Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #6331
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.
Pic of the bike loaded up.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....
Thanks for the great report lobolator!! Now think of how boring your report would have been if you had taken the car!! On a bike it's always an adventure.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #6332
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Good job Lobolator,I always laugh when people say you gotta have a big bike,it ain't true,heck people even think my KLR650 is to small,then I ask um"so where do you go on that big bike of yours?and why does it have a battery tender attached to it?"just my observations,to many miles on a Ninja250 I guess.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #6333
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....
Good for you! Just pack it up and go. I ride all year round and rode PA to FL for bike week last month, on a scooter. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876281

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #6334
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Yeah, I got a lot of bug eyed looks when they realized where I was from and what I was on. Even had a HD rider crap his pants, once he realized what I was doing.
The only advantage to a bigger bike would have been a little more grunt at 70mph and more weight against the wind.
My ass would still be sore, same with the shoulder.
Lots of good gas station conversations were had 1) because of the little bike, 2) because it had a NH plate way down south, and 3) because it was a motorcycle out and about in April, like a crazy person. I didn't tell them I had just ridden all winter on studded tires in the Arctic like NH.
As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #6335
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Yeah, I got a lot of bug eyed looks when they realized where I was from and what I was on. Even had a HD rider crap his pants, once he realized what I was doing.
The only advantage to a bigger bike would have been a little more grunt at 70mph and more weight against the wind.
My ass would still be sore, same with the shoulder.
Lots of good gas station conversations were had 1) because of the little bike, 2) because it had a NH plate way down south, and 3) because it was a motorcycle out and about in April, like a crazy person. I didn't tell them I had just ridden all winter on studded tires in the Arctic like NH.
As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
Sounds like a great trip! I high sided a CL450 just off the Kanc, on that left just opposite the old ski jump place. Went in too fast, just before the covered bridge (Dougway?). Last thing I saw were sparks coming off the left foot peg, which forced the rear tire off the ground. Then, when the tire made contact again, it was like a sling shot. Live and learn, I've slowed down a lot now. We all get strange looks from folks when riding a 250, had a kid in the passenger's seat in a cage look at me on mine, on the interstate, his eyes were like saucers.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #6336
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
So true. So true. And many of the people who want to talk either own a bike or used to own one. They get it. Some of them want to be doing what you're doing right then at that very moment! What I find funny too is that you can be parked in a field of cars. If one other motorcyclist joins the group - you are suddenly his best friend. They will walk up to you and chat with you first. There is an instant connection there simply because you are riding a bike also.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #6337
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 233
Laugh

That is awsome. I am fairly new to the motorcycle world. About a year and a half and half of that time was on a 150cc scooter so I couldn't leave town. Partly cus it wouldn't go past 55 and partly cus I didn't trust it. But since I got my tu250 in sep I put 8000 miles on it mostly to work. Living in az I can ride all winter long with no problem. I make 200 mile trips through the mountains once in a while but have never left the state. Everyone keeps telling me I need a bigger bike which I know is not true. This is very inspiring to see some one make a trip like that on a 250. I guess the only thing I really need is storage compartments on the bike so I can make it happen. I have always liked those klxs but was under the impression they didn't do well on the street. what mpg did you get with wind and high speeds?

Rhompin45 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 02:12 PM
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #6338
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, ....
Simple, but effective throttle lock is a 175 cable tie (zip tie) placed around the grip, snugged up and shortened so it rests against the brake lever. Rotate it forward against the brake at your desired speed; snug it up if it doesnt hold; use a small pointed knife to release the catch if you get too tight or want to remove it for off road. Rotating the throttle off releases it.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #6339
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Simple, but effective throttle lock is a 175 cable tie (zip tie) placed around the grip, snugged up and shortened so it rests against the brake lever. Rotate it forward against the brake at your desired speed; snug it up if it doesnt hold; use a small pointed knife to release the catch if you get too tight or want to remove it for off road. Rotating the throttle off releases it.
I'm gonna try that,great idea
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #6340
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Worst mileage due to WOT into the wind was about 55mpg. Average was about 62mpg on the highway.
At home around town I get 65-70mpg.
The KLX on the highway is definitely stretching it's legs all the way. But it will do an actual 80mph(the speedo said 94 once , but it lies) if you get a good draft to help it get up there, not that I recommend drafting.
If you want to pass, better plan way ahead.
Love the KLX, 16000 miles in 13 months. No problems except bad gas clogging my jets. On road or off it just keeps on going, a couple of times without me.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #6341
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
The rest area you stopped at was it the welcome to nc one ? If so I could have recommended a quieter place near by
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #6342
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

It was the NC welcome center.

The picnic table did have a roof, which at the time seemed good enough, and it was free. I was so close to falling asleep on the bike it didn't matter and I had earplugs, but do tell. I will be doing a repeat in September.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #6343
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Worst mileage due to WOT into the wind was about 55mpg. Average was about 62mpg on the highway.
At home around town I get 65-70mpg.
The KLX on the highway is definitely stretching it's legs all the way. But it will do an actual 80mph(the speedo said 94 once , but it lies) if you get a good draft to help it get up there, not that I recommend drafting.
If you want to pass, better plan way ahead.
Love the KLX, 16000 miles in 13 months. No problems except bad gas clogging my jets. On road or off it just keeps on going, a couple of times without me.
Your report is quite inspirational!

I also have a '12 and I want to travel a bit on it, but haven't yet. I did pick up an IMS 3 gal tank last week(not installed yet). I have had a windscreen on it since day one, I'm older now and can't stand the direct blast anymore. I would like to pick up some side bags, yours look like a good fit. Do you have some kind of bag support under those? or are they just resting on your plastics? Have you done any sprocket changes? And lastly, did you have any oil usage on the trip? Alot of thumpers at those kinds of speed MAY use a little oil(Yep, I'm an ex-KLR owner).

Again, nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Mine last summer...
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #6344
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

I too had a windscreen but much smaller, I stole the one off my old EX-500, literally tied it on as a test, it worked so I just left it. It was just enough to get the blast off the chest and over the shoulders.
I didn't have anything under the bags and melted the right side a bit because of it, despite loading that side much lighter. PM Racks has a real nice side rack that will fix that problem, can't wait to get one.
I ran stock gearing for the trip. I have gone to lower gearing for off-road but higher wouldn't work IMO because a good head wind can force a downshift on stock gearing, higher would be even worse. Maybe it'd work if you get a 351 kit, IDK.
And yes there is a teaspoon of oil in my catch bottle, must have vaporized some at high rpm, gone up the crankcase breather tube into the air box, but otherwise no detectable usage.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #6345
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 233
Ok that's comparable mpg to my tu250 I ride 50 miles round trip a day for work mostly highway indicated 75 not sure how much gauge is off my guess is prob close to 10%. I get around 63 mpg worst was 56 best 70 I'm sure it would get better around town but I have never ridden a full tank not going on highway. And unfortunately there's not really roads here that are less than 65 mph. I'm just trying to get an idea how it compares to other 250s. Lots of mountains here if I go out side of the valley but I does good on them I go up one that's about 1400 ft difference in about 10 miles it holds 4th gear at indicated 70 mph just fine. But I have still always loved the enduro look. I just don't know if I would ever take it off road.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote