User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
ilikebass OP
Zircaloy-4

Oddometer: 9
Laugh Shipping Companies: USA to W. Africa

I am planning a trip for this coming January, 2013. This time around it will be Africa to Europe, and all through it. Because of the season though, I'll have to start the trip near the equator, so as I work my way north it will be getting warmer there. I plan to ship the KLR by sea because it's cheapest (I think!).

My current plan is to ship the bike to Lagos, Nigeria. I figure as I wind my way up north, I will be spending less cash and by the time I get to Spain the weather will be nice enough to hang out there and in Italy until it warms up enough to get up to Germany and Scandinavia (of course through some of Eastern Europe as well).

Question:

I can ride the bike to any port on the Atlantic coast of the US. What shipping companies have you used to ship from the eastern US to western Africa? What are the costs and considerations? Who should I contact?

Again I am flexible as to what city I ship out of and what city I arrive in, as long as the arrival is in West Africa (not too far south which would take too long to get to Europe, but not too far north like to Morocco because it would be too cold in January). I am located in Ann Arbor, Mi by the way.

Also I welcome information on getting from the US directly to Europe, in case I decide to just wait a few months and go to Europe direct. I found a company that will ship from Newark, NJ to Bremerhaven, Germany for $800 (shipoverseas.com). Pretty good! Hope I can get something comparable to Africa...

Thanks!!
Alex

ilikebass screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 10:17 PM Reason: I'm open to all Africa, not just Nigeria
ilikebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
ilikebass OP
Zircaloy-4

Oddometer: 9
Well, I found a pretty decent one: aascargo.com will ship from Houston, Tx to Lagos for $650, $250 to crate it. From Ann Arbor, it is $270 to get down to Houston, or I could ride it down there... 4-6 weeks transit time.

No one with experience doing this?
ilikebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
I have nothing to add except my interest in the topic.

I would want to ship to Cape Town or maybe Maputo or something...

Whatever quotes you find, keep posting. Keep in mind that a lot of these quotes may not include all the fees and duties that may be very big compared to 'shipping' quote they give you...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Nigeria really? Don't know about shipping there but I've delivered some of our company boats to Nigeria. ROYAL PITA! Everyone one you deal with from the customs/Immigration to the medicos checking your shot card to the locals is crazy corrupt. Don't think I'd feel to secure either having a bike warehoused in Nigeria. I would ship to Douala Cameroon or Luanda Angola. Good luck but I'd avoid Nigeria like the plague.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Nigeria really? Don't know about shipping there but I've delivered some of our company boats to Nigeria. ROYAL PITA! Everyone one you deal with from the customs/Immigration to the medicos checking your shot card to the locals is crazy corrupt. Don't think I'd feel to secure either having a bike warehoused in Nigeria. I would ship to Douala Cameroon or Luanda Angola. Good luck but I'd avoid Nigeria like the plague.
I have no personal experience from Nigeria... but still think you may probably be right.

On the other hand, youre unlikely to avoid large-scale corruption, when shipping a vehicle to anywhere in Africa, except the very southern part, maybe. If I had to send to Nigeria, Id probably try to get it freighted by air, as corrupted sea ports are often the worst places to deal with.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,210
I have recently learned that I won $53,000,000,000 that is waiting for me to pick up in Nigeria. I know, I can't believe my luck! Could we work out something where you pick it up for me and I will give you $10,000,000,000 billion for your assistance?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
vonskilops
n00b

Oddometer: 1
shipping to Nigeria

Try A2 Global Shipping.
info@a2globalshipping.com
vonskilops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
When you get there find out what happened to my lottery winnings! I already paid the fee but they have yet to send me the winnings.....

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I have recently learned that I won $53,000,000,000 that is waiting for me to pick up in Nigeria. I know, I can't believe my luck! Could we work out something where you pick it up for me and I will give you $10,000,000,000 billion for your assistance?

I'm sure they could arrange shipping at a reasonable rate as well. Just give them your address and two guys in a van will be over shortly to pick up the bike. No paperwork needed, because their Uncle is a government minister.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I am in the car transport business and 80% of my customers are Nigerians shipping cars and bikes to there. I asked one of them how much it would cost me if I put my bike in one of therir containers and paid my share. They said about $200. There are lots of companies in Elizabeth, NJ that only do vehicles to Nigeria and Ghana, easy to skip the middlemen. There is also RoRo service out of Bayonne, NJ.

I'm heading outfor a ride right now but when I get back I'll post some companies and phone #'s

Mitch

vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
castroses
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
vicmitch's post seems sensible.

BUT before I read it I would have said:
NIGERIA???? Just NO!!!!!!
castroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I'm not going to Nigeria, but I am going to New Mexico from Ohio and want to ship my bike home.

I have a quote from AA Motorcycle, any thoughts?