Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #28291
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
New sled!

The 520 steel Jamis couldn't take any more of it. Time for an upgrade.
Nice! I need a new mountain bike, but decided to go for one with a motor instead and got a WR250R!

I love this photo - look at all the well-used and well-loved toys! Motorcycles, bicycles, kayak, but WTF is up with the vacuum cleaner? Can you ride that thing on the street? Does it fly?

Doug
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #28292
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,676
Took my Fargo on its maiden voyage yesterday. I REALLY like it!
We got about 8-10" of snow on Weds-Thursday, so I wasn't sure I would get out. The day looked good so I figured I would go for an hour ride or so. Temp was around 38 and going between sun and snow showers (not flurries). Around my area the streets were plowed quite well with only a few piles of snow to cruise through here and there (they were slush). When I got into Minneapolis the roads were only plowed to the line and not the bike lane line.... After getting buzzed by a few busses and riding through some pretty deep puddles I called it and headed home.
When I started there was a "slight" breeze out of the north, my ride took me south of my house. So now the fun begins. I turned around to head home into a 30mph headwind. The plus side is it was not gusty. I wiggled my way home using roads that have trees and such so it was not THAT bad. My legs were fried when I got home.
I did have a nice ride and my fenders worked great. I love the bike much more than my low trail Rawland I was riding last year. Wool is a good thing and gore-tex is not overated....

11 miles in an hour.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #28293
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
What an inspiring photograph. In Florida, those riders would be all over the road, blocking traffic for miles.
Were they triathletes?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #28294
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Were they triathletes?
Worse: Duathletes

Today was a 'doesn't happen very often' situation. I bailed on a ride. Flatted within the first 10min. Tire had a low spot in it that you could feel every rotation. Legs felt like poo.

...then when I stopped to try and work out the lump a few miles later the bike fell over. That's it. I'm done. Back to the truck and back home. I'll try again another time 'cause this ride's obviously not going my way.

M
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #28295
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #28296
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Specialized S-Works Venge

Took one out for a spin this morning. It's a VERY impressive ride.

Ready to ride, it registered 15.5 lbs on the scales, which is very light for an 56cm 'aero frame' bike. Seat of the pants impression suggested that it picks up speed very rapidly, but I couldn't be sure until I took it to a local drag strip. It's a straight one mile long paved trail that simply dead-ends in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea why it was built, but it's been a favorite with all the local speed freaks.

I mounted my Garmin to the handlebar, got down in the drops, and did one fast run. Unfortunately I made the mistake of pushing far too hard at the beginning because I wanted to see how fast the bike would accelerate. By the time I could see the end of the trail, I was totally exhausted and gasping for air. I had nothing left to give, and could only watch in dismay as my speed steadily decreased. Still, my result tied me with two other riders for 4th place on the Strava leader board, one of whom is a local racer whose name graces the top of many a leader board.

Though I was already tired, I attempted a second run, this time conserving my energy in the early stage. It worked. Though my time was 3 seconds slower than before, my speed from about the halfway mark to the end was 4 mph faster than in the first run. Had I used this technique when I had all my energy, I'm confident that I would have shaved off several seconds and likely ended up in second place on the leader board. We'll find out tomorrow.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...am-us-11-44615
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #28297
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:

Today was a 'doesn't happen very often' situation. I bailed on a ride. Flatted within the first 10min. Tire had a low spot in it that you could feel every rotation. Legs felt like poo.

...then when I stopped to try and work out the lump a few miles later the bike fell over. That's it. I'm done. Back to the truck and back home. I'll try again another time 'cause this ride's obviously not going my way.

M
Well then, I don't feel so bad about backing out of the Honey Badger. Both of the guys I was going with cancelled earlier in the week. I ended up not really wanting to drive 3 hrs. to do a pretty tough ride with a bunch of strangers. So I wussed out, too. Instead, I went on a long solo jaunt, stopping at a decent little taqueria for lunch.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #28298
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

22 miles of two-wheeled therapy today. Although Druid Hill Lake was hosting some sort of dog festival. Talk about obstacle course.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #28299
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Saturday's ride was wiiiiindy. Santa Ana's usually come out of the north in coastal SoCal, but the geography of the Santa Clarita Valley where I often ride on weekends does some strange things to the prevailing wind direction.

This was one of those rides that manged to be 3/4 into the wind. And it was 88deg with nearly no humidity. Had to stop for two water bottle refills during our 40mi trek. This is Spring? Summer may be a killer this year.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #28300
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Saturday's ride was wiiiiindy. Santa Ana's usually come out of the north in coastal SoCal, but the geography of the Santa Clarita Valley where I often ride on weekends does some strange things to the prevailing wind direction.

This was one of those rides that manged to be 3/4 into the wind. And it was 88deg with nearly no humidity. Had to stop for two water bottle refills during our 40mi trek. This is Spring? Summer may be a killer this year.
+1. CAL FIRE is gonna be busy this summer.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #28301
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+1. CAL FIRE is gonna be busy this summer.
Hope not, but those guys rule.

Hillsides and riverbeds are green right now, but they'll be brown by the end of May.

At the second water stop:
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #28302
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,036
its BROWN out there already. I just rode my motorcycle from the central coast to the south Sierra, and it looked like July across most of the state, not April.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #28303
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
How many more rides does this Hutchinson have left in it?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #28304
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
How many more rides does this Hutchinson have left in it?
If you're lucky? Many

If you're unlucky? None

G'luck!

M
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #28305
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
If you're lucky? Many

If you're unlucky? None

G'luck!

M
I've never been lucky... so I changed it after finding two more of those on the tire. It was the longest lasting rear I've ever tried on a road bike. Got that century coming up in less than two weeks.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: