Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #2131
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Put yourself in his shoes...You have a yr old kid, fanily life is becoming more important and your job is high stakes and high risk. What are your chances of winning again, this time on another bike? Would you risk it? What happens if you don't win the next Dakar (for whatever reason...) - will you be written off?
Okay I kept thinking about this last night. So let's take a little ride over to imagination land and put ourselves in his shoes. As long as we are going there we can use the way back machine to go check in on young Cyril.

Here I am young Cyril working as motorcycle mechanic, living the life of a pretty ordinary guy. I figure I'm probably just going to find nice girl to settle down with and live the life of an ordinary working stiff. But I have a bit of a competitive streak, so I race in my free time. Well it turns out that I've got a natural talent for it, and given a lot of hard work I can make a good living doing something I love.

We are going to fast forward a little bit here.

Now here I am middle aged Cyril I've made a good living off this rider gig, found the girl of my dreams, married her, bought a nice house, and with proper financial management my wife and I are pretty much set. Now a couple years later we have started our family, and I've got a chance to sign what in pro sports is called a retirement contract. The last big cash out and chance to cement my legacy as the all time greatest rally rider (then move on to cars). I know if I sign this deal, win a couple more Dakars I'll be able to provide for my kid(s) for longer than I'll be around. All I have to do (not make dakar sound easy) is win a race I've won five times before.

Okay that's my little story so let's get out of imagination land and think about this and let it all settle in. Think about it what parent doesn't dream of even having the chance to be able do that kind of thing for their kid(s). That's the story I see here, a man doing everything he can to try and make sure his family wants for nothing.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #2132
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post

Now here I am middle aged Cyril

Okay that's my little story so let's get out of imagination land and think about this and let it all settle in. Think about it what parent doesn't dream of even having the chance to be able do that kind of thing for their kid(s). That's the story I see here, a man doing everything he can to try and make sure his family wants for nothing.
Less of the middle aged please as that would make me Methuselah

I believe we are generally on the same page here, it's just how and on what he intends to ride off into the Dakar sunset
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #2133
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,010
I had the same theory as Bluebull a while ago, but I think others are right on the chasing 7 wins before he moves on.

Someone who has the drive, determination and be that insanely competitive that they can win Dakar several times would find it a tad difficult to walk away when they are so close to equaling the record, in my unqualified opinion...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #2134
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Blue shoes, blue shirt... the message is subliminal x

Jx

heh heh
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #2135
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I had the same theory as Bluebull a while ago, but I think others are right on the chasing 7 wins before he moves on.

Someone who has the drive, determination and be that insanely competitive that they can win Dakar several times would find it a tad difficult to walk away when they are so close to equaling the record, in my unqualified opinion...
Ditto Here. All the two wheeled champions I've seen - the racing gets into their blood. Based on the history I've seen, you need to be 'defeated' a few times before you give up chasing a record. Some go out on top, but I think Cyril's got too much left in him to consider anything less. More importantly I would believe he's going to find the most comfortable way to win, find the best deal for him to win, not just make money and bank the end of his career. I'm guessing that's one reason for the split from KTM.

I also think he can be a family man, and he'll do what's right by them too. Whether he wants to start a racing dynasty or not, I'm pretty sure he would also appreciate his kid(s..? in future) seeing him win a few. There's nothing like a proud Papa.
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #2136
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

Jx
And on that note, once you've become accomplished at something, you're willing to take more risks. Like helping fund your own effort, or working with your familiars rather than the mainstream...

Succeeding when you bet the odds ...priceless.

Who knows really. But just sayin'
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #2137
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
fwiw. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyril Despres hooked up with Yamaha, especially with the French team underpinning.

From a purely competitive point of view (of which we know CD most certainly is), he is one win away from matching fellow countryman Stephane Peterhansel's Dakar record of six wins on a bike - a Yamaha bike no less.

I can see Cyril wanting to match and beat that record, and what sweeter way than on a Yamaha too?

From a more practical point of view, Yamaha France have a long history of developing the WR (and latterly the YZF) based bikes, and Olivier Pain and David Casteu especially have proved the machine has the pace, and lets not forget that Helder Rodrigues put a WR on the Dakar podium when KTM were still racing 690s!

I think what has let Yamaha France down in the past has been budget, especially when compared to the might of the factory KTM team/s.

Without the money and the corresponding focus of the 'best' people available, the project has never been ultimately successful - certainly not when you are up against the might of the KTM factory.

But that could change if you bring in Cyril (arguably the best rider both physically and tactically in the world), his team associates, and not least his sponsors' money?

Personally I don't see the Honda thing happening with Cyril - not this year at any rate... there is too much to lose on either side with a still unproven machine? If Honda employ the #1 rider and it doesn't work out for ANY reason, there will be so much egg on faces I'm not sure either side would live it down? Cyril is bound to blame the bike/factory, and the last thing Honda want's is that sort of high-profile criticism... It would not end well.

Therefore I like the 'romantic' notion that Cyril will go all patriotic for his record matching (and subsequently beating) campaign over the next two years - on a Yamaha, with an all-French team. He really has nothing left to prove now, other than the personal goal of being the 'best' Dakar rider ever...

It will also give him Carte Blanche with the ASO of course! "Technical infringements? what technical infringements?!" "Here, have my gloves Monsieur Despres!"

Jx
Could Yamaha be wanting to go toe to toe with Honda? Perhaps instead of the HRC model Big Blue co-opts the most successful national team and pours money all over them. That might be enough to lure Cyril
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #2138
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 956
Cyril, together with other two "unemployed" rally racers (Botturi and Manuel Lucchese) should be tomorrow at the start of BikeVillage's Cavalcata del Sole in Sardinia (a very nice non-competitive raid). Let's see tomorrow if Manuel can get some first hand news
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2139
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:

Jx
Maybe that is to throw everyone off the trail.... Gas Gas!!

:)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #2140
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Cyril, together with other two "unemployed" rally racers (Botturi and Manuel Lucchese) should be tomorrow at the start of BikeVillage's Cavalcata del Sole in Sardinia (a very nice non-competitive raid). Let's see tomorrow if Manuel can get some first hand news
Manuel tweeted that he was hoping for a job with a big team as a water carrier a few days ago!!!!
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #2141
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,174
Luis makes the news again

http://www.kcur.org/post/epic-tale-m...ancer-bracelet

wonder if he will be using more CC's this year ?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #2142
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
Manuel tweeted that he was hoping for a job with a big team as a water carrier a few days ago!!!!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #2143
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Maybe that is to throw everyone off the trail.... Gas Gas!!

:)
Nah, that looks more like TM blue to me
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #2144
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,010
Maybe Bordone Ferari found some money?

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #2145
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,187
Speculation that Yamaha my try to get Despres (translated from Portuguese by google):

"Curiosities: Yamaha can "steal" the passage of Cyril Despres for Honda.

"After officially confirmed the departure of Cyril Despres of estrura KTM remains reveal the future of the French rider who won by five times the Dakar Rally. Although touted as a possible early Honda rider in game is also its possible entry into the brand of the three tuning forks.

"Progress Yamaha's Dakar is also significant, but already since 1996 that the Japanese bikes do not bear the greatest proof All-Terrain the world at the time by the hands of Italian Edi Orioli.

"Considering the bet Yamaha France in the Dakar Rally and its strong connection to the French riders, flocking ingredients that may put into question the change of Cyril Despres for the official Honda team, which now acts Hélder Rodrigues.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote