Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
ColonelDibsies OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
How to rummage through one's property politely?

Driving home from work this morning after a long exciting day of Cleaning floors, oh yeah, living the dream.

But anyway, got in my old truck, and was driving past a dirty lot, it's got a 90-something chevy kinda sitting there, but next to it, was a motorcycle and sidecar! I didn't notice it til today, and I want it!

What is proper protocol here? It's half under a tarp, can I look under the tarp? or should I just leave a note somewhere that will be seen? I don't want to be some nosy guy poking around where I'm not welcome, but I also don't want to get in touch with someone, bother him to show me a giant rustbucket you couldn't pay me to take....

Any advice or stories that would help me out here? I work again Monday so I'd like to make my move then.
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 840
Find out who owns the lot, or at least who is paying the taxes and the government thinks owns the lot. This information is generally available through the local government website by the address. Contact the owner and ask about the truck and motorcycle on the lot.

Personally, I have the lack of social couth to completely remove the tarp and examine the motorcycle/sidecar in the light of day - but enough consideration to put the tarp back as it came off. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
ColonelDibsies OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Laugh

after a little stalking on google earth, I saw that it wasn't a lot, but someone's backyard. Just set up funny with no fences and the way the street runs.

I think I will stop by monday and just check under the tarp, see if it's worth pursuing at all. I've been boldened by the internet. Hoping it's great and cheap and my next thread will be in the Hacks section!
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,303
I would go ask permission to look at the bike first, maybe under the guise of looking at the truck (so you don't tip your hand). That way, you don't have to explain to a LEO what you were doing poking around in someone's backyard (or worse, asking your significant other to pick rock salt out of your back side). Put yourself in that person's shoes, how would you like it if someone was poking around in your backyard?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I would go ask permission to look at the bike first, maybe under the guise of looking at the truck (so you don't tip your hand). That way, you don't have to explain to a LEO what you were doing poking around in someone's backyard (or worse, asking your significant other to pick rock salt out of your back side). Put yourself in that person's shoes, how would you like it if someone was poking around in your backyard?

^this . . . . . . there's no harm in knocking on the door and asking . . . . . worste case, if, after two or three attempts, leave a note in the mailbox?

far as I can tell, there IS no way to politely rummage through someone's property politely.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 10,877
In Texas.

Entering Private property and removing a tarp, could lead to a shotgun blasting exit

I am sure I would politely seek permission, It will make any price negotiations go much smoother

Isaiah 55:11
" so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 755
Yeah, I'm pretty sure proper protocol is not messing with other people's stuff without their permission.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
In Texas.

Entering Private property and removing a tarp, could lead to a shotgun blasting exit wound
Fixed!

You just noticed it there? Is this a used car lot? Does it have a "for sale" sign on it?
Maybe the guy just bought it for himself.
Why be sneaky about it? Once you ask the question(is it for sale) the cat is out of the bag anyway. If it's not, forget about it.
Go knock on the door and ask if its for sale, assuming no "for sale" sign, and proceed from there.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,218
go knock on the door

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,066
Ding dong....

"hi, my name's peter, just happen to be driving by and saw that hack under the tarp. Would you mind if I lifted the skirt a little? I used to have one a few years ago and I thought it looked familiar. I'll put everything back in place exactly as I found it. Thank you sir, much appreciated"

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,326
What he said. If I catch you in my yard rifling through shit, we'll have words, and your chances of buying anything from me are pretty minimal. OTOH, a polite knock on the door, followed by the conversation above, might be productive for both of us.
Not that I'm some kind of aggressive a-hole, but picture this: You walk out to your garage, and there's some guy wandering around checking out your riding gear and bike. Your reaction is.... what? "Good morning sir, may I help you?" or, "WTF are you doing!?!?!?"
Knock on the door and introduce yourself! Geez.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,381
Pretty easy really, how would you want it handled if it was your property?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,532
What Sailah said...

If I were to catch you with your head under a tarp at my place things would go south quickly, and you would be talking to the Sheriff about your trespass ticket, after I was finished...at the least.

That said, we have polite people stop by all the time to ask about directions because this road shows it going through on their GPS, asking about the bare property that is for sale above us on the hill, lost, vehicle stuck on the mountaint, yada, yada, yada. You get what you give, ask nicely to have a look, and maybe if they want to get rid of it, and you will most likely get someone who will be nice to you.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
What Sailah said...

If I were to catch you with your head under a tarp at my place things would go south quickly, and you would be talking to the Sheriff about your trespass ticket, after I was finished...at the least.
Unless your land is posted that won't happen.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,351
I think you have an automatic "in" via your screen name. Just arrive in uniform, point to your badge of rank and claim dibsies on the sidecar set up. If he won't give you dibsies, ask if you can buy it.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote