Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #34861
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Wonder what kinda power the 250r is capable of with big bore kit exhaust and any and all mods available? I rode that bike today at full throttle and got it to 71.
Not much more power, but enough dollars that when added to the purchase price of the wr, would buy a bike that already does what you want.

Do you want to tinker or ride?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #34862
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
oh yea if its windy that will kill it around 70 is all i get to as well if its windy out and i live in ks we get wind all the time lol
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #34863
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thats a hoot. My choice is ride for sure, not tinker. Jusnt kinda looking around had KLX650 and a KLR650 just did not do the trick. Guess i will just have to buy one of every bike I think i might like and just try them so i will know for myself. I am thinking plating the wr450f might be a temp fix just have to haul it if planning on going very far on pavement.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #34864
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Thats a hoot. My choice is ride for sure, not tinker. Jusnt kinda looking around had KLX650 and a KLR650 just did not do the trick. Guess i will just have to buy one of every bike I think i might like and just try them so i will know for myself. I am thinking plating the wr450f might be a temp fix just have to haul it if planning on going very far on pavement.
I just listed half dozen bikes for you with similar weight and size as the wrr with twice the hp.

Why would you buy a motocross bike like the 450f? it has insane maintenance intervals.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #34865
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Thank you for the input. I appreciate all the suggestions you guys prob have more experience than i do anyway.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #34866
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
I do not remember the guys I was talking to about this yesterday but anyway. I went today and the yamaha dealer let me test ride a brand new wr250r. It is a very tall bike but for me and this is just my opinion it was woefully underpowered. I am a big guy at 6'5" 260 and i know that h as swomething to do with it . I dont know if guys are doing major power mods or what or how much more you can even got out of a 28hp bike. I cannot imagine riding that thing very far especially loaded with gear for a trip. Again just my opinion thats all the time i have on one is maybe 10 minutes.
I would agree that the WR does feel really down on power if you you do not ride it right. You have to be willing to rev the motor pretty high and it goes pretty well. It really takes some getting used to when switching between bikes.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #34867
Jonathan75
Adventurer

I agree and I think that may have been part of it. I have not been on a 250 in years and I rode my 800 down there and got on that 250. I dont think they would let me ride it again but I may try. It may just boil down to I am to big for that bike. I just really want one.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #34868
viper770
Studly Adventurer

took me about a week to get used to riding it you got to rev it up then it starts to shine
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #34869
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
It really takes some getting used to when switching between bikes.
This can be very, very true.
In the past six years, I went from an FZ6 to a 1200GS to an F800R to the WR250R.
Even after about 460 miles, I still feel like I'm on a toy - it's so light - and the power just isn't anything like what I'm used to but I love riding the WR because now I'm able to continue fulfilling the dream I started when I began motorcycling many years ago. Now, I can ride on the dirt so I've been roosting up miles of dirt roads and because it's so light and the power isn't anything like what I'm used to, it's just a total blast when I'm doing it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 1983 Yamaha XT250 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Red Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #34870
viper770
Studly Adventurer

i used to have a ducati 1098 and a tiger 800xc it fellt really weird for me when i started riding the wr but i love the cheap up keep on it verse my 800 dollar service bill i have to pay every time i took my duck in to get serviced

viper770 screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 06:45 PM
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #34871
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
Why would you buy a motocross bike like the 450f? it has insane maintenance intervals.
Not a MXer but very similar. They are very dependable though, not much different than the WRR. My son has 1 and I maintain it. The 250F's are low maintenance too. IMHO (wife and I have owned 5 of them)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #34872
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
New mirrors, had fold down ones and didn't care for them. Left the "normal" ones and did a comparison to see if it changed what I could see behind me and I can actually see more with these. Gonna take a bit of adjustment to get used to looking down instead of over to check the mirrors. No more folding mirrors once I leave the pavement. Haven't had chance to get them up to speed to see what the vibrations are compared to stock. I do know that on some bikes the mirrors can cause unstable air near your head, time will tell with these. So far worth the $20 on fleabay.

Just like mine. Been running them since 08. They work well.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #34873
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I was getting all excited about the WR250R as the Yamaha dealer here in Malaysia said they were going to start selling them here.

As it turns out he meant WR250F's with lights, and plated. I know they are completely different - the F is lighter, more powerful, doesn't have the electrical output or the 6th gear or strong subframe for hauling etc.

Anyone here have experience riding the F back to back with the R on the road?
I'm sure I'd prefer the F off road; my bike needs to do it all though - it's my daily comuter on surface streets, freeway, horrific 3rd world potted roads, jungle riding for fun on the weekends/days off etc.

Is the F significantly less road worthy?

The biggest downfall in my mind has been the reliability/longevity difference. I notice Yamaha's website is now touting the F as extremely dependable....
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #34874
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
There is a good WR250F thread here. Do a Google search.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #34875
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Is the F significantly less road worthy?

The biggest downfall in my mind has been the reliability/longevity difference. I notice Yamaha's website is now touting the F as extremely dependable....
I believe the main thing determining the long-term reliability with either bike will be the care and feeding (or lack of).
Neither bike will appreciate dirt inhaled through the air intake, or going 8 billion miles between oil changes.
I also do not believe a WR-250F needs constant valve clearance checks or adjustments unless you do something brilliant such as suck in dirt.
So, to me, reliability or fear of having to constantly work on the bike is not the real issue with the choice.

The WR-250R is a much better road bike mainly because it has a 6th gear and is geared much taller, so it can comfortably cruise at higher speeds out on open roads.
It also has a smoother-feeling engine (less vibration).

The WR-250F feels twice as capable off-road, but it's much shorter gearing is the main drawback for regular street riding.
Plus, when you get right down to it, using a bike that's better in the dirt for lots of street riding seems like a waste of all that off-road capability to me.
Been there.
Done that.
Next.

In my opinion after owning a WR-250R and two WR-250Fs, if your street riding is all lower-speed stuff (no open roads or highways where you want to cruise at 45mph or higher regularly), either bike would do.
If your daily riding is more slanted toward off-road use, get the WR-250F.
If you really ride more on the road at road bike speeds, and if you want a bike that feels 100% at home on practically any road, the WR-250R is better for it.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote