Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #586
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I'm geting a bit tired of the "quirks" of my '10 K1300S and am considering trading the K-bike in on a '13 R1200R. I use the K-bike primarily as a commuter and it just does not seem hold up well to crappy weather and stop-n-go traffic.

1) Has anybody made a similar switch and regretted it?

2) Will the BMW sport panniers that I have for the K-bike work on the R1200R?

Thanks,
Mike
I went from a GS, RT, and an F800ST to the R and am very happy. So easy to get around town. Also, have ridden a few rides exceeding 200 miles and very comfortable. Of course not as much protection from the elements, but that's what I wanted.

Yes on the cases (edit - but no for the sport cases), but you might need the side rails added as an option. Not very $$.

Weird Bug screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 04:36 AM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #587
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Will the BMW sport panniers that I have for the K-bike work on the R1200R?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
Yes on the cases, but you might need the side rails added as an option. Not very $$.
Actually, I don't think they will - if they're the sport cases (reference), I believe they use a different mounting setup. The K1200/1300S bikes use those weird expandable sport cases, while the GT uses the same hard bags as on the R/RTs.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #588
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Yep, I've got the "weird" expanable side cases on my K1300S. The dealer says they won't work on the the R1200R. But I don't want the big cases that BMW sells for the R1200R, so I'll have to take a look at aftermarket cases.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #589
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Yep, I've got the "weird" expanable side cases on my K1300S. The dealer says they won't work on the the R1200R. But I don't want the big cases that BMW sells for the R1200R, so I'll have to take a look at aftermarket cases.
Didn't mean to offend. I've just always thought those were sorta funky.

There are a bunch of different ways to go - Givi, Touratech, etc... or if you are just worried about width, put the City Lids on the stock cases.

If you are just worried about width, though - split lanes all day long here in CA even with the big stock cases, no problems. They're no wider than the bars.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #590
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 434
Currently riding a GS and have an opportunity to get a R12R so here's a couple questions:

1. Has anyone put dual sport tires on the R12R?

2. Does the GS have the same size wheels as the R12R?

3. How complicated would it be to put a R12R headlight on a GS / has this been done?

Thanks guys
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #591
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
Didn't mean to offend. I've just always thought those were sorta funky.

There are a bunch of different ways to go - Givi, Touratech, etc... or if you are just worried about width, put the City Lids on the stock cases.

If you are just worried about width, though - split lanes all day long here in CA even with the big stock cases, no problems. They're no wider than the bars.
No offense taken. I spent $800 on those funky cases and I know I won't get anything near that if I trade them in with the bike.

But it gets me thinking. I recently bought an R1150R Rockster that came with BMW side cases. If those cases will work on a new R1200R, then maybe I can just stick with swaping the big cases between the R's as the need arises.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #592
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
Currently riding a GS and have an opportunity to get a R12R so here's a couple questions:
Why not, I'd say maybe Trail Attacks would be perfect!

No, R12R has 17" front and rear.

3. How complicated would it be to put a R12R headlight on a GS / has this been done?
...mmmm...show us how. It would be a helluva Google search....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #593
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post

Thanks guys
I run Pirelli Scorpion Trails on by 07 R-R. They work great, all the way to the edge on pavement and they handle dirt roads well. The slightly stiffer sidewall is a bonus.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #594
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
No offense taken. I spent $800 on those funky cases and I know I won't get anything near that if I trade them in with the bike.

But it gets me thinking. I recently bought an R1150R Rockster that came with BMW side cases. If those cases will work on a new R1200R, then maybe I can just stick with swaping the big cases between the R's as the need arises.
Unfortunately, they won't. Also a different mounting setup.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #595
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Sorry, I read right past the "sport" and went simply to "cases." Correct, they won't fit.

The BMW side cases that you reference (too big) are nice for touring and are so easy to take off I like 'em. Ride 90% without, but when I need them they are great (I just don't look at the back of the bike too much).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #596
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Yep, they are real floating rotors. Suppose to do that...
Thanks Rapid.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #597
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,051
2004 R1150R ABS in FL

Sadly, just posted my 1150 for sale: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21252588

www.earplugco.com

Bobmws screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:25 PM
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #598
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
Just thought I'd jump in with the windscreen discussion. My 04 came with a MRA Vario screen from twisted throttle. I was just recently able to read the name on the shield, and see found out they're made in Germany, and sold here by twisted throttle (No association) It's a small two piece, adjustable unit, and has a wind channel between the two pieces that shoots air up over my head. (I'm only 5'9" or so, so YMMV). It amazes me how quiet and adjustable this thing is, especially for it's size. I'm curious if anyone else has one?

Jim

Think I posted here earlier about my screen. I have a BMW touring, sport and MRA screen with the adjustable lip for my '04 r1150r. The MRA is by far the best for me. I'm 5'10" about 170#. Used for a 735 mile day mix of slab and secondary roads. Great around town and on the slab. It's been wind test to 110 mph. You'll like it I think.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #599
clevishook
stevedore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbobs View Post
hi everyone,

first post on this forum. i am from germany (so please excuse my bad english), but somehow we don't have such a good german motorbike-board. just found this forum, and i think it's great. spent hours since yesterday just reading threads about well, everything. :) especially all 36 pages of this R1200R-thread (better than a book).

just bought a 1 year old R1200R in light grey. it's still at the dealer, i'll pick it up next weekend. can't wait until i finally get it. so all i can do until then is readreadread about the greatest bike ever made and look at the photos you posted. thank god i already bought an R, otherwise i'd have to buy one now, because this thread is making my fingers itch. ;)

of course i'll provide you with pictures as soon as i have my own BMW.
until then, thanks for this great piece of internet. :)

bobs

Welcome. Have fun on the new bike.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #600
clevishook
stevedore

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthg View Post
An original and classic. Nice bike.