Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 512 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #28171
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Riding with my wire has presented a problem though, as she can't look around to say live her life (and that could be literal one of these days! )
Girlfriend does the same thing on the road with her bike, and it scares the shit out of me. Few weeks ago she crossed the double line on a downhill blind curve to get around a parked truck doing about 30mph. Had there been a car coming the other way, she would have been a hood ornament. I try to not be an asshole, but when my heart jumps out of my chest at a completely stupid and preventable move pulled by a borderline brilliant loved one, it's hard to be polite. I've put the cabosh on motorcycle license for her if I'm in the picture, she's just not careful enough.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #28172
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Girlfriend does the same thing on the road with her bike, and it scares the shit out of me. Few weeks ago she crossed the double line on a downhill blind curve to get around a parked truck doing about 30mph. Had there been a car coming the other way, she would have been a hood ornament. I try to not be an asshole, but when my heart jumps out of my chest at a completely stupid and preventable move pulled by a borderline brilliant loved one, it's hard to be polite. I've put the cabosh on motorcycle license for her if I'm in the picture, she's just not careful enough.
Sounds about right... I'm considering that I'm going to have to slow down just to stick close to her until she can gain some situational awareness.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #28173
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Who's up for a mixed surface century Sun AM?

M
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #28174
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,312
Must be nice to ride where the roads actually have shoulders!

When I lived in Wyoming I used to ride all over the State as I travelled for work and always took that nice wide escape strip for granted. Even the roads in Grand Teton and Yellowstone had great shoulders (still dangerous, though, because the tourons were looking at the critters or scenery and not the roads). Now I live in rural Virginia where there really are no shoulders, period, on any roads except the busiest two-lanes and the Interstate. Even the Blue Ridge Parkway, an absolutely glorious place to ride, has zero shoulders - cross the white line and you're in the ditch. The really rural roads are like 1.5 lanes wide with not even a center line. Gets a little hairy at times...

FWIW, I've found that the most dangerous time to ride out here is around noon on Sundays when all the old folks are out in their cars for the weekly trip to church (there are churches EVERYWHERE out here!) and lunch with their friends. It gets downright scary being on a 1.5 lane wide twisty hilly road with a bunch of deaf and blind 90 year olds driving their 1970's American Heavy Metal tanks around.

Doug
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #28175
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Must be nice to ride where the roads actually have shoulders!
It can be. If you look between the first bike in the picture and the second bike, you can see the rumble strips that line the shoulder. They aren't built to national specs so if you have to dive off the road, you get quite a jar. Beyond them on the other side is road debris.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #28176
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It can be. If you look between the first bike in the picture and the second bike, you can see the rumble strips that line the shoulder. They aren't built to national specs so if you have to dive off the road, you get quite a jar. Beyond them on the other side is road debris.
They do that shit in AL too. Found it out when I went to visit a friend from HS that moved down there.

M
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #28177
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,084
New sled!

The 520 steel Jamis couldn't take any more of it. Time for an upgrade.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #28178
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
What an inspiring photograph. In Florida, those riders would be all over the road, blocking traffic for miles.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #28179
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
New sled!

The 520 steel Jamis couldn't take any more of it. Time for an upgrade.
Nice! I need a new mountain bike, but decided to go for one with a motor instead and got a WR250R!

I love this photo - look at all the well-used and well-loved toys! Motorcycles, bicycles, kayak, but WTF is up with the vacuum cleaner? Can you ride that thing on the street? Does it fly?

Doug
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #28180
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Took my Fargo on its maiden voyage yesterday. I REALLY like it!
We got about 8-10" of snow on Weds-Thursday, so I wasn't sure I would get out. The day looked good so I figured I would go for an hour ride or so. Temp was around 38 and going between sun and snow showers (not flurries). Around my area the streets were plowed quite well with only a few piles of snow to cruise through here and there (they were slush). When I got into Minneapolis the roads were only plowed to the line and not the bike lane line.... After getting buzzed by a few busses and riding through some pretty deep puddles I called it and headed home.
When I started there was a "slight" breeze out of the north, my ride took me south of my house. So now the fun begins. I turned around to head home into a 30mph headwind. The plus side is it was not gusty. I wiggled my way home using roads that have trees and such so it was not THAT bad. My legs were fried when I got home.
I did have a nice ride and my fenders worked great. I love the bike much more than my low trail Rawland I was riding last year. Wool is a good thing and gore-tex is not overated....

11 miles in an hour.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #28181
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What an inspiring photograph. In Florida, those riders would be all over the road, blocking traffic for miles.
Were they triathletes?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #28182
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Were they triathletes?
Worse: Duathletes

Today was a 'doesn't happen very often' situation. I bailed on a ride. Flatted within the first 10min. Tire had a low spot in it that you could feel every rotation. Legs felt like poo.

...then when I stopped to try and work out the lump a few miles later the bike fell over. That's it. I'm done. Back to the truck and back home. I'll try again another time 'cause this ride's obviously not going my way.

M
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #28183
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #28184
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Specialized S-Works Venge

Took one out for a spin this morning. It's a VERY impressive ride.

Ready to ride, it registered 15.5 lbs on the scales, which is very light for an 56cm 'aero frame' bike. Seat of the pants impression suggested that it picks up speed very rapidly, but I couldn't be sure until I took it to a local drag strip. It's a straight one mile long paved trail that simply dead-ends in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea why it was built, but it's been a favorite with all the local speed freaks.

I mounted my Garmin to the handlebar, got down in the drops, and did one fast run. Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing far too hard at the beginning because I wanted to see how fast the bike would accelerate. By the time I could see the end of the trail, I was totally exhausted and gasping for air. I had nothing left to give, and could only watch in dismay as my speed steadily decreased. Still, my result tied me with two other riders for 4th place on the Strava leader board, one of whom is a local racer whose name graces the top of many a leader board.

Though I was already tired, I attempted a second run, this time conserving my energy in the early stage. It worked. Though my time was 3 seconds slower than before, my speed from about the halfway mark to the end was 4 mph faster than in the first run. Had I used this technique when I had all my energy, I'm confident that I would have shaved off several seconds and likely ended up in second place on the leader board. We'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...am-us-11-44615
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #28185
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Today was a 'doesn't happen very often' situation. I bailed on a ride. Flatted within the first 10min. Tire had a low spot in it that you could feel every rotation. Legs felt like poo.

...then when I stopped to try and work out the lump a few miles later the bike fell over. That's it. I'm done. Back to the truck and back home. I'll try again another time 'cause this ride's obviously not going my way.

M
Well then, I don't feel so bad about backing out of the Honey Badger. Both of the guys I was going with cancelled earlier in the week. I ended up not really wanting to drive 3 hrs. to do a pretty tough ride with a bunch of strangers. So I wussed out, too. Instead, I went on a long solo jaunt, stopping at a decent little taqueria for lunch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: