Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #31
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashy View Post
I used NR 850's on my V-Strom and was very happy with quality and service. When I switched to the Tenere I threw the 850's on it and burned up the left side bag. I contacted NR wanting to buy the left side only and was told they only come in pairs. OK, I'm ok with that as it was my fault it burned. NR did offer a discount on a slightly used set but I didn't think the discount was enough. I'm happy with NR and now want to decide on the 850's or the new Survivor Dry Bags. Could you provide me with your thoughts on the two different styles? Based on my limited contact with Nelson Rigg, I will continue to use their product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adictiverx View Post
Hi C-Stain (and world)
Could you post some images of the bags stuffed, or with various pieces of kit inside? also would love to see pics of them on the bike prior to making any mods (stiffeners and the like).

Oh, and Nelson-Rigg is releasing their new CL-855 soon and i am debating between them. Long distance/term trips are rare for me so i am leaning toward these (<$)
Hey Folks,

I should be bringing my bikes home in the next couple of days, so I will pack up some camping gear that would sustain me for a 7-10 day trip and mount up the bags. The weather has been so rotted here that I didn't even do my registration till yesterday.

And Mashy - I can't offer you an opinion on the CL-855 bags, as I have no experience with them. Given my previous experience with Nelson-Rigg, I can safely assume that they'd be a decent set of luggage. Hopefully, someone else can offer you an opinion for those bags.

However, this thread may help in your decision.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671338
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
BigScotty
n00b

Oddometer: 3
pics of Nelson Rigg Adventure Bags

The 24oz material is a tarplin fabric coated with PVC, the tarplin material acts as a weave or membrane, what ever you wish to refer to it as...nice feel, flexible and seems to be very strong. Smooth finish both outside and inside the bag. The fellow I talked with at Nelson Rigg was very helpful. Nice price point.... I could by two sets of these for the price of some of the others.
BigScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #33
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,756
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScotty View Post
The 24oz material is a tarplin fabric coated with PVC, the tarplin material acts as a weave or membrane, what ever you wish to refer to it as...nice feel, flexible and seems to be very strong. Smooth finish both outside and inside the bag. The fellow I talked with at Nelson Rigg was very helpful. Nice price point.... I could by two sets of these for the price of some of the others.

Thanks for the update!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #35
mashy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks C-Stain as I was unaware of the 855's. For the price I think I will go with them and then if needed also buy the survivors.
mashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
adictiverx
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashy View Post
Thanks C-Stain as I was unaware of the 855's. For the price I think I will go with them and then if needed also buy the survivors.
Update from Nelson-Rigg:

The CL-855's will start shipping end of April (delayed from first week of April)

just a friendly FYI
adictiverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 177
I have owned 2 Nelson Riggs suitcases for about 8 years. I travel extensively for work (28 countries the last 2 years) and have never had any issues. Their warranty is without question. I would highly recommend any of their products for any application. They are that good!
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #38
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
well I ordered a set of these bags for the new KLR, as well as some side racks and a rigid topcase.

Coming from Givi rigid side cases, I was ready for something different. The givi cases are brittle, and I always thought that they would shatter in to fine, expensive italian dust if I laid the bike over on them. I'm going with a rigid topcase to keep things that I don't want broken (stove, food, beer, gadgets..).

I'll post up a pic when I get all the loot.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I went ahead and purchased these Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Saddlebags from Dennis Kirk. They arrived today. I am a tough customer yet I have to say, I'm impressed! I think they are a tremendous value and I would recommend them.

They are bigger than the Ortlieb dry saddlebags I have, and overall quality is similar. The top velcro straps on the Ortliebs are not long enough to span the width of a V-Strom, while these Nelson-Rigg bags are. I will put those straps under the seat, not on top. I hate straps on top of a seat. Looks ugly, and my passenger sits there.

I may put the bottom of a cut-off plastic trash can in them to stiffen the bottom since I will put the heaviest items (possibly some tools) in the very bottom, but this is not really needed if you are going to put clothing and sleeping bags in them. They should be stuffed full to retain their shape. Not good for riding around empty unless you add stiffeners, which is easy to do with a trash can or just a U-shaped piece of plastic cut from a large plastic bin.

I was thinking of getting the Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags for $360, so price was not the only consideration. I thought that for $105.39 and free shipping I could not go wrong giving these a try. I'm glad I did. Looks like I got the last one at Dennis Kirk for that price; they are now $123.99 from them and out of stock.

When I get them mounted on the Wee-Strom (using small side racks from Precision Motorcycle Racks (www.pmracks.com), I'll post a picture. It looks like these bags have enough other straps to fasten securely to these racks. I really like these racks because they are well-made and weigh less than 3.5 lbs for the pair.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #40
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

^^^^^^^^^^^
So what is your impression of the fabric used? Any opinion? Glad to hear that you like them - told you I wasn't lying!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #41
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Nice to see this review. I have several pieces of Nelson-Rigg gear and all of it is well made to stand up to the intended use. I have a Triumph Tiger 1050 which came with racks. I am a soft bag kind of guy so I went looking for bags that could attach to the racks, since my sportbike bags wouldn't do that. Turns out that Nelson-Rigg had a set that would do exactly that. These were large size with internal stiffeners. Not waterproof, but I didn't buy them for that. The downside was that the straps across the seat were not long enough for a bike with racks. I called NR to see if they could make some extenders up for me. The lady said, "No problem, we have those. The Can-Am guys need them." I also got a tail bag that attaches to the side bags with clips or has bungees to use solo. Also a very good quality piece

In short, every piece of NR gear I have gotten is quality. Bike covers, rain gear, saddle bags, tail bags, back packs--all of it. I didn't get any of it free either... I also have Wolfman, Roadgear & other vendors gear. All good quality products. Yeah, you can buy junk stuff, but not from these vendors.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #42
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Quote:
So what is your impression of the fabric used? Any opinion? Glad to hear that you like them - told you I wasn't lying!
Never suspected you of lying!
The fabric is decent stuff; well-suited to the intended purpose. It has a heavier/thicker PVC coating and a thinner cloth fabric than most other dry bag material I have seen. Just an observation; not a criticism. Plenty strong enough.

I've still trying to decide if I want to put a couple of plastic trash cans in the bags for stiffeners. I already test-fitted one, and a large office trash can that has a base that tapers down to about 12 x 8 inches at the bottom fits these bags tightly. They cost less than 6 bucks each at the Home Depot I was at yesterday. Cutting the tops off the trash cans so they are about 12 inches high will give you semi-rigid bags. This is not really needed if the bags are stuffed full, but could help in some cases, or if you just like a more rigid bag.

The Ortliebs I own come with a U-shaped plastic stiffener going up the sides, leaving the side that faces outward uncovered. This allows the fabric to bulge more in order to stuff it fuller. That's another option; just cut out one side of the trash can.

I like the height of these bags; much more material length to roll up than the Ortliebs, allowing them to be stuffed fuller yet still have a waterproof seal. The straps going over or under the seat are long too; much longer than the Ortliebs, and needed for a wide bike like the V-Strom.

The bags don't seem to fit my Precision Motorcycle Racks (pmracks.com) side racks on my V-Strom very well; hard to get them attached to the rack where they don't flop around. They work; I'd just like them more solidly attached. A more rectangular-shaped rack like the Givi or Happy Trails SL may be better, but I'm not sure. If you want them really solid, I guess you could mount pucks and use one of those racks.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #43
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Never suspected you of lying!
The fabric is decent stuff; well-suited to the intended purpose. It has a heavier/thicker PVC coating and a thinner cloth fabric than most other dry bag material I have seen. Just an observation; not a criticism. Plenty strong enough..

I look forward to your pics - it seems my current situation is not conducive to motorcycle exploits.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Oh no! What happened?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Oh no! What happened?
Dabbed when I shouldn't have...?

Fractures in 7 places. My riding season is over before it started!