Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #2431
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I installed the version 4.2 firmware a few weeks ago. Noticed since then that if I am riding alone (i.e. no intercom activity) I can't turn off the music from my Blackberry. Once turned on by a 1 second press on the jog dial, any further presses (short or 1 second) just result in a short pause in the music.

Anyone else having this issue?
Yes, sort of. It's gotten fussy about the shutoff command. Be sure to wait for the two beeps. Timing is crucial, for some reason. "On the bench" it took me 2 or 3 tries to pause music. On the road, more like five.

-dan
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #2432
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
I installed the version 4.2 firmware a few weeks ago. Noticed since then that if I am riding alone (i.e. no intercom activity) I can't turn off the music from my Blackberry. Once turned on by a 1 second press on the jog dial, any further presses (short or 1 second) just result in a short pause in the music.

I'm not, and I updated 2-3 weeks ago myself, but I'm using an iPhone.

If you truly did upgrade "a few weeks ago", you might be running the "beta" Release Candidate version of 4.2. It might be worth doing the following:

1. Factory Reset the Sena units through the menu (hold the jog dial for 12 seconds or something like that to get to the menu?)
2. Remove the Bluetooth Pairing from your Blackberry.
3. Upgrade the SMH10 to the latest version of 4.2 with the latest firmware installer.
4. Factory reset again.
5. Pair the SMH10 and Blackberry again.

Good luck!

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2433
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:

Yes, my music shutoff has been fussy with my iphone.

On another note, I have had my Sena for a week. I commuted to work for 4 days and today I put down 1300 miles of a 4500 mile trip. The device is everything I hoped it to be....except the stupid design of the clip that lets you use your own headphones.

Yes, it is well documented so I'm not surprised. But I'm just confirming it. My it already breaking. I have it duct taped up right now to keep it together. Without the tape when I turn my head check my blink spot it pulls on the dongle and the left ear cuts out. That means it's already broken.

It's amazing that such a well designed product could have such a badly designed feature. They need to make the earbud jack internal like the mp3 jack. The dongle is just stupid.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #2434
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 916
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post

On another note, I have had my Sena for a week. I commuted to work for 4 days and today I put down 1300 miles of a 4500 mile trip. The device is everything I hoped it to be....except the stupid design of the clip that lets you use your own headphones.

Yes, it is well documented so I'm not surprised. But I'm just confirming it. My it already breaking. I have it duct taped up right now to keep it together. Without the tape when I turn my head check my blink spot it pulls on the dongle and the left ear cuts out. That means it's already broken.

It's amazing that such a well designed product could have such a badly designed feature. They need to make the earbud jack internal like the mp3 jack. The dongle is just stupid.
Agreed. For us, as a retailer, this is the #1 trouble spot on the Sena product. Bear in mind, that the earbud clamp kits were not originally available, and came out about 6 months after the SMH10 was introduced. We are the one's that recommended that as an option, on day one - we've been selling the Sena for three years, come next week. So, the earbud option was an *afterthought*. The new socket is a bit better than the old non-flexible one, but still not great. The best fix, or *hack* we've seen, is to use Sugru around the base of the earbud socket.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #2435
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Something that might help you guys who updated to 4.2 and are having music shut off issues. I contacted Sena a while back regarding an issue similar. Here is what fixed it for me.
'Go to our support site and download the Sena Device Manager. Using this app you can turn off the High Quality A2DP, under Device Setting. "

Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #2436
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,812
+1. I've found that all my music issues seem to resolve around the High fidelity A2DP option and honestly I can't tell the difference with the sound except that music is much more picky with it enabled.

I have 1 phone that when that's enabled and I ride with my wife, my music skips constantly. Its fine if I'm by myself. When I turn that off, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Something that might help you guys who updated to 4.2 and are having music shut off issues. I contacted Sena a while back regarding an issue similar. Here is what fixed it for me.
'Go to our support site and download the Sena Device Manager. Using this app you can turn off the High Quality A2DP, under Device Setting. "

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #2437
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

What about the EDR option -- anyone find different behavior based on this setting?

-dan
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #2438
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
What about the EDR option -- anyone find different behavior based on this setting?

-dan
What's the one they tell you turn off if you are connecting to a BMW motorcycle system? Is that EDR? I want to say I have EDR off, but I'd have to look to be sure.

I can't say that I've seen a difference either way.

I want to say there is one that affects a direct pairing to the Yaesu FTM-10 with the BU-1 chip installed, bit its been awhile so again I'm not sure?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #2439
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, that's the one they say to leave off if you are connecting to certain BMW on-bike systems. It is off by default and I haven't tried it on -- just curious.

-dan
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #2440
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Sugru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
Agreed. For us, as a retailer, this is the #1 trouble spot on the Sena product. Bear in mind, that the earbud clamp kits were not originally available, and came out about 6 months after the SMH10 was introduced. We are the one's that recommended that as an option, on day one - we've been selling the Sena for three years, come next week. So, the earbud option was an *afterthought*. The new socket is a bit better than the old non-flexible one, but still not great. The best fix, or *hack* we've seen, is to use Sugru around the base of the earbud socket.
+1 on the Sugru. I mounted my Sena SMH10 on my new HJC IS-16 helmet 2 days ago with the earbud adaptor. The first thing I did was encapsulate both the earbud adaptor and the flimsy chin-mic wire in black Sugru. It came out great and the whole thing now feels bullet-proof. Woe to me if I need to decapsulate this in the future to change out the earbuds! It is do-able, but I'll probably stab myself with an eXacto knife at some point. If you haven't used it - Sugru is amazing stuff and you will want to buy lots of it.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #2441
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
+1. I've found that all my music issues seem to resolve around the High fidelity A2DP option and honestly I can't tell the difference with the sound except that music is much more picky with it enabled.

I have 1 phone that when that's enabled and I ride with my wife, my music skips constantly. Its fine if I'm by myself. When I turn that off, no issues.
I asked Sena Support what it does exactly. Apparently it is just data buffering. Like you, once it was off all of my issues went away.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #2442
univibe88
Slidell4Life

a

Speaking of fussy music playback, on my ride today the music kept pausing itself. Every 30 seconds to 3 minutes the music would just stop. I'd have to hold down the job button twice to get it to come back on.

It's odd that I put in 1300 miles yesterday with no problem. Then 600 miles in to today's ride my music was unlistenable b/c it kept pausing. Maybe I can fix this by turning off the high quality A2DP?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #2443
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Quote:
Funny that the original design was deemed inadequate b/c of its rigid design...so Sena "fixed" it by making it flexible. But that flex point is a weak point, so the "fix" is to make it rigid with Sugru (or JB Weld.)

(Not at dig at you RocketMoto at all. Very good info and thank you for sharing it.)

Please just make a clip with an integrated jack!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #2444
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Funny that the original design was deemed inadequate b/c of its rigid design...so Sena "fixed" it by making it flexible. But that flex point is a weak point, so the "fix" is to make it rigid with Sugru (or JB Weld.)

(Not at dig at you RocketMoto at all. Very good info and thank you for sharing it.)

Please just make a clip with an integrated jack!
The rigid design was exceptionally problematic - these broke all the time. So in effort to resolve, Sena moved to the flexible version. Problem is, it's not flexible enough. Maybe we should start selling packets of Sugru with each earbud clamp kit?

Best thing would be to completely redesign the thing with a flush mounted socket, or have a dongle connector that hangs down a few inches. This is what Autocom does and they're pretty darn reliable.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #2445
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Quote:
Best thing would be to completely redesign the thing with a flush mounted socket, .
Yup