Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #2161
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro128 View Post
Mounts, cases, supplies, packaging and instructions were professionally done. Everything lined up, mounts easily, and detaches quickly.

No rattle on trails or parts vibrating loose. Rain and dust were unable to penetrate.

Only the accessory back rest pad for the top case proved unworthy of the rest of your package.

So, I give you a A!

Very impressive.
Thank you. You might try stuffing more foam into the back rest pad to firm it up. There is a pocket on the velcro side so you can access the foam. I going for the A+ here
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #2162
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,675
I just purchased a Super Tenere last week and needed a luggage system. After giving a prolonged though, I went ahead an ordered my second set of cases from Caribou. I just can't reason purchasing an aluminum set.

My last setup came installed on a new-used Vee while I still living in Colorado. The system held up great for almost 4 years while I owned the bike. The cases also helped save my bike from extensive damage when I was cut-off in traffic. A truck went to make a turn at the last second so I swerved and avoided a collision but ended up highsiding the bike. The bike landed flat on it's left side, causing the case to crack and shatter a chunk off. The only damage was the case and a heavy scrape on the fairing near the headlight. Imagine what the aluminum cases would've looked like after nearly 600 lbs. landing on it. After the compensation, I just purchased a new case from Caribou and was good to go.

I've lost track how many times the cases have helped prop the bike from a dump. In most cases, the only thing needing a tweak after a drop was the compression latch tab. A few whacks with a mallet and it was good as new.

The only thing I have to gripe about (and it's not about Caribou) is I wish Pelican offered more top loading case that are simple and not so robust like the 36L (similar to a rackmount but much slimmer and only opens from one side). Just a simple tub, lid, and lid latches. No need for rollers, strengthening gussets, or extra handles. On long trips, side loading gets old, fast. If it's just a weekend thing, I could care less. Loading groceries becomes a challenge at times when you're loading the side stand side. However, for the price, quality, Pelican case warranty, etc. you can't beat this system.

Well, I do have one, small thing to gripe about with the Caribous. Over time the lanyards may brake. But, I could care less. A few bucks at Lowes for some braided steel cable, crimps, nuts, bolts, and a half hour of time will fix it. I had actually customized the lengths on the Vee that when the lids opened, they were level to the ground (providing the bike was on the side stand). Therefore, they acted as a tray while they were open. Again, hardly a gripe. I think I just abuse them more than I should, lol.

TeneRay screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 01:44 PM
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2163
deltamed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
Introducing two new case sizes for Caribou Luggage Systems.

First, a 36 liter case based on the Hardigg Storm case iM2600. Slightly more capacity (about 1 liter based on our test) than the Pelican 1550, the Storm case features a tight fitting lid with a silicon gasket seal for waterproofness, an advanced HPX polypropylene resin for strength and durability with reduced weight, ergonomic easy press-and-pull latches, strong stainless steel pin molded-in hinge design, automatically adjusting vortex valve for pressure equalization, and a durable soft grip handle. These cases maintain toughness while having a clean and smooth fit and finish that rivals anything in the motorcycle luggage business, and they are backed by the manufacturer’s lifetime limited warranty. Offered in black-only at this time, made in the USA.

Next, a 40 liter case based on the SKB ATA 300 Series of MIL-Std cases. For those who need more luggage space, the SKB 40 Liter case is molded of ultra high-strength polypropylene copolymer resin and features a tight fitting lid with a silicon gasket seal for waterproofness, ergonomic trigger release latches, strong stainless steel pin molded-in hinge design, automatically adjusting pressure equalization valve, and a durable, snap-down soft grip handle. These cases maintain toughness while having a clean and smooth fit and finish that rivals anything in the motorcycle luggage business, and they are backed by the manufacturer’s lifetime limited warranty. Offered in black-only at this time, made in the USA.

Pelican cases set the standard for toughness, but the new cases from Hardigg and SKB go beyond with very nice latch mechanisms, lighter weight, and a more refined finish and appearance. Our own testing has shown that the lighter weight construction of Hardigg and SKB cases will stand up to the demands of adventure touring motorcycling. All of the cases meet or exceed MIL-Std specifications for Drop Test, Impact, Vibration, and Immersion.

The new Hardigg Storm and SKB based Caribou luggage side case systems are available immediately for most bikes we cover (V-Strom 1000 and BMW 1150GS will lag by a few weeks), top cases will be available in about 3 weeks. Note that it will take a few days to populate our web site with these new products, but you can still call and order over the phone at 303-786-8947. Pricing on the 36L Hardigg Storm-based side case system is equal to our current 35L Pelican-based systems, the larger 40L SKB-based side case system is only $25 additional. Here are some photos….

36 Liter cases....

And the 40 Liter cases...

These are great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Many of the folks who make panniers don't have NEARLY enough pics!!!!
deltamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2164
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Kind of a photo timeline of all the bikes I've owned, except the KTM
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #2165
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Roger,

Do you have a picture of the top case rack mounted on a '08+ GS Adventure? One of my rear fender washers doesn't fit right.

Update: I was able to adjust the bolts a little more to make more room for the washer but it still doesn't fit flush. Here's my latest pics:

Notice right side rear fender washer does not fit flush. It hits up against the top case mounting bracket.
IBA #49426

kimokk screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 10:12 AM
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #2166
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

I think you will need to loosen all the bolts and slide the plate forward.

-rog
Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #2167
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Rog,

I did that. The first picture above is the best I could get.
IBA #49426
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #2168
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
Rog,

I did that. The first picture above is the best I could get.
Hi,

Shoot me an email at roger@cariboucases.com and we'll get this figured out and taken care of. Thanks!

-rog

CaribouCases screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 06:15 PM
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #2169
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok will do. Thanks Rog!
IBA #49426
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #2170
Chip_Morgan
lieguy@gmail.com

Oddometer: 10
Wicked Caribou Case recommendation and question

First of all, let me say that I bought a complete set of Caribou cases last year (Top box and mount, panniers and mounts) to put on my Triumph Tiger 800 XC.....I love the cases!

I used them when I rode that bike around the United States in September (8,400 miles) and didn't have one single problem...no water intrusion, no dust, latches worked well, everything was 100%.

My question: I just bought a new Triumph 1200 Explorer XC and I want to transfer the cases to my new bike. The top plate is very different but the side racks look like they could work with a little tweaking....does anyone have any experience making this conversion?

I could buy new racks but damn, $300 is a lot of money for someone with a new bike!

Thanks,

Chip
Chip_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #2171
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Hi Chip,

You might be able to find a fabricator to convert the racks over for the new bike, but I think it would be easier and maybe even less expensive to sell the racks you have and get the new ones for the new bike. Perhaps someone has done the fabrication conversion and they can chime it.

-rog
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #2172
Chip_Morgan
lieguy@gmail.com

Oddometer: 10
Converting Caribou Racks to different bike

Quote:
Hi Chip,

You might be able to find a fabricator to convert the racks over for the new bike, but I think it would be easier and maybe even less expensive to sell the racks you have and get the new ones for the new bike. Perhaps someone has done the fabrication conversion and they can chime it.

-rog
Thanks Roger
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #2173
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

New Caribou LED Lighting

Introducing the new Caribou LED tail light kits!

Brake and Running Lights Kit: The Caribou LED brake/running light bar kit will significanly increase your bike's visibility to drivers and riders following you. This high intensity 6" long light bar is designed to give greater visibility and conspicuity to your motorcycle. It is engineered to function in both high and low intensity brightness for both your running light and your brake light. Since many motorcycles have only one brake/running light bulb, these units also function as back-up brake and running lights, providing you a greater degree of safety. Mounting kit includes powder coated steel L-brackets designed to fit under a Caribou cargo plate or any flat cargo plate. Extension wires and connectors are provided along with mounting hardware. NOTE: On BMW bikes with the CAN-BUS system LED lights may cause an error code.
Details:
- 6 inch long dual intensity ultra bright red LEDs (18)
- 12v DC, draws 250 ma
- 3-wires (brake, running, ground), extension wires with crimp connectors provided
- Black powder coated steel housing, all weather operation
- Black powder coated steel L-brackets allow mounting under back end of flat cargo plates

Here is a KLR 650 with the regular brake light...

And here is the same bike with the LED brake light added...

LED brake lights do a great job of catching the attention of drivers and riders directly behind you. This is really a must-have product for today's dangerous streets and epidemic of distracted drivers.

Brake, Running and Turn Signal Light Kit:
Similar to the unit noted above except that this model utilizes 3 LED's on each end of the light bar for turn signals, so you have Brake, Running and Turn Signal LED lighting.

Details:
- 6 inch long dual intensity ultra bright red (12) and amber LEDs (6)
- 12v DC, draws 250 ma
- 5-wires (left turn, right turn, brake, running, ground), extension wires with crimp connectors provided
- Black powder coate steel L-brackets allow mounting under back end of flat cargo plates

For more information and to order please visit this page on our web site... http://cariboucases.com/LED-Lights/

Thank you!

-Roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:36 AM
Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2174
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Introducing the new Caribou LED tail light kits!

Brake and Running Lights Kit: The Caribou LED brake/running light bar kit will significanly increase your bike's visibility to drivers and riders following you. This high intensity 6" long light bar is designed to give greater visibility and conspicuity to your motorcycle. It is engineered to function in both high and low intensity brightness for both your running light and your brake light. Since many motorcycles have only one brake/running light bulb, these units also function as back-up brake and running lights, providing you a greater degree of safety. Mounting kit includes powder coated steel L-brackets designed to fit under a Caribou cargo plate or any flat cargo plate. Extension wires and connectors are provided along with mounting hardware. NOTE: On BMW bikes with the CAN-BUS system LED lights may cause an error code.
Details:
- 6 inch long dual intensity ultra bright red LEDs (18)
- 12v DC, draws 250 ma
- 3-wires (brake, running, ground), extension wires with crimp connectors provided
- Black powder coated steel L-brackets allow mounting under back end of flat cargo plates

Here is a KLR 650 with the regular brake light...

And here is the same bike with the LED brake light added...

LED brake lights do a great job of catching the attention of drivers and riders directly behind you. This is really a must-have product for today's dangerous streets and epidemic of distracted drivers.

Brake, Running and Turn Signal Light Kit:
Similar to the unit noted above except that this model utilizes 3 LED's on each end of the light bar for turn signals, so you have Brake, Running and Turn Signal LED lighting.

Details:
- 6 inch long dual intensity ultra bright red (12) and amber LEDs (6)
- 12v DC, draws 250 ma
- 5-wires (left turn, right turn, brake, running, ground), extension wires with crimp connectors provided
- Black powder coate steel L-brackets allow mounting under back end of flat cargo plates

For more information and to order please visit this page on our web site... http://cariboucases.corecommerce.com/LED-Lights/

Thank you!

-Roger

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #2175
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
New cases!

I like my new cases.

Thanks!

I think this setup will work great.

More pics at