for the review and posting it. Secondly what is the Suzuki dual sport convert?

Thanks again

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Chris S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Let me be the first to say thanks...
You're welcome Cory.

Bike is a GS500 - Flintstone era tech - with a leg stretch and bigger feet.
By chance it's turned out pretty well. There's more about it here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787456

C
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,620
I like it! Thanks for the build link

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
ScottyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Very helpful

Thanks for posting this Chris. I'm going to be buying the Magadans for my 660 Tenere asap, and its great to be able to see the competition side by side. Now I'm really hanging out.
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Chris S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting observations on the ever growing range of overland-ready soft baggage - it can be bigger than you think.

More here.

Ch

Chris S screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 02:27 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 287
Nice job. Thanks.
Nnordsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
ScottyD
Adventurer

Well I finally got a job, but it doesnt pay much. Those Magadans look like remaining a fervent dream for a bit longer yet (not to mention the rest of the huge wish list).

It's got me wondering about maybe trying to make something up myself. Connect up a couple small to medium sized backpacks with some heavy duty adjustable straps, sew some sort of attachment system on the back to hold them onto a rack, and away I go. I'd have to use dry bags inside them, and they wouldn't be slash proof of course, but at least I'd be able to carry a bit of a load.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
my first venture into 'making it myself" used bicycle panniers, and it worked surprisingly well. I happened across some pretty robust pvc panniers, pre-shaped, rigid plastic backing, and quite nearly looked like they belonged there. It got me through 2 summers, dry and dust free.

Version 2 is in the construction stages now. A few yards of 1000d cordura and a sewing machine will get me pretty far. Let's be honest, there's no special magic that goes into the contruction of this stuff.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Brun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Well I finally got a job, but it doesnt pay much. Those Magadans look like remaining a fervent dream for a bit longer yet (not to mention the rest of the huge wish list).

It's got me wondering about maybe trying to make something up myself. Connect up a couple small to medium sized backpacks with some heavy duty adjustable straps, sew some sort of attachment system on the back to hold them onto a rack, and away I go. I'd have to use dry bags inside them, and they wouldn't be slash proof of course, but at least I'd be able to carry a bit of a load.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Scotty, check out some Australian bags.

http://www.andystrapz.com/products-d...yId=22&Level=1

http://www.steelpony.com.au/murchison%20panniers.htm

And there is always the complete DIY route if you have access to (and know how to use) a decent sewing machine ...

I used a rubberised canvas, polyester straps, Fastex buckles, and a fine old 1960s Singer sewing machine. Total cost was about $60.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
ScottyD
Adventurer

Hmm, thanks guys. I suppose it wouldn't be rocket science to throw something together. Brun, you did a great job on those bags. Look almost store-bought. I reckon mine would look a bit more 'characterful' (i.e. crap looking but strong enough sewing job).

If I get to go ahead with it, I'll definitely chuck up some piccies. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD