Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #4426
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
lol ..... me too

and it's a shame because it was a Great Thread

here is a link to my all but finished CRF250L ... I still want a Scotts Damper mounted under the bars

oh and by the way .... I built it for OHV parks and MX style riding.
I watched your video and you have put a lot of time and thought, not to mention money, in your bike. Looking good. Now if you'd hurry up and get the Scott Damper, I'd like to hear how you like it.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #4427
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Real View Post
I just went over 250 miles I took her off road and found some neat trails, crossed a freeway bridge (one exit). Personally I don't see any need at this point adding any mods. Im more then content with the stock power, hitting 65 mph in short spurts and cruising along with my stock DOT tires

If anything I might want to add a better skid plate and maybe a windshield after the summer months. Not so sure about the windshield yet but it seems it would be better for longer rides in the colder parts of the year.

For now I'm just enjoying my stock DS, cruising around 45 mph and starting to explore the areas around.
I'm with you. The stock power with a 13 tooth sprocket seems quite adequate to me also. I've thought about a different exhaust system and the reduced weight would be great but I like the quietness of the bike. I rode a buddies bike with the FMF system and controller and it didn't excite me enough with the extra power (?) to wish I had it. He did have a windshield from CRF'sOnly that I really liked and immediately ordered it. I've read every post and I have got a wealth of info that I digest and either retain or disregard. When someone posts a question that I think is really silly, I think back when I first got into riding around 1950 and imagine I'd probably post something similar. But when Lost Rider for instance posts a photo of Nancy's smashed radiator, I realize that a radiator guard is a good investment. As is a skid plate, folding gear shift, better handlebars, a different seat and after much thought and over 1000 miles, a lowering link. All those things I have decided on from reading this board and it's been quite helpful. Now I have to decide on new tires as I have a 2000 mile TAT ride leaving from Longview,TX and riding to the start in Jellico, TN. then continuing through MS and AR and I like to start long rides with fresh tires. I like the 606 and also the TKC 80 but they don't come in stock size so I'm contemplating the Michelin T63 which has good reviews. I'm already challenged for inseam so I don't want to raise the bike anymore if I don't have to. I really enjoy this board and appreciate all the vast amount of information it provides.

Oldtimer screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:03 PM
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #4428
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I watched your video and you have put a lot of time and thought, not to mention money, in your bike. Looking good. Now if you'd hurry up and get the Scott Damper, I'd like to hear how you like it.
Thank you !!!

I have never once thought about "looks" but it has came together very well.
I think I have the Damper figured out ... now it's just a matter of buying the parts and having a fabricator install it.
The video you saw was just something quick and targeted towards the folks that have followed what I have been doing and I really did not mention a lot of stuff that has also been done that they all know about.
What I have done to this bike really is specific to my particular needs and wants. The damper is more of a safety issue than anything else. But, just like the suspension ... I am sure there are many more benefits that I have yet to realize.

Hopefully the park is open tomorrow !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #4429
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Emperor Racing skidplate vs B&B Skidplate

I just installed the Emperor Racing skidplate and I much prefer it over the B&B skidplate (I put a B&B on the CRF250L we have at work). Nothing terribly wrong with the B&B, but the Emperor is a much better fit compared to the B&B. Plus, the Emperor has multiple drain vents in the back and some vents/holes on the sides that will help reduce weight and assist in blasting out mud/debris that get in. While the B&B relies on the existing tabs to mount the front bolts, the Emperor has a tricked out alloy bar that slides between the frame and bolts on with three screws, not two like the B&B. You won't go wrong with either, but the Emperor is a much better looking and functional design. I will be weighing both, but I believe the Emperor is lighter, while still being tough enough to take the hits. Next step? Install the Emperor Racing Rad guard.....we already have that on the work bike and it is very solid--highly recommended.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #4430
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #4431
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?
The stupid ass throttle tube extends out and over the end of the bar. I just dremmeled it off and did not have issues.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #4432
ausspo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Emperor Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
I just installed the Emperor Racing skidplate and I much prefer it over the B&B skidplate (I put a B&B on the CRF250L we have at work). Nothing terribly wrong with the B&B, but the Emperor is a much better fit compared to the B&B. Plus, the Emperor has multiple drain vents in the back and some vents/holes on the sides that will help reduce weight and assist in blasting out mud/debris that get in. While the B&B relies on the existing tabs to mount the front bolts, the Emperor has a tricked out alloy bar that slides between the frame and bolts on with three screws, not two like the B&B. You won't go wrong with either, but the Emperor is a much better looking and functional design. I will be weighing both, but I believe the Emperor is lighter, while still being tough enough to take the hits. Next step? Install the Emperor Racing Rad guard.....we already have that on the work bike and it is very solid--highly recommended.
How much are the Emperor skid plates and rad guards?
Did you get them from a dealer in NZ?
What do you think of their luggage rack?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #4433
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
CAT: WD40 is not a good "cleaner" for brake rotors and pads. It leaves an oily residue. You want to use a cleaner that is specified for brakes...it removes ALL oil.
no, yes, :> i meant i'd cleaned the spokes with WD-40 and had it on my hands, and the cloth trailing around, so i needed to clean the disc anyway. - with alcohol.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #4434
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Hay, Oldtimer, glad to see you made it over here, I'm with you on how you ride your bike and just adding the needed accessories that make the bike setup for both off road and highway riding for us older guy's. I'd do the TAT and never give it a second thought about riding this bike. Good Luck on your rides.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #4435
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
Thank you !!!

I have never once thought about "looks" but it has came together very well.

What I have done to this bike really is specific to my particular needs and wants.
As it should be!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #4436
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I am getting to be an Old Timer myself .... turn 51 next month
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #4437
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausspo View Post
How much are the Emperor skid plates and rad guards?
Did you get them from a dealer in NZ?
What do you think of their luggage rack?
Thanks in advance
Yes, got them from "OffRoad Imports" here in NZ. The radiator guard ended up costing $140 all up. I need to check on the bash plate but from memory the price was nearly identical to the B&B one (including shipping). I've got a Smith luggage rack (I think it's a NZ make?) and it is really good, haven't seen the Emperor luggage rack.....
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #4438
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post

Take a look at this thread, I documented what it takes to do what you're asking:

The Honda CRF250L Adventure Traveler Thread

good luck!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #4439
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks lost. I read down through to the part where you did the valve adjustment but I think my issue is a little different. As you guys will learn, I am extremely mechanically handicapped and completely lack all common sense in relation the subject.

That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?

Next, Im either really dense or I also ordered the wrong inserts for the bars. I dremmeled out the end of my throttle to the diameter of my bars, put the mounts in the bars, tightened them down and they just fall out. Do you think I just need to order larger insert things or should I just sell these guards and start over considering the arent full wraps?
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #4440
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
LOST RIDER...RE: Multiple Master Links. I wouldn't worry about multiple masterlinks if installed properly. Most of the new clip style masterlinks almost need a press to get the side plate on. After the clip is on properly, put a very slight bit of press...but in the opposite direction to PINCH the clip tight in it's groove. Then add a bit of 0.025" SS safety wire around the narrow part of the side plate and the clip. It won't come loose any time soon!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote