Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #4441
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
Thanks lost. I read down through to the part where you did the valve adjustment but I think my issue is a little different. As you guys will learn, I am extremely mechanically handicapped and completely lack all common sense in relation the subject.

That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?

Next, Im either really dense or I also ordered the wrong inserts for the bars. I dremmeled out the end of my throttle to the diameter of my bars, put the mounts in the bars, tightened them down and they just fall out. Do you think I just need to order larger insert things or should I just sell these guards and start over considering the arent full wraps?
Fair enough.

I would say ditch those half guards and get some full coverage ones as they aren't going to last very long if you drop your bike much and probably wont protect your levers.

did you cut the throttle tube off like what's in the photos in my thread or just cut a hole on the end? hard to tell by your description.

If spending a little more money isn't an issue you could get Highway dirt bike guards, with new bars with threaded inserts already installed, chances are you'll never bend those guards or bars. The OEM bars are pretty soft and do bend easily and with the bars bending you can break mounts on typical guards like probend. BTDT.
I know folks like to recommend what they have, I've learned that more often than not it's cheaper in the long run to get the good stuff from the beginning instead of working your way up to getting it after breaking less strong things.
Bars and hand guards take the most beating on a DS bike IMO and if there'a a weak point it will break if you're dropping the bike or crashing very often. Now if you're not going to be doing much off tarmac riding then maybe investing in strong stuff isn't needed.

good luck

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #4442
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
That being said, Ive already made my first mistake. I ordered these not realizing they are not full wrap arounds. Im assuming these are not really gonna cut it right?
My wife has those guards on her XT225 and they really don't do much to protect your levers. They do protect your hands from small branches, but that's about it. She's already bent up a clutch lever when she dropped it and the guard just bent out of the way.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #4443
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks guys, I guess I wont bother mounting them then. They are for sale if anyone wants them, if not Ill take them over to an ATV forum maybe.

I did not cut the end off of the throttle I just more or less drilled out the end cap to the same diameter as the ID of my bars. Im pretty sure they are the wrong size inserts
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #4444
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
LOST RIDER...RE: Multiple Master Links. I wouldn't worry about multiple masterlinks if installed properly. Most of the new clip style masterlinks almost need a press to get the side plate on. After the clip is on properly, put a very slight bit of press...but in the opposite direction to PINCH the clip tight in it's groove. Then add a bit of 0.025" SS safety wire around the narrow part of the side plate and the clip. It won't come loose any time soon!

sounds good in theory, I do know how to install one, but the issue I've had is with putting lots of miles on a chain, in just one trip I've worn out the clips from them rubbing on the chain guides/sliders and then had them come off. A safety wire around a chain link wouldn't last on my bike. I've lost a clip-on a couple times, once while in the Yukon which wasn't very convenient.

We all have our ways and opinions, while having a clip on master link come off isn't a major concern, I've run tens of thousands of miles with them, failure has happened and for me using a crimp on makes most sense - there's zero chance of that link coming apart or wearing out. I treat my bikes as a racer would because of the frequent far from civilization places I like to ride. You won't see a race bike with clip on master links, ever.
Chances are for most folks if installed right there will be no problem, but like I said by running 2 you're doubling your chances of some that either by being installed wring, or wearing out, or when just the right rock hits in just the right spot can fail.

For someone on the east coast where it's nearly impossible to get too far from help, sure, go for it and run two master links, carry a spare and don't worry about it, chances are it will be fine, I just wont tke that chance anymore based on my experience. I understand wanting to experiment with gearing, go for it, I just have to share my opinion with the dangers I see from what I've seen instead of blindly telling people something is OK to do. You are right, I wouldn't worry about it too much if installed properly.

LostRider.com
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #4445
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
I did not cut the end off of the throttle I just more or less drilled out the end cap to the same diameter as the ID of my bars. Im pretty sure they are the wrong size inserts

OK, you'll need to trim the throttle tube something like in my photos to use any handgaurd on the bike, the insert/bolt is going to pull the guard against the bars, that's where the strength comes from. You need the throttle tube to rotate freely and not touch the guards. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions when you get soem new guards, if I can help I will.

LostRider.com
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #4446
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Serviced my shock linkage and swing arm today. Pleasantly surprised by the condition of everything inside and how easy it was with the manual.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #4447
Okie03
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Disc Brake Guards

Another question for you gentlemen, have any of you found rear & front disc brake guards? A buddy of mine ordered some off of CRFSonly, but they ended up not fitting correctly. Appreciate the help!
Okie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #4448
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
ok, that makes sense. Id rather not buy new bars right way, what are some other options for good looking handguards? I have a really big issue with the majority of run of the mill handguards in terms of looks.

What about the zeta handguards with the turn signals in them. Are they any good. Will I sacrifice my visibility to other drivers at all?
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #4449
Lost Rider
Roadie

I'll defer to others about brands I haven't used, I will say that i understand the need to like the looks of stuff you're buying, but for me function/protection over form takes precedence, there's nothing cool looking about a bike that is broken and immobile on the trail so try to get something to serve it purpose first and might look pleasing to you.

Barkbusters and Cycra probends are brands I've used in the past, and broken.

good luck.

LostRider.com
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4450
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Auto-X, Lost, Ed, thanks for your thoughts. Initially I think I will try the 13 tooth counter sprocket with the stock chain and stock rear 40 tooth sprocket. I am trying to figure out what I will go to when they need to be replaced. I still only have about 500 miles on and have only done about 10% of those as two lane dirt. My only other experience with a chain on a full size dual sport was back in the early 1980's on a Honda SL350. Again, I reallt appreciate everyone's thoughts and hope to put some miles on as the weather warms up. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #4451
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
Auto-X, Lost, Ed, thanks for your thoughts. Initially I think I will try the 13 tooth counter sprocket with the stock chain and stock rear 40 tooth sprocket. I am trying to figure out what I will go to when they need to be replaced. I still only have about 500 miles on and have only done about 10% of those as two lane dirt. My only other experience with a chain on a full size dual sport was back in the early 1980's on a Honda SL350. Again, I reallt appreciate everyone's thoughts and hope to put some miles on as the weather warms up. Bill C
LOST & Others: My experience with chains is 99.9% with Honda XRs. Side wear/clip wear from the chain guide friction is quite rare, and the safety wire lasts for a year at a time (I re-do it annually). Since I had a freak chain fracture a few years back when a stick jammed in it....and all the associated towing/walking/pushing/shit cell phone service hassles...I now carry all the associated tools and hardware for chain repair. That total "kit" weight/complexity would certainly be no different with tools to do a pressed link over a clip link....so take your choice...either is good

carry
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #4452
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Valve Adjustment

Yesterday I just completed half of my valve adjustment. As in now I need to go get shims to put it back together. My question is, both of the exhaust measurements were good, and were the same. However my intake clearance check gave me one valve that was super loose and one that was within the allowed tolerance. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I just found it odd and was curious as to other peoples experiences.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #4453
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Can anyone give me some tips on installing my bar end mounted hand guards? Im not sure what to do with the throttle side. I read one review where the guy messes up his throttle when installing his guards but I didnt really understand why that happened.

Also, can I just slap on my old rox risers or do I need to modify the throttle and clutch cable setup in some way?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37CdTGQ294

I broke my throttle tube. I put a new throttle tube in, and cut the end cap off while it was still off the bike.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #4454
ausspo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Emperor Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausspo View Post
How much are the Emperor skid plates and rad guards?
Did you get them from a dealer in NZ?
What do you think of their luggage rack?
Thanks in advance
Yep bought the Emperor plate and radiator guard, really good quality stuff. Price was right too. Better fit and finish than any aussie gear out there right now.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4455
willbeoutdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
i am going to grease the suspension linkages due to the comments about them not being lubed well. I have never done it before and hopefully wont run into problems. I am wondering about the swingarm bearings though, do they need to be greased right away too? taking the swingarm off seems like a lot to take apart and I don't want to do more harm than good. anyone?
willbeoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote