User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Dumb reasons to get a 2012 over a 2013?

I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. I've ridden before, but only around empty parking lots and up and down the street. I'm going to take the rider's course we have here in VA, but after shopping around, I'm looking to get an R1200GS. I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2012 and the 2013, but am settling on the 2012 for 2 reasons: 1) I feel like the water-cooled aspect of the 2013 is one more system to fail, and I may join a coworker on his next roadtrip to/through Mexico at some point, and 2) I just think a 2012 Rallye edition is so darn good looking. But everything I read/watch does say the 2013 is slightly better in all categories. Is my reasoning poor?
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Sounds like good reasoning to me as I got a 12 Rallye 6 months ago and dont regret it at all. It's a proven design, warts and all, and I dont want to be a test rider again. Added plus it will be cheaper than when I got mine.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Can I ask how much you paid? They're talking around 17k.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I just picked up a Rallye and I think you could do a bit better on the price, based on my experience. I picked mine up in January..

As far as the bike itself goes, it's AWESOME.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I'm looking to get my first motorcycle. I've ridden before, but only around empty parking lots and up and down the street. I'm going to take the rider's course we have here in VA, but after shopping around, I'm looking to get an R1200GS. I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2012 and the 2013, but am settling on the 2012 for 2 reasons: 1) I feel like the water-cooled aspect of the 2013 is one more system to fail, and I may join a coworker on his next roadtrip to/through Mexico at some point, and 2) I just think a 2012 Rallye edition is so darn good looking. But everything I read/watch does say the 2013 is slightly better in all categories. Is my reasoning poor?
I bought a 2012 Rallye last summer and didn't give a thought to waiting for an LC...thinking of giving it a year to mature, etc. And that's fine. I did realize after reading about the LC GS that it is more than a water cooled bike. The new clutch, trans, etc. really solves a lot of possible issues that the Oilheads have suffered from. I think I would have bought the LC if I had the choice now. As it is, waiting a year or so at this point makes sense...and the Rallye really does look good. So I forced my self to wait :)
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
I bought a 2012 Rallye last summer and didn't give a thought to waiting for an LC...thinking of giving it a year to mature, etc. And that's fine. I did realize after reading about the LC GS that it is more than a water cooled bike. The new clutch, trans, etc. really solves a lot of possible issues that the Oilheads have suffered from. I think I would have bought the LC if I had the choice now. As it is, waiting a year or so at this point makes sense...and the Rallye really does look good. So I forced my self to wait :)
Wow, this must be a Rallye fest! I bought my Rallye last summer as well. My 4th GS and I love it. I also just rode the 2013 GS and its awesome. It rides more like a Ducati Multistrada (which I've also owned) than the previous GS. However, as a first bike, the 2012 will be all you need and more. Also, like some others, I'm waiting a year or so, until any possible gremlins surface in the new wasserboxer model. If not, I'll probably move to the new model. For now though, my Rallye is great and all I need...besides, I'm also going to snatch up a new Ducati HyperStrada to add to the stable in a few months... :)

dwestly screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 11:53 AM
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Just picked up my first GS. 2012 with 840 miles on it. I decided I liked it more than the new one. Lighter weight. More dirt oriented. More aftermarket farkle availability. More tribal knowledge about every imaginable aspect of the platform. Simple=good, air/oil cooling (also 'old school' is cool). The things the wethead does better I probably wouldn't even notice. I'm in learn mode. Loving it!
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
For your first bike I would buy a beater bike to warm up on. The gs is an expensive bike to repair. I am sure you are more than capable but there are a lot of little things to learn. I would buy a cheap 1k-2k bike to get started and then buy the gs. Just my 2cents and I hope you do get the gs sooner or later because it is a fantastic motorcycle.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KankakeeBenjamin View Post
For your first bike I would buy a beater bike to warm up on. The gs is an expensive bike to repair. I am sure you are more than capable but there are a lot of little things to learn. I would buy a cheap 1k-2k bike to get started and then buy the gs. Just my 2cents and I hope you do get the gs sooner or later because it is a fantastic motorcycle.
From the reading I've been doing, the GS is only expensive to repair if you have someone else do your repairs. When people walked in my living room and saw this, their reaction was "oh, he's doing another build I guess *shrug*"

I definitely agree I have a lot to learn, but the cost of ownership isn't really a concern for me.

