Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #121
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 807
Got the boat out of storage today and started the "sprucing up" process. It was a hot, humid, windy day in the Tropical Tip. Late this afternoon, I got a call from our local boat-stuff store, letting me know the bottom paint I ordered was in. I told my wife, "I'm going to take the scooter to get the paint."

She decided to come along. I told her the wind was gusting (the weather weasels were saying gusts to 40 mph), and she might want to sit this one out. Nope.

It was gusty, alright. Hot and humid, too. It wasn't much, but I knew this was going to be my only "scooter content" for the day. We swung by Wally World for some painting supplies and wax; then to the boat-stuff store for the paint. The under-the-seat storage swallowed it all up.

One of us, and I'm not mentioning her name, was less than enthralled with the gusty conditions, and occasional blowing dirt. Hey, it isn't all ice cream stops and lunch out... I was a sweat-ball after scrubbing down the boat. But, the scooter break felt good.

We live in a gated area; you have to pass by a guard shack on the way in. Owners' vehicles have a decal on them... normally, the guard on duty gives you a wave as you drive through (yes, we have the decals on the PCX windshields). This afternoon, the female security person waved enthusiastically, gave us a big broad smile, and said, "Those look like fun!"

"Yep, they sure are!"
Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #122
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

I had a plan: wax part of the boat, then go for a scooter ride. Temps pushing into the 90s, then a frontal passage... so much for that plan.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04/so-i-had-plan.html
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #123
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Bike Bling!

The Honda is a really neat little scooter, but it is lacking one piece of instrumentation... no, not the GPS or satellite radio... there's no clock. I ordered a couple clocks made for motorcycles...

That's it on the center section of the handlebar. Seiko workings, made to fit on a motorcycle or scooter (or your bicycle). The clocks came from a place called Clocks4Bikes. That IS their business. When I called to order them, I spoke with Linda (husband and wife team) - she was an absolute delight, and assured me that the clock would be a perfect fit on our PCX handlebars. I ordered on Tuesday, and received them this afternoon. The clocks come with an allen wrench and a spare watch battery. Great service, a quality product, and a very nice hand-written notecard from Linda. Big companies could learn from these folks!

Here's a link to their website, if you'd like to check them out...

www.clocks4bikes.com/

No affiliation, no connection, yadda, yadda. I like the personal service you get from small businesses. And I especially like a business that makes quality stuff AND gives good support.

-----------------------

From today's blog...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04/cooler.html
Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #124
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Beach 'n Bikers, and Bottom...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...-n-bottom.html

After getting my work done, I took the scooter to South Padre Island. My neighbor told me, "... there are motorcycles everywhere!" We obviously have different perspectives.

Captain Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #125
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Island scootering...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...-scooters.html

Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #126
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
No fair Captn, your gloves match the scoot.

BTW, where do you stand with a bike or bikes going to WA? I know earlier in your blog you thought only one might make it. Ship those suckers! I get to Port Angeles every couple years, and have ridden alot of that area. The P Sound area is just a great biking area.

Wonderful blog and fun to follow along.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #127
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Hi Sam,

Looks like the scoots are going to sit this one out... It comes down to space, and boat gear takes priority this time around. We considered just taking one, but the locking storage we have with a solid fiberglass tonneau cover on the truck bed is something I'm not ready to give up.

Shipping could work, but we'd have the same hassle and expense at the end of the season, and we don't generally take a straight line on return trips.

I wrestled with this... taking the scoots could be great up there. We took kayaks last summer and only found the time to use them twice. That working stuff gets in the way of playtime.

The time away won't put a damper on my newfound scooter interest... I'll be reading here and counting on posts from ADV scooter folks to keep the content up. And I'll repay the favor by blasting around in the fall and winter.

Thanks to all for making me feel at home around here.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #128
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

A little "scooter escape" in the middle of a day of boat work...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04/b-o-t.html

Best wishes,
Jim

------------

On edit: When we were out and about for lunch today, I saw 4 people out on scooters. During the Beach 'n Biker Fest this past weekend, I saw one (besides the 5 guys on Ruckus choppers). I'm trying to think back... were those scooter folks always out there and I just didn't notice, or did all the motorcycles over the weekend bring 'em out today? I dunno... glad to be one of those who was out scootin'.

CaptnJim screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 06:29 PM
CaptnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #129
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Hauled the boat/trailer to "the big city" to get new tires on the trailer and balance and rotate on the truck. The "ready to go" list is getting shorter.

Plenty to do around the house, but we took the scooters out for a late lunch break. The wind was blowing like stink (technical meteorological term), with gusts above 35. The scoots handled it fine, but we weren't out on the highway.

Gotta get the riding in while I can.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...new-shoes.html

Captain Jim
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #130
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
bothell, kirkland and woodinville (wa) were filthy with scooterkind today! i saw more vespae and helixii than i could wave at!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #131
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
bothell, kirkland and woodinville (wa) were filthy with scooterkind today! i saw more vespae and helixii than i could wave at!
Just trying to make me rethink leaving the scooters behind, aren't ya?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #132
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

A whole day with no scooter content? Yep. A late season norther blew in yesterday, dropped the temps, wind out of the north, and horizontal drizzle... I can see I am becoming candy-ass in my old age - no desire to be out on two wheels in that stuff.

Less than a week before we head out, so work is going to take precedence over scootering. More prep stuff and loading. When we were young, we'd strap a tent and a couple sleeping bags on motorcycles; put some clothes in the saddle bags, and head out. These days, it is like moving a household when going from 5th wheel to house to boat. We "simplified" when we retired... I think we're due for another round of that after this season.

Some way of getting the scooters along with us is going to be necessary... easy enough with a cargo trailer behind the 5th wheel...

Next time.

Back to work, now.

Jim
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #133
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Two days with no scootering?? Come on, Mother Nature, I'm running out of time here!~

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04/more-of-same.html

The view down our canal...

Looks like it should be cold, but it's just drizzly and foggy. No wind. It just means more work over the next few days... which probably means less of a chance of running those fun scoots around. We'll see.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #134
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

No rain or drizzle today, but plenty of work to get done as we get ready to head out with the boat. A warm day in the Tropical Tip... hazy sun after a couple days of drizzle, temps into the 80s, and not much wind made it humid... as in: no point in drying off when you get out of the shower...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2013/04...izzle-but.html

On the bright side, we got out on the scooters for a short lunch break, and all the stuff we moved out of the cargo trailer means there is lots of room for the scoots...

And a trip to the Post Office...

Nope, nothing about the scooter time could be considered "adventure," but it sure felt great to be in the breeze.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #135
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Stepping up the pace...

A sad time for our family: a sister-in-law passed away unexpectedly; the wife of my wife's youngest brother. Only 49 years old.

We need to go be with family, so our departure is moved up, and our time with the scooters cut short.

Not to sound "preachy" - none of us knows how much time we get. Live each day like it might be your last. It seems to me that people who ride motorcycles and scooters tend to be the types who know how to enjoy life. I am grateful for the welcoming attitude here and truly appreciate the exchange of ideas.

We will be spending the summer in a spectacular place, living on our boat. Since the scoots won't be making the trip with us, I'll be counting on the inmates here to keep the scooter content up. I'll be reading and cheering for you.

Sincere thanks and best wishes,
Captain Jim