Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #151
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Shove the WalMart rant. If you find some stuff at other discount stores why not post those instead of bitching. WalMart employs millions of people plus supports millions more in supplier/distribution systems. Gheez.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #152
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 599
Deleted to keep the peace.

HeatXfer screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 08:05 AM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #153
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Ignorance is bliss. Carry on
Pompous jackass. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are ignorant.
By the way, I'm not normally a Walmart defender but buying power goes up 17% when Walmart moves into a town. That may make no difference to you, but it does to a lot of people.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #154
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
I'm not saying I've tested it extensively, but I bought a WM tent while on a bike trip a few weeks ago, and I found it fine for some of the aspects I needed. I wet it down and let it dry before using it to try to tighten it up, but otherwise kinda hope it will be somewhat water resistant later on.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #155
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. Carry on
thats what i was going to say to you,,,, its easy to blame a logo, but what really happened is the american ppl decided they wanted the cheapest goods they could find and shopped at the store making it the giant that it is, not the other way round.

stop the madness, be pissed at your neighbors who shop there.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #156
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 599
Deleted to keep the peace.

HeatXfer screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 08:06 AM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #157
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
How are they working out? I can't convince myself to drop the coin for an airhawk.

I have one on my KLR and one on my Bandit. I went to a fabric store and bought some foam that is used to stuff pillows and put it under the seat cover. Made it nice and cushy. YMMV
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #158
cotrailrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I would rather spend my cash at WW than REI or any other of the eco-stores.
2004 Beta 270 Rev3
cotrailrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #159
fbj913 OP
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Enough of the Walmart battle already. I have been passing through small towns in the US and the only place to find anything is a Walmart. Yeah, it's not my first place to shop, but it is handy every once in a while.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #160
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Enough of the Walmart battle already. I have been passing through small towns in the US and the only place to find anything is a Walmart. Yeah, it's not my first place to shop, but it is handy every once in a while.
Same.

I work 6 days a week normally. I can order stuff online, but with the slavery that the "American way" has created (we work more, longer, than most in the world - especially out of developed countries - and for what seems to be a lower standard of living), if it's almost time to go - or if I'm out on the road - WalMart serves the purpose until they are only selling items that won't stand up to even the first-occasion's use.

The way out is through making enough money at a job where one doesn't have to work 60 or 70 hour weeks, then spending accordingly. (Edit: i.e. I would have both the time to be both creative in which businesses I shopped at, and had the time to get to them) The way it is, it's at the point that I don't even trust WW to have what I want or need and just order it via Amazon (which the posters, above, should equally criticize me for).

My last orders from Amazon were even for work slacks and dress shoes since I have so little time to actually try to go shopping. Next - belts to match the shoes because, again, I don't have the time nor energy to even try shopping at a bunch of stores in a mall to try to get things to match.

Wally World serves the American life the way it is now. You guys may not like it, but asking us to shop elsewhere is too much (edit: without, first, changing the economy under which we toil - if I'm required to work six and sometimes seven day weeks, don't expect me to go anywhere that has less of a selection).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:05 PM Reason: edits are in itallics - edited for clarity
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #161
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo410 View Post
when you're camping with somebody who can't tell the difference between poison oak and poison Ivy
Does it make a difference?

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #162
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 137
I wonder how many grocery, tire, florist, furniture, electronics and bicycle stores & cleaners went out of business witin a 10 mile radius of that Wal-Mart? Not to mention coffee shops & cafes, bakeries, dry cleaners, auto parts stores and repair shops?

How many people work there part time and aren't eligible for health care?

Did you know that Wal-Marts in China are unionized?

What a great company.

Hey Weinernoggen, don't assume it's bad to pay less just because you can pay more. Don't assume people that work their 20-30hr jobs have a choice, and don't assume a job in China is an alternative to a fooked up two-tiered economy that most of us have to survive in. If you have the golden ticket, live your life and don't complain, or change the climate. Whole Foods and the rest of the primadonna retailers aren't gems when it comes to workers rights either, yet they exploit their market and thrive just like Wally World. Some continue to buy cheap 98% of the time unless there is a reason to overpay for quality. Some can't afford to do it any other way.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #163
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Same.

I work 6 days a week normally. I can order stuff online, but with the slavery that the "American way" has created
The way out is through making enough money at a job where one doesn't have to work 60 or 70 hour weeks

edited my reply cause i dont think its the right place to discuss, i will simply say i disagree with the statement.

2 SPOT screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 11:09 PM
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #164
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Although there are clearly phenominal deals to be had at Wal-Mart, I won't shop there for two basic reasons: they treat their employees poorly and they're destroying the local economies of small U.S. towns. I believe many in these forums are aware of how Wal-Mart opporates.

I realize it's not possible to live in North America and not buy foreign made goods. Just look at our motos, but I buy as many items as possible from local and small businesses and avoid the big box stores where 99% of what they sell ends-up in land fill.

$.02
My wife is a 30 year employee. They have treated her ok. Both kids worked there while they went to college. They worked with them on their hours. Daughter transferred schools 3 times and every time there was a job at Walmart waiting for her until she went to work for another company everybody loves to hate. Bank of America and they started paying her tuition. Here in the small town I live in the people that owned main street businesses all lived in the fancy part of town called Countryside Estates and after Walmart moved in (store 44 by the way) they continued to live there. Walmart has more than 100 jobs and pays better and better benefits than the small stores had. I was in Estes Park CO in a fancy store and saw a shirt I liked. Looked at the price tag and walked off. Then I thought that maybe it was American made and went back. Made in Pakistan.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #165
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
My wife is a 30 year employee. They have treated her ok. Both kids worked there while they went to college. They worked with them on their hours. Daughter transferred schools 3 times and every time there was a job at Walmart waiting for her until she went to work for another company everybody loves to hate. Bank of America and they started paying her tuition. Here in the small town I live in the people that owned main street businesses all lived in the fancy part of town called Countryside Estates and after Walmart moved in (store 44 by the way) they continued to live there. Walmart has more than 100 jobs and pays better and better benefits than the small stores had. I was in Estes Park CO in a fancy store and saw a shirt I liked. Looked at the price tag and walked off. Then I thought that maybe it was American made and went back. Made in Pakistan.
Well-said!! I grew up poor and remember getting stuff at Salvation Army since we couldn't afford all those nice little retailers in our small town; then came KMart! Wow, that was an upgrade!! Then I made really good money and I upscaled to Nordstrom, et al. Now I am older and heading back to being poor. I don't choose Walmart if I can find what I need at a price *I* can afford (thanks Dealnews.com!); if not, then Walmart serves well!

I really hate being told what to do by someone who knows zip about me, my life or my needs. But they sure like to do it. Guess they must be a higher life-form.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote