User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Seat opinions...

Note to mods: If this is posted in the wrong place please move it...

I guess I may be opening a GIANT can of worms here but I figure I gotta ask anyway. I realize that this will be opinions and nothing more. There may be a different seat for each different rider on the planet cause nobody is built the same but what I hope to gain insight to is price vs. comfort. So first let me ask, is comfort totally linked to price? Or is having a special seat made to fit you gonna cost big bucks? currently I am riding an 18 year old BMW GS and I love the old bike but after a few thousand miles last week I was left feeling kinda old! I realize that I am no spring chicken but there were days in the past where a 12 or 14 hour ride wouldn't wear me out, now it does. The bike came with an old Corbin that is great for around town and medium length days but not good for me for long days. I tend to sit forward on the skinny part of the seat so I don't "reach" too far for the controls. I think this may be part of the issue but there are already risers that bring the bars up and back to me some.
The bike did come with another seat that I no longer have because it seemed to make me sit way too high. It was a Russell Day Long seat and was built for the PO who was a much bigger guy than I am. The seat was really cushy but I don't think it worked for me. Maybe I needed to get the Russell guys to build it for me but that wasn't in the cards at the time money wise.
SO...what should I do? I have a bit of cash but I'm not rich, can I get someone to make me something that will help or should I just stay with what I have and realize I'm getting old? What will it cost? Thanks for any input!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry forgot to mention that I am not opposed to anyone else making or modifying something for me I just happened to have a Russell and Corbin. Maybe something off the shelf would be OK too.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
Renazco Racing makes some awesome seats!

$$$, but super comfy!

You get what you pay for....fortunately, the Renazco seat was already on my bike when I bought it!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Take a look at Seat Concepts. Best thing I ever did for a couple of my bikes.

Sarah

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...=0&sort=normal
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
+1 for the guys at Seat Concepts! I took my G650GS to them last summer for a seat install and it was a nice comfy 100 mile ride home. A few months later I did an 800+ mile weekend with it and my ass wasn't scared to get on the bike the next morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Take a look at Seat Concepts. Best thing I ever did for a couple of my bikes.

Sarah

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...=0&sort=normal
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
another inexpensive seat option

Spencers seats (Great Day to Ride) recovers and refoams your existing seat pan for as little as $75.00 and it really helps. Probably not as good as a custom job, but also not as expensive either.

Or try adding an airhawk seat cushion. It really makes long days in the saddle tolerable and can be switched from bike to bike. It looks kind of lame but whoi see's it when you are riding anyhow?

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
I tend to sit forward on the skinny part of the seat so I don't "reach" too far for the controls. I think this may be part of the issue but there are already risers that bring the bars up and back to me some.
The bucket seat shape of the Corbin may be causing you to sit too far forward in the seat and the bar risers may have you a little too upright. I have found a slightly flatter seat and lower bars more comfortable. A slight forward lean bending at the hips with a straight back may help. I have a spare stock seat if you would like to try a different seating option without spending any money. Place the bike on the centerstand and have somebody take a picture of you sitting on the bike from the side so we can see what your posture looks like.
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I appreciate the thought Jim and I may take you up on trying the stocker for a bit but I am thinking for my situation leaning slightly forward may make things worse. See, I wore a back brace for many years when I was a younger so don't know if that would help me. I do agree that flatter may be better so I think I will have my better half take a few photos of me on the bike and show my bad posture...GOOD IDEA! Now that I think about that, I think that's how some of the big seat builders go about custom designing you a seat too! Maybe this can get better!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
NPRider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Another Seat Concepts vote

Ordered a Seat Concepts foam pad and cover for my bike seat. The price was reasonable and delivered on time. I had a local bike shop install the foam pad and seat cover onto the old seat pan for $40. The seat is great, much more comfortable than stock. You can order the foam cushion based on your weight and, for some models, you can raise the height of the seat. Good luck.
NPRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
16VGTIDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Take a look at http://diymotorcycleseat.com/ to get some ideas. Great instructions if you are up to the DIY challenge.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote