Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Ya. Sharing a lane with someone that you know is fantastic. Having a random rider try to pass in the same lane isn't. You took a risk with someone else's life so you could get to the exit a few seconds sooner?

Granted the other rider shouldn't have been in the left lane unless he was intending to pass the Suburban, but turning a slightly annoying situation into a dangerous situation is the very sort of thing that makes people want to legislate motorcycling out of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

He may have been a schmuck for not wanting you to share his lane, but did that make it ok to clip his elbow with your handlebar as you so proudly put it???

How fast was traffic going to allow you to drop 2-3 gears and "breeze his ass"?

Sounds like we have another definition of Corndog...
Rapid rust, that thing you linked doesn't apply to this.
So, tell me, is it OK to put the big swerve on me, the third time I tried to go by? The third time, I knew for a fact he was being a dickhead. The first one I thought might have been inadvertent. The second, well, maybe. The third time drove the message he was sending, home. I had, at the most, 5 or 10 mph on him when I moved up.

I guess some of you get real uncomfortable if someone shares your lane with you. I don't. I think the biggest risk was when he swerved at me. If he had just held his lane position, if he had not been pacing the Burb, or if he had just not did anything, any interaction with me would have been over with in less than 5 seconds, with no risk to anyone at all. I was not riding aggressively. But his choice, either to try to send me a message , or trying to block me with the first 2 moves, and actually swerving at me the third time, that crossed a line. So I breezed him, and I believe I sent message of my own. Good or bad, that's how it went down. And his decision to chase me, if it really came down to it, he was not going to make me stop, no matter what. His sniveling to the cop got him nowhere but a pretty expensive ticket.

As for the traffic, there was none. Just him and the Suburban. Side by side on an empty freeway. Maybe it was his old lady or something.

And he was in the right lane, riding right next to the SUV. Nothing to the right but the fogline and about 3/4 of the lane. When he looked at me, I assumed he was giving me room to go by. Apparently not.

Animosity.

corndog67 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 10:36 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #47
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
As for the traffic, there was none. Just him and the Suburban. Side by side on an empty freeway. Maybe it was his old lady or something.

And he was in the right lane, riding right next to the SUV. Nothing to the right but the fogline and about 3/4 of the lane. When he looked at me, I assumed he was giving me room to go by. Apparently not.

Animosity.

corndog, I am not sure the situation was clear to everybody from your original description. It is not all that clear to me, either.

However, it appears this was a two-lane (in each direction) freeway, and the motorcyclist ahead of you was riding alongside the four-wheeler in the next lane, and matching its speed, so that following traffic was prevented from overtaking.

I am not sure about traffic etiquette in the US, and because you guys drive the opposite side from us Down Under I can't get my head around which vehicle was in the overtaking lane.

Nevertheless, when two vehicles are travelling at precisely the same speed over an extended distance on such a road, the courteous thing to do, very obviously, is to avoid travelling side by side.

To travel side-by-side and then to aggressively attempt to obstruct a vehicle wishing to overtake seems inconsiderate, at best; deliberately provocative at worst.

If I'm reading this right, then the rider of the Indian got treated no worse than he was treating others.

Nevertheless, I hope that in the same situation these days, I would back off.

Interesting case to throw out there. I have seen this sort of thing a few times, but it's usually a couple of hot-rodded cars occupying both lanes at 80 per cent of the speed limit.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #48
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,579
I've had a handful of other riders pass me in my own lane, the two most egregious as follows:

I was on the interstate. Moderate traffic. It's a popular loop for the local sport bike riders to race around. I see them zipping in and out of traffic all the time. I just try to keep my distance. So this particular day I'm riding along, and before I heard or saw anything, a sportbike cuts through my lane and then cuts in front of me to the left. Guy must have been doing in excess of 100mph, perhaps quite a bit faster than that.

The other incident happened just the other day. I was on a country road. Minimal traffic. I passed by another motorcyclist who was turning onto the road from a side road. I saw him in my rear-view mirror behind me. Nothing special to note until I approached a 4-way stop. I slowed and came to a stop while I glanced in my mirror. He was no longer a couple hundred yards behind me. Just as I looked over to my mirror, he flew past me on the right in my lane, completely blowing the stop sign at highway speed.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #49
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Ya. Sharing a lane with someone that you know is fantastic. Having a random rider try to pass in the same lane isn't. You took a risk with someone else's life so you could get to the exit a few seconds sooner?

Granted the other rider shouldn't have been in the left lane unless he was intending to pass the Suburban, but turning a slightly annoying situation into a dangerous situation is the very sort of thing that makes people want to legislate motorcycling out of existence.
+1 I ride in LA all the time with my work out there. Lane splitting and sharing is a great thing, done smart and responsibly. However, just because the other rider was being a d#*$ doesn't mean you should go ripping around him, practically shaving off a piece of him or you in the process. Just not smart riding, no matter how good you think you are. K-moe is also right saying it just pisses off the other motorists when they see this kind of immature, dangerous display. No joy, man. fail.

dwestly screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:13 AM
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #50
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
I really hate it when other bikers think its okay to ride side by side or pass in the same lane...If I see someone wanting to get by I'll move over and wave them by.

Kind of funny I was riding down a two lane road 50mph posted speed limit in this section....there was a legal passing zone. I was doing at least 55-60...Along comes geezer on his HD trike with his old lady on the back (accurate description)...he blows passed me doing at least 75...pipes barking, I laughed because I knew in a few miles the speed drops abruptly to 35mph....and Johnny law likes to sit there....this being bike week I knew he'd be there.....sure enough I pass old geezer having a chat with officer friendly...I couldn't resist....I tooted my little Japanese horn and waved as I went by
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #51
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,742
Had a rider on a Duc lane share with me just yesterday. I had just stopped in traffic at a light with two two cars behind me, and in the left lane, and this guy stops in the right lane another two cars back...lane splits (highly frowned upon here by cagers) up to my lane and pulls in right next to me. I was like but whatever. He looked at me and I nodded at him and then when the light changed, we both went and I let him slip ahead. Whatever, I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over that, but it's just weird when people I don't know do that to me. Not really sure what his motivation was either, since he didn't get anywhere any faster than he would have anyway.

The real asshole was the douche on the HD 5 minutes later. We were both behind an idiot in a BMW going 45 in a 55. HDouche is tailgating me, even though it's not like it's MY fault we are going so damn slow. A passing lane appears, and I leave both HDouche and BMWtard for dead (gotta love the VFR's roll on )

However, as I'm SIGNALING and pulling back into the right lane, HDouche is flying up behind me, and goes to pass ME in the RIGHT lane before I can get back over -- I was already halfway through my lane change, and swerved back left again at the same time HDouche realized what was happened, so he swerved left and then I had to duck right again, just as he came blasting past at 90 MPH now that his bike had finally picked up some steam. W.T.F.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #52
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Yep, ever heard of lane sharing? He was pacing a Suburban which was in the left lane. He was against the line on the left side of the lane. Plenty of room on the right.
Not sure about CA laws, so forgive me if they're different. Where I live, the motorcyclist is entitled to the full width of the lane, and it's illegal to pass in the same lane.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #53
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 415
In CA it is legal to share the lane with another motorcyclist. Lane splitting is not legal anywhere in the U.S. The difference in CA is that it is not ILLEGAL. CA traffic laws simply don't address it, so it is accepted. In fact, the CMSP (California Motorcylist Safety Program) recently released its lane splitting guidelines. It has some good stuff in it, if you ride in CA and intend to or already lane split:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/motorcycle.html
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #54
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Had a rider on a Duc lane share with me just yesterday. I had just stopped in traffic at a light with two two cars behind me, and in the left lane, and this guy stops in the right lane another two cars back...lane splits (highly frowned upon here by cagers) up to my lane and pulls in right next to me. I was like but whatever. He looked at me and I nodded at him and then when the light changed, we both went and I let him slip ahead. Whatever, I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over that, but it's just weird when people I don't know do that to me. Not really sure what his motivation was either, since he didn't get anywhere any faster than he would have anyway.
When you're stopped in a lane, with space next to you, I think it's just courteous to let someone come up and take the same lane, I do it all the time, and I have No issues with anyone doing that to me. I think being motorcyclists and all (someone above said biker, I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist), I don't care what you ride, I don't care if you wear your gear or not, we are in this together. Even when you decide that you don't want me to pass, well, neither of us hit the ground, although if he decided to really, really push it, I would have obliged him, we are still fellow motorcyclists.

Go right ahead, pull up next to me. If I can tell by the way you ride that you can't ride, I'll move away from you.

One of the previous posters said something about being in his own lane and sitting on the right side of the dividing line, wanting some other rider to change lanes and go around him, and he got bunched because the guy passed on the right. Why? Plenty of room. If someone does a courteous pass on you, why the drama?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #55
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
When you're stopped in a lane, with space next to you, I think it's just courteous to let someone come up and take the same lane, I do it all the time, and I have No issues with anyone doing that to me. I think being motorcyclists and all (someone above said biker, I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist), I don't care what you ride, I don't care if you wear your gear or not, we are in this together. Even when you decide that you don't want me to pass, well, neither of us hit the ground, although if he decided to really, really push it, I would have obliged him, we are still fellow motorcyclists.

Go right ahead, pull up next to me. If I can tell by the way you ride that you can't ride, I'll move away from you.

One of the previous posters said something about being in his own lane and sitting on the right side of the dividing line, wanting some other rider to change lanes and go around him, and he got bunched because the guy passed on the right. Why? Plenty of room. If someone does a courteous pass on you, why the drama?
I guess the question is, if there is plenty of room (e.g. the whole passing lane) to move over to make a pass, and one stays right to pass instead, and passes in the same lane, is that, in fact, courteous? I would argue no, it is not.

David B.
davidbeinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #56
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Flying Ace, if you don't want them to pass on the right, move over before they get to you, if you've got the room. Courtesy.
Come again? When did I say anything about not wanting someone to pass on my right? I'm never the fastest rider so I have others pass me on the right of my lane often enough. I don't mind, after all I take up less than half a lane as long as they don't try riding side-by-side with me, I won't even let friends do that.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #57
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 570
Note on the little scooters , Here they are known as Liquor Ciciles for good reason .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #58
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,552
A Question of Etiquette

I've come out of the forest onto a well formed, all weather dirt road suitable for ordinary road vehicles.
The road is wide enough in places that cars can pass without putting a wheel on the shoulder.

Anyway it's lots of fun and gives me a chance to peg back the Husky 630 that would be 45-60 seconds ahead after I closed the last gate.
The dust ahead is being raised by a vehicle travelling at motorcyle speed.
It's getting thicker.

Two KTM 990s ahead comfortable side by side, sharing the line, drifting though corners.

Pretty to watch - bit slow for me - I have a TE630 to catch - wait for the straight.
Outside pass - blocked.
Inside pass - blocked

Feinted another ouside pass and split the middle as the rider moved to block.

Is it OK to spay them with rocks?
Is it OK to give the mirror a tap on the way through?
What about handle bars?
Should expressing feelings be confined to shoulders and elbows or is it OK to deliver a kidney slap with a bark buster?

Rucksta screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:58 AM
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #59
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I've come out of the forest onto a well formed, all weather dirt road suitable for ordinary road vehicles.
The road is wide enough in places that cars can pass without putting a wheel on the shoulder.

Anyway it's lots of fun and gives me a chance to peg back the Husky 630 that would be 45-60 seconds ahead after I closed the last gate.
The dust ahead is being raised by a vehicle travelling at motorcyle speed.
It's getting thicker.

Two KTM 990s ahead comfortable side by side, sharing the line, drifting though corners.

Pretty to watch - bit slow for me - I have a TE630 to catch - wait for the straight.
Outside pass - blocked.
Inside pass - blocked

Feinted another ouside pass and split the middle as the rider moved to block.

Is it OK to spay them with rocks?
Is it OK to give the mirror a tap on the way through?
What about handle bars?
Should expressing feelings be confined to shoulders and elbows or is it OK to deliver a kidney slap with a bark buster?
For attempting a double blocking maneuver, I'd give them a quick gravel shower, followed by about a mile of spinning up the rear wheel to treat them to a nice dust topping.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #60
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,383
Quote:

The dude in Tucson on the bobber I met didn't feel the same way you do. Long story short, he got off his bike and came at me threatening to kick my ass saying something about 'you're in my lane' after I'd pulled up next to him at a stop light.

If those are the attitudes we're facing, its no wonder there's no lane sharing anywhere else in the country!

...speaking of Hardley Ablesons... (even tho it isn't Friday yet) Why is it they ALL ride on the right side of the lane on a 2-lane road? You're less visible to turning cars. You can't see as far up the road to see what the cars in front of you are doing. ...and worst: IF something does happen, you've cut your reaction space in half (or less)

Is it something the Hardley riding schools are teaching?

M