~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
mhouck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I have a Klim Adventure Jacket which I like. It is well thought out and relatively stylish (much less so than the Badlands and Latitude, though). It was designed by someone who understands Dual Sport touring (Adventure Spec). It is one of the first and still very few jackets that you can use with a Leatt Brace. It is 100% waterproof. The materials are top notch and it is well made.

However, it was made in China (which surprised me) and I have been unable to find anyone who will work on it (I want to add wrist zippers, the only thing I really miss). Basically, what you see is what you get with Klim and if it gets damaged, you pretty much throw it away and buy another, which is not what I was expecting in a $1200 jacket.

The Badlands and Latitude are more stylish but less functional than the Adv, IMO. It's interesting that Klim's top of the line jacket looks more like a Darien than their "less expensive" jackets (everything Klim is expensive, it's just degrees of expensive). I keep looking at adding a Badlands jacket to the closet for street riding and leave the Adv for dual sport (yes, I am a gear whore).

I have a friend with a Darien and it looks functional rather than stylish but it is made in the USA and can be modified or repaired if required. The Darien does not look that impressive at Starbucks.

I have an Aerostich RC one piece on the way and I am looking forward to trying it out. Style is only one part of the equation, IMO.
Thanks to all for the comments. Looks as though I will go with Aerostich - that said I have taken a closer look at their catalogue and kind of like the roadcrafter. It looks a bit shorter and has the option to mix colours. (high vis on shoulders and elbows, etc) Is there much difference between the Darien and the Roadcrafter?
mhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I recently bought a Klim Latitude from www.atomic-moto.com and couldn't be happier with it. I rode for a solid day in driving rain, snow, sleet and high winds...bone dry at the end of the day. Ride report here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550

One of the worst days I've ever spent on a bike and the Latitude performed flawlessly. It is a great piece of gear.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
The Jinx
I'm an angel... :p

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
i recently bought a klim latitude from www.atomic-moto.com and couldn't be happier with it. I rode for a solid day in driving rain, snow, sleet and high winds...bone dry at the end of the day. Ride report here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550

one of the worst days i've ever spent on a bike and the latitude performed flawlessly. It is a great piece of gear.
+1

My other 2-wheels....
2008 Pinarello Prince Carbon (road bike)
2004 Ellsworth Truth (MTB)
The Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck View Post
Thanks to all for the comments. Looks as though I will go with Aerostich - that said I have taken a closer look at their catalogue and kind of like the roadcrafter. It looks a bit shorter and has the option to mix colours. (high vis on shoulders and elbows, etc) Is there much difference between the Darien and the Roadcrafter?
They use to be made out of different materials and the RC leaked in the crotch,but I think it offered alittle better protection.I do believe they got the crotch leak problem fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
mhouck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
They use to be made out of different materials and the RC leaked in the crotch,but I think it offered alittle better protection.I do believe they got the crotch leak problem fixed.

Cool - I'm just getting the jacket, so crotch leak is not a concern.
mhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

The leak I think was manely the 1 peice.Nice to know that you can order up matching zip to the coat pants anytime !!.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #23
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
The wife and I both have RC 2-piece suits and love 'em, both had to be custom fit.
They have the "old" style zippers, which they will still install upon request.
The crotch leak was on the 1-piece design, the crotch on the 2-pice is covered by the jacket.
We like the versatility of the 2-piece, being able to zip off the pants and wear the jacket if it's cold and we are just walking around.
You don't get style points for wearing a 'stich, just incredible utility and unmatched protection for the price.

I continue to look at other gear, but I don't know why...none of it stacks up the the 'stich.
The bottom line...Made in the USA, Custom Fit Available and Outstanding Customer Service.

Cheers and good luck.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

I think the "STITCH " is stylish in a way.I use to see guys wearing them and thought " now there's a real rider ".
I have been into LD riding for years and in the old days the big names always wore a stitch !!.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 484
For a premium jacket, it will always be Aerostich. I've had my jacket in brutal rain, hail and sleet for 8 out of 10 days, on adventure trip. It performed perfectly.
Product support is magnificient.

I wish our M/C's were made as good as this jacket.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

++++++1

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #27
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck View Post
They are very different.

The Darien is unlined and the armor goes into sleeves that then attach to velcro that is glued to the inside of the jacket. I have had back-pad velcro come off and other velcro start to peel away. The cut is full and I can fit 3 insulated layers under my Darien for Winter riding on bikes without enough generating capacity for an electric jacket. The Darien also has a more complete labyrinth flap at the main zipper to exclude water better.

The RC is fully lined with nylon and the armor goes into pockets that are part of the suit. The cut is trim and, like you, I prefer the appearance of the RC. New RC suits have a type of zipper that is supposed to be more waterproof, but it's still not the fabric labyrinth of the Darien.

The Darien pants have a short jeans-style fly with no gusset behind it. This means that the Darien pants need a longer jacket to keep water off the fly. The RC jacket may or may not be long enough to cover on every person on every bike. The Darien jacket is long enough. (AD1 pants may have a gusset behind the fly to work with shorter jackets, but I am not really that familiar with the imported AD1.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote