ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #4426
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 368
Emperor Racing skidplate vs B&B Skidplate

I just installed the Emperor Racing skidplate and I much prefer it over the B&B skidplate (I put a B&B on the CRF250L we have at work). Nothing terribly wrong with the B&B, but the Emperor is a much better fit compared to the B&B. Plus, the Emperor has multiple drain vents in the back and some vents/holes on the sides that will help reduce weight and assist in blasting out mud/debris that get in. While the B&B relies on the existing tabs to mount the front bolts, the Emperor has a tricked out alloy bar that slides between the frame and bolts on with three screws, not two like the B&B. You won't go wrong with either, but the Emperor is a much better looking and functional design. I will be weighing both, but I believe the Emperor is lighter, while still being tough enough to take the hits. Next step? Install the Emperor Racing Rad guard.....we already have that on the work bike and it is very solid--highly recommended.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #4427
Copperhead88
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 16
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #4428
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: East Missouri
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?
The stupid ass throttle tube extends out and over the end of the bar. I just dremmeled it off and did not have issues.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
More stuff will clutter your life and make you poor. More adventure will richen your existence. Make do and make tracks.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #4429
ausspo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denman, Australia
Oddometer: 19
Emperor Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
I just installed the Emperor Racing skidplate and I much prefer it over the B&B skidplate (I put a B&B on the CRF250L we have at work). Nothing terribly wrong with the B&B, but the Emperor is a much better fit compared to the B&B. Plus, the Emperor has multiple drain vents in the back and some vents/holes on the sides that will help reduce weight and assist in blasting out mud/debris that get in. While the B&B relies on the existing tabs to mount the front bolts, the Emperor has a tricked out alloy bar that slides between the frame and bolts on with three screws, not two like the B&B. You won't go wrong with either, but the Emperor is a much better looking and functional design. I will be weighing both, but I believe the Emperor is lighter, while still being tough enough to take the hits. Next step? Install the Emperor Racing Rad guard.....we already have that on the work bike and it is very solid--highly recommended.
How much are the Emperor skid plates and rad guards?
Did you get them from a dealer in NZ?
What do you think of their luggage rack?
Thanks in advance
__________________
ONE BEFORE ELEVEN, ELEVEN BEFORE ONE
ausspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #4430
cat
Beastly Adventurer
 
cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Durban, South Africa.
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
CAT: WD40 is not a good "cleaner" for brake rotors and pads. It leaves an oily residue. You want to use a cleaner that is specified for brakes...it removes ALL oil.
no, yes, :> i meant i'd cleaned the spokes with WD-40 and had it on my hands, and the cloth trailing around, so i needed to clean the disc anyway. - with alcohol.
__________________

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #4431
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 397
Hay, Oldtimer, glad to see you made it over here, I'm with you on how you ride your bike and just adding the needed accessories that make the bike setup for both off road and highway riding for us older guy's. I'd do the TAT and never give it a second thought about riding this bike. Good Luck on your rides.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #4432
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Longview, TX
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
Thank you !!!

I have never once thought about "looks" but it has came together very well.

What I have done to this bike really is specific to my particular needs and wants.
As it should be!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #4433
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gnath9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Omaha, Ne
Oddometer: 262
I am getting to be an Old Timer myself .... turn 51 next month
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #4434
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausspo View Post
How much are the Emperor skid plates and rad guards?
Did you get them from a dealer in NZ?
What do you think of their luggage rack?
Thanks in advance
Yes, got them from "OffRoad Imports" here in NZ. The radiator guard ended up costing $140 all up. I need to check on the bash plate but from memory the price was nearly identical to the B&B one (including shipping). I've got a Smith luggage rack (I think it's a NZ make?) and it is really good, haven't seen the Emperor luggage rack.....
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #4435
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?


Take a look at this thread, I documented what it takes to do what you're asking:

The Honda CRF250L Adventure Traveler Thread


good luck!
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #4436
Copperhead88
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 16
Thanks lost. I read down through to the part where you did the valve adjustment but I think my issue is a little different. As you guys will learn, I am extremely mechanically handicapped and completely lack all common sense in relation the subject.

That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?

Next, Im either really dense or I also ordered the wrong inserts for the bars. I dremmeled out the end of my throttle to the diameter of my bars, put the mounts in the bars, tightened them down and they just fall out. Do you think I just need to order larger insert things or should I just sell these guards and start over considering the arent full wraps?
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #4437
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,583
LOST RIDER...RE: Multiple Master Links. I wouldn't worry about multiple masterlinks if installed properly. Most of the new clip style masterlinks almost need a press to get the side plate on. After the clip is on properly, put a very slight bit of press...but in the opposite direction to PINCH the clip tight in it's groove. Then add a bit of 0.025" SS safety wire around the narrow part of the side plate and the clip. It won't come loose any time soon!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #4438
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Thanks lost. I read down through to the part where you did the valve adjustment but I think my issue is a little different. As you guys will learn, I am extremely mechanically handicapped and completely lack all common sense in relation the subject.

That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?

Next, Im either really dense or I also ordered the wrong inserts for the bars. I dremmeled out the end of my throttle to the diameter of my bars, put the mounts in the bars, tightened them down and they just fall out. Do you think I just need to order larger insert things or should I just sell these guards and start over considering the arent full wraps?
Fair enough.

I would say ditch those half guards and get some full coverage ones as they aren't going to last very long if you drop your bike much and probably wont protect your levers.

did you cut the throttle tube off like what's in the photos in my thread or just cut a hole on the end? hard to tell by your description.

If spending a little more money isn't an issue you could get Highway dirt bike guards, with new bars with threaded inserts already installed, chances are you'll never bend those guards or bars. The OEM bars are pretty soft and do bend easily and with the bars bending you can break mounts on typical guards like probend. BTDT.
I know folks like to recommend what they have, I've learned that more often than not it's cheaper in the long run to get the good stuff from the beginning instead of working your way up to getting it after breaking less strong things.
Bars and hand guards take the most beating on a DS bike IMO and if there'a a weak point it will break if you're dropping the bike or crashing very often. Now if you're not going to be doing much off tarmac riding then maybe investing in strong stuff isn't needed.

good luck
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #4439
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?
My wife has those guards on her XT225 and they really don't do much to protect your levers. They do protect your hands from small branches, but that's about it. She's already bent up a clutch lever when she dropped it and the guard just bent out of the way.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #4440
Copperhead88
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 16
Thanks guys, I guess I wont bother mounting them then. They are for sale if anyone wants them, if not Ill take them over to an ATV forum maybe.

I did not cut the end off of the throttle I just more or less drilled out the end cap to the same diameter as the ID of my bars. Im pretty sure they are the wrong size inserts
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015