I've signed up for the 2-day Rider Training Program, and have pretty much decided on the 2012.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Bluecomet
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 112
I'd have to agree with getting a smaller, less expensive, lighter bike to learn on. I'd sure hate to have multiple slow speed dumps on a brand new GS while learning cycle basics and balance. You'd be money ahead to get a jap bike that has already depreciated and has some battle scars on it to learn on. Have the patience and self discipline to practice, practice, practice in empty parking lots and light traffic back roads. If you get the right bike, you can put a few thousand miles on it and sell it for as much as you paid for it. That's also the safer way to go. Surrounded by traffic is NOT the place to learn how to ride a bike.
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecomet View Post
I'd have to agree with getting a smaller, less expensive, lighter bike to learn on. I'd sure hate to have multiple slow speed dumps on a brand new GS while learning cycle basics and balance. You'd be money ahead to get a jap bike that has already depreciated and has some battle scars on it to learn on. Have the patience and self discipline to practice, practice, practice in empty parking lots and light traffic back roads. If you get the right bike, you can put a few thousand miles on it and sell it for as much as you paid for it. That's also the safer way to go. Surrounded by traffic is NOT the place to learn how to ride a bike.
+1. A GS of any year is a WHOLE LOT of bike for a first-time rider. A 2-day course is not going to prepare you for managing a bike as tall and heavy as a GS in the real world.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KankakeeBenjamin View Post

makes the most sense
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
From the reading I've been doing, the GS is only expensive to repair if you have someone else do your repairs. When people walked in my living room and saw this, their reaction was "oh, he's doing another build I guess *shrug*"

I definitely agree I have a lot to learn, but the cost of ownership isn't really a concern for me.

I've signed up for the 2-day Rider Training Program, and have pretty much decided on the 2012.
You know I wasn't going to go where several others did, with all the 'better to start off on a smaller bike' stuff. A lot of what they said was based on cost of ownership, and repairing it if you (when you?) dump it. Some did mention the fact that there is also the safety aspect of it.

Whether you can afford it financially or not; and whether you can tear it apart and put it back together in your living room or not isn't the issue at all. Riding a bike this size as a 'starter' bike is not a great idea, imho.

This dialogue reminds me of my nephew, who at 27 or so went out and got himself a Yamaha R6. He said all his buddies were riding those or R1s, and, "gee Uncle Tom, it's just a 600." I looked at him and said after 8 years of racing lightweight superbikes I am still pretty sure I would have no clue about getting a 600 around a track at anything resembling well - and frankly, was a bit too chicken to try. He didn't seem to get what I was telling him.

In any case, as I said above, I just got my GS - and I'm blown away by how powerful it is compared to what I've been riding most recently.

There's a lot to riding a motorcycle safely. And there's a lot to doing it well enough that you can actually relax and enjoy it, which comes from the confidence of knowing that when things get sketchy, your reactions will be good, because you will have done a bunch of times things like braking, swerving, downshifting and deciding which one to do in a split second - sometimes all at the same time, even if you weren't paying full attention to what was going on around you.

This bike - the R12GS - in my opinion, is not the bike that you will learn those things on if you are new to motorcycling. How long it takes different people varies a lot. But it definitely takes more time than riding around a parking lot and going to a two day course. Both are great starts to be sure.

Big, heavy, tall and powerful - not really the ideal machine to find one's sealegs on. An F650 if you have to have a Beemer would be good. Or an SV650 or V-Strom might be worth a look, too.

Or go for it with the big boy - keep us posted. Will be an interesting story to track either way. Good luck!
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

I know what you guys are saying is good advice, and in fact is what I've been telling the people who are guiding me on this, but the people who know me are saying to go straight to the 1200GS 1) because they say I'm responsible enough to not take on more than I can handle, and 2) because at 6'3" and big framed (size 13 shoe, but not really fat at 180lbs) I don't fit well on the smaller bikes. The local dealer I'm told has a good reputation for not letting you leave the parking lot if they don't think you can handle it, and I work with an experienced GS rider who is helping me along the way. I will say a friend of mine who had never ridden at all took the same course and then with only that experience drove about 160 miles from Northern Virginia to his home.

I was actually telling the people who are giving me advice shouldn't I start with something smaller, but they've responded with that's generally true but not for you. So, at this point I've mentally committed myself and will let you guys know if I drop it. Where I live, there are a LOT of roads with almost no vehicular traffic on them that I can get to from my house without encountering vehicles, so I plan to put in a lot of time on those.

ChildlikeWonder screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 06:26 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
CanadianTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
I know what you guys are saying is good advice, and in fact is what I've been telling the people who are guiding me on this, but the people who know me are saying to go straight to the 1200GS 1) because they say I'm responsible enough to not take on more than I can handle, and 2) because at 6'3" and big framed (size 13 shoe, but not really fat at 180lbs) I don't fit well on the smaller bikes. The local dealer I'm told has a good reputation for not letting to leave the parking lot if they don't think you can handle it, and I work with an experienced GS rider who is helping me along the way. I will say a friend of mine who had never ridden at all took the same course and then with only that experience drove about 160 miles from Northern Virginia to his home.

I was actually telling the people who are giving me advice shouldn't I start with something smaller, but they've responded with that's generally true but not for you. So, at this point I've mentally committed myself and will let you guys know if I drop it. Where I live, there are a LOT of roads with almost no vehicular traffic on them that I can get to from my house without encountering vehicles, so I plan to put in a lot of time on those.
You can be a mountain gorilla, doesn't matter... As a noob, it's a given you're gonna' drop it... Invest engine guards if you are bent on the GS