ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #31
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
You cannot upload routes to the Garmin 1300 series (1350 or 1390s) GPS. Even with basecamp, you cannot upload the routes. I have the 1390 lt and there is no place in it for it to except customized routes. Basecamp will recognize it as a device, but everything is grayed out when you try to upload to the device.
this unfortunately does make sense,in that the 1390t is not specced as "having" routes ,the 1450 does,as does worringly for me the 2455.The only difference that i can see on the garmin website is the 2455 has a trip planner and a trip log and my 2350 does not,but still "has" 100 routes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #32
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I think that you will be dissapointed with your 2350. I have that model and I couldn't import routes from Basecamp and Garmin support confirmed it.

The 2300 series do support multiple stop routing but will not display routes sent from Mapsource or Basecamp. Only way is to use the Trip Planner on the actual device and that's not simple.

I have given up with my Nuvi 2350 and I'm now contemplating what to do.

Could buy an old Nuvi 1450 as people say they can accept routes from Basecamp or go the iPhone way as I already own this phone. Some of the guys I ride with use their iPhones and then load an app and buy the topo maps.

I'm still learning so I will keep reading and see what people think.

I would love if anybody could tell me the pros and cons of each option. Ie; why do you feel the GPS is better than the iPhone solution.

Cheers
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

Oddometer: 56
I bought the 2455 and had the same issues trying to import routes. Garmin support were trying to help me through it but then suddenly backtracked and told me that Nuvis are not compatible with Mapsource/Basecamp, which apparently was news to him too. I sold it on eBay and bought a 1450 as I know others have been able to import routes to this particular model. My riding buddy uses an app on his phone and if I was doing it all again I think I would go the mobile phone route. With the nuvi you can only display your route but its very useful sometimes to have all the surrounding tracks displayed as well. He can do this on his phone app but i haven't been able to do it on the nuvi. If anyone has found a way to do this i would be very grateful to be corrected.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
I bought the 2455 and had the same issues trying to import routes. Garmin support were trying to help me through it but then suddenly backtracked and told me that Nuvis are not compatible with Mapsource/Basecamp, which apparently was news to him too. I sold it on eBay and bought a 1450 as I know others have been able to import routes to this particular model. My riding buddy uses an app on his phone and if I was doing it all again I think I would go the mobile phone route. With the nuvi you can only display your route but its very useful sometimes to have all the surrounding tracks displayed as well. He can do this on his phone app but i haven't been able to do it on the nuvi. If anyone has found a way to do this i would be very grateful to be corrected.
Hey mate, any chance you could find out a bit more info on the phone app?

If anyone is interested I have a 1450 and a 1490 as well as another newer model, might be interested in parting ways with a couple
KTM 625SXC - Adventure bike (project)
GPS and other items for sale
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Interesting what you said about your Nuvi 1450 not displaying anything other than your route. So if I understand you right all you can see on your Nuvi is the route that you have created. If there was a track paralell to your route you can't see it? Did I understand that right?

Do you have TOPO maps?
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #36
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

[QUOTE=Young-gun-640;21313620]Hey mate, any chance you could find out a bit more info on the phone app?

I've just asked him and here's his reply
"mainly I have used google maps on the phone as it all syncs automatically when I plan routes on my computer and I can use any computer to plan a route as long as I am logged in to google. the problem with that is I have to have internet access. the newer one I have started using for offline use is osmand on android phones. I do have to specifically download planned routes to my phone though, it isnt automatic and it does take 350Mb on my phone space, but doesnt require any internet at all.the one I use for tracing where we have been is just the basic garmin gps program."
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #37
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

yes the 23550 cant accept routes.I t does track logs which you can export back to basecamp/google earth and then google maps.That was one thing i wanted.I am now considering a zumo or a montana.I dont want a phone the size of a gps in my pocket and if i end up with a montana or zumo they are waterproof and i would think(but dont know) that they are a bit more robust.One thing i do know is that the 2350 wont even last long as my car gps,i want a 5 or even 7 in screen.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
re: phone apps, there are whole threads on that and probably worth exploring those. you won't want to rely on internet access, you'll need an app where you can upload the topo maps etc to your phone. i knew a guy who bought a gps app for $5 for his iphone and said it works brilliantly. just make sure your screen is bright enough to read in direct sun, that's what i like about the nuvis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
Interesting what you said about your Nuvi 1450 not displaying anything other than your route. So if I understand you right all you can see on your Nuvi is the route that you have created. If there was a track paralell to your route you can't see it? Did I understand that right?
yep, you can't get the nuvis to show tracks (e.g. tracks you have drawn in mapsource), only routes and your own track log. at least with topo maps or shonky maps they usually have a lot of the tracks that criss cross state forests etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
One thing i do know is that the 2350 wont even last long as my car gps,i want a 5 or even 7 in screen.
never had issues with three 1450 and 1490 nuvis, and they've been on mx tracks, dirt rides, adv rides, wet weather etc. but be worth googling around to see if anyone has vibrated them to bits before...$150 at dick smiths at the moment in australia.

B1 screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 02:08 PM
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #39
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
re: phone apps, there are whole threads on that and probably worth exploring those. you won't want to rely on internet access, you'll need an app where you can upload the topo maps etc to your phone. i knew a guy who bought a gps app for $5 for his iphone and said it works brilliantly. just make sure your screen is bright enough to read in direct sun, that's what i like about the nuvis...

yep, you can't get the nuvis to show tracks (e.g. tracks you have drawn in mapsource), only routes and your own track log. at least with topo maps or shonky maps they usually have a lot of the tracks that criss cross state forests etc.

never had issues with three 1450 and 1490 nuvis, and they've been on mx tracks, dirt rides, adv rides, wet weather etc. but be worth googling around to see if anyone has vibrated them to bits before...$150 at dick smiths at the moment in australia.
i dont mean they wont last in them selves i mean i dont like the little 4.3 in screen!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #40
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

once you've got the route loaded into the Nuvi does anyone know if its possible to get rid of the big flags (or replace them with something smaller) and also the 'approaching' message that appears before every way point?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
once you've got the route loaded into the Nuvi does anyone know if its possible to get rid of the big flags (or replace them with something smaller) and also the 'approaching' message that appears before every way point?
no, which is a bugger. it would be great to have an adv riding IT geek who could crack the gps and provide firmware to fix some of these things.

i get rid of the approaching message by using direct routing and doing the route in reverse (just click on "inverse" under properties in mapsource).
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #42
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

i gave garmin a prod about their advertising...saying i wanted to use "routes" and they advertise their receivers to have the ability to use routes.I asked why i couldnt find a routes on my 2350,This was their answer

"Question: Why can’t I find the route I sent from MapSource or BaseCamp on my nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 300, 600, 1100, 1200, 1300, 2200, 2300, or 3700 series device?

Answer:

The nuvi 30, 40, 50, 200, 205, 300, 600, 1100, 1200, or 1300 series do not support multiple stop routing. Although MapSource or BaseCamp will indicate that a route has been sent to the device successfully, these devices are unable to read the file since they do not support that feature. MapSource and BaseCamp can still be used to transfer maps and waypoints to the devices.

Although the nuvi 2200 and 2300 series do support multiple stop routing, they will not display routes sent from MapSource or BaseCamp. These devices use Trip Planner and do not currently have a way to import the transferred routes into Trip Planner.

The nuvi 3700 series will support multiple stop routing from MapSource or BaseCamp providing the device has software version 4.50 or newer. For information on how to update the unit's software, visit https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={8576ba20-e948-11dc-d6fc-000000000000}
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #43
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
Garmin cord/adapter

Did I understand it correctly when I read earlier that using a cord other than Garmin's will harm the unit or make it go in to mass storage? Is that in regards to use in general, or rather just when uploading maps, etc.? The reason this caught my attention is that I just received one of the Nuvi 2555s from my brother-in-law that was originally given to him by someone else. He didn't ever have a mount, or a Garmin power cord. He never used it much, and when he did, he just used a generic cigarette adapter. It seems to work with it fine, so far. But, I haven't tried to load a map yet either.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
Did I understand it correctly when I read earlier that using a cord other than Garmin's will harm the unit or make it go in to mass storage? Is that in regards to use in general, or rather just when uploading maps, etc.? The reason this caught my attention is that I just received one of the Nuvi 2555s from my brother-in-law that was originally given to him by someone else. He didn't ever have a mount, or a Garmin power cord. He never used it much, and when he did, he just used a generic cigarette adapter. It seems to work with it fine, so far. But, I haven't tried to load a map yet either.
the garmin cord has a little diode or something or other that stops the gps going into mass storage mode. problem is if you need a replacement chord, garmin charge ridiculous amounts and it's cheaper to just go on ebay and get a garmin-compliant power cord (with the necessary inbuilt diode thingy) on ebay for around $15.

any generic cord will make it go into mass storage mode but far as i know cant hurt the gps. strange that the nuvi 2555 seems to be an exception?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #45
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
the garmin cord has a little diode or something or other that stops the gps going into mass storage mode. problem is if you need a replacement chord, garmin charge ridiculous amounts and it's cheaper to just go on ebay and get a garmin-compliant power cord (with the necessary inbuilt diode thingy) on ebay for around $15.

any generic cord will make it go into mass storage mode but far as i know cant hurt the gps. strange that the nuvi 2555 seems to be an exception?
I tried the unit out the other day in the car as I did a few errans around town. It was powered up for at least an hour or so with a run-of-the-mill cigarette adapter that I had that happen to fit the plug on back. I fooled around with it a lil while my daughter was at guitar lessons and all the features seemed to work. However, like I said, I haven't tried loading any data onto it yet, though I do have a USB cord that will fit. I might get daring later and try it.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote