User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,035
Seal doctor

Just put an order in for the Risk Racing seal doctor. The RF seal on my Tiger has started leaking with only about 7k on it since the forks were done at Traxxion Dynamics. Not trying to place any blame ,just hoping a cleaning will suffice as I have done some offroading and nasty weather riding with the bike.Did I mention I like wheelies? Just wondering if anyone has had any luck cleaning seals or have I been a sucker for a gimmick tool. Did I mention I like wheelies? Any way, I figure to give it a shot but already purchased new seals as my luck with easy fixes is nothing to brag about.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Just put an order in for the Risk Racing seal doctor. The RF seal on my Tiger has started leaking with only about 7k on it since the forks were done at Traxxion Dynamics. Not trying to place any blame ,just hoping a cleaning will suffice as I have done some offroading and nasty weather riding with the bike.Did I mention I like wheelies? Just wondering if anyone has had any luck cleaning seals or have I been a sucker for a gimmick tool. Did I mention I like wheelies? Any way, I figure to give it a shot but already purchased new seals as my luck with easy fixes is nothing to brag about.
Cleaning seals works as long as the seal isn't compromised already. A seal cleaning tool can be made from any thin, flexible, plastic material. 35mm film used to be the standard material (material for several cleaning tools came free with your prints. Crappy photographers got the best deal ).
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Ditto. 35mm film. Doesn't always work, but at zero cost and zero risk, it's worth a try before hauling everything apart again.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Ditto. 35mm film. Doesn't always work, but at zero cost and zero risk, it's worth a try before hauling everything apart again.
.Used the film trick on my WR a month ago. Still holding up.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,390
What is this picture film you speak of?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
What is this picture film you speak of?
It'd be funny if some company sold film (without the emulsion layers) as:

Fork Seal Cleaner By-The-Foot
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,429
A friend gave me the Risk Racing Seal doctor which I had thrown in the tool box and forgot about. My YZ 125 was leaking pretty bad so I ran the Seal Doctor around them real quick and it's been 2 weeks and 2 rides and not a drop, well worth the price . Actually now I'm sold!
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Finally,someone who actually tried one. Mine didn't arrive yet and luckily neither has any decent weather. I'll report ,good or bad.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,429
The Seal doctor has a hook to it so it pulls debris out with it, the film is a 50-50 chance of getting it out. Actually very well designed and although somewhat expensive (for a piece of plastic) it pays for itself in one use.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Well I finally used it and it definitely cleaned some gook out of the seal ,looked like dead bug guts with some wing remnants mixed in. Didn't ride it yet,maybe Wed.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,135
James (Risk Racing owner) is a purty smart rider.....

He will also try to feed you tacos when your almost passed out, laying on the floor of a strip club in MN at 3am..... Don't ask how I know this.....
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,497
Seal tool trmplate

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...l-template.pdf

I found this while searching for a homemade fork seal driver. The guy on the Wing forum used a coke bottle for the tool. Haven't tried it myself yet.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
I used the tool. Worked good, but I was using a tie down in the back of my truck to hold he bike up (long story). I didn't realise I had pressure on the forks as the bike was layed over to the opposite size. It like out some fluid, plus what it leaked out. It would likely be best to get the front wheel totally unweighted.

I did the race, but need to refill the correct level on both sides. I will be changing the oil. Stopped the leak though and did its job. The tool now lives in the "Race bag" that pretty much goes with me when I ride. Its a small canvas tool bag that has all my enduro use stuff as well as small tools for adjustments and various other things. With that tool bag and what is in my butt bag I think I could pretty much disassemble my whole bike!
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Put about 200 miles on it since using the tool and all seems well. Leaving for 3 day trip on Fri. that will be the real test.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
The Seal doctor has a hook to it so it pulls debris out with it, the film is a 50-50 chance of getting it out. Actually very well designed and although somewhat expensive (for a piece of plastic) it pays for itself in one use.
I've used both. One works just as well as the other. You're supposed to cut a hook into the film