User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #1441
multistradadark
Digger

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

Finally caught up, thanks for sharing! Epic adventure ! I know it take's a lot to keep this up we appreciate it!
multistradadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #1442
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quick update

Today was the last day snowboarding for the season. Yesterday was great but last night it got cold enough to freeze everything. Today the sun didn't come out so the snow was bulletproof.

I have been working on the bike quite a bit with my friend Niko in his dirt floor, no-electricity garage.

-New camshaft, cam chain, bearings, sprockets, auto decompress (see post from Istanbul)
-New starter.
-New steering head bearings.
-New rear suspension bearings.
-New drive chain, front and rear sprockets.

I needed to re-shim the valves after putting the new cam in. Niko used to work with KTM Georgia but quit a few months ago. The owner of KTM Team Georgia is a German guy named Slava. This dude wouldn't sell me the shims or the new rear tire I had him order for me... because I was working with a former employee of his. So long story short I told him to go f**k himself and had my friends from the UK send some parts in. I lucked out and found a pair of 90% tread TKC 80s from a local guy that took them off a newer 690.

Long story short, don't trust KTM Team Georgia for anything. They will overcharge you and the only mechanic is an Armenian dude who is used to working on scooters with a hammer.

The final parts I need will be here tomorrow or the next day. We are still waiting on my new Giant loop bags to get here. I got my Kazak, Azerbaijan and Russian visa now. I will get Uzbek visa in Baku AZ when I go there on the 1st of May.

Thanks for following along. I'll be doing 1 more post for Georgia in the next few days then i'm back on the road.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #1443
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
RIGHT ON NOAH! Looking forward to your news posts on the road.
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #1444
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Hi there Noah!

Looks like you had yourself a good winter. I'm about to undertake a few of the same maintenance items you mention yourself. I have electricity though.

Can't wait for your travels to resume so I can follow along.

Cheers from Washington.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1445
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
GET ON WITH IT!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #1446
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,262
On the road again...

Yes!
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #1447
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Well, parts came today and bike is running like a champ. sounds like a brand new beast.

I lied about the last day snowboarding. It was dumping snow when we left Gudauri this morning... so now that the bike is ready and in a safe garage, we are going back to snowboard for a few more days

Cheers!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1448
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,404
Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Well, parts came today and bike is running like a champ. sounds like a brand new beast.

I lied about the last day snowboarding. It was dumping snow when we left Gudauri this morning... so now that the bike is ready and in a safe garage, we are going back to snowboard for a few more days

Cheers!
You didn't lie, you were misinformed by the weather.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1449
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,487
HELLO Where are the pics of all the shiny new KTM parts, the old worn out ones, the greasy bloody fingers?
I think Noah is stringing us along and has been out playing in the snow all the time and not even sending us any pics of the snow bunnies.
Busted
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #1450
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Yeah Noah, send us some snow bunny pics.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #1451
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Well, parts came today and bike is running like a champ.
are you sure you remember how to ride, its been a while ...take it easy out there
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #1452
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
looking forward to you continuing your journey!
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #1453
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

March brought some warm weather and not as much snow as we would hope. Since the road trip to Mestia, powder was not lasting past midday. Spring skiing in heavy wet snow was here. In the start of April my friend and I volunteered to shovel and shape jumps for a snowboard camp that lasted from April 10 to April 17. Some of the kids from Moscow could really ride park. I can hold my own but I don't do cork 900s. I landed some things I haven't done since I was in college so that felt good. Its been so long since I rode away from a backside rodeo 540. After the camp closed they left the jumps up. I think they were too lazy to take them down. Gudauri turned into a ghost town in April. It is summer in Tbilisi 120 km away and here it is still snowing. Since no one is riding, the wet spring snow doesn't get tracked and it is quite fun to ride when it is fast.

My friend Brent from North Dakota spinning a nice frontside 360

Notice the sign. haha. like i'm gunna listen to that.

This girl can shred.

Backcountry fun.

Riding out of snow.

Time to hitch hike.

Every good day needs to end with a good meal.

So. this is a hole in a hood of a car from an ax. My friend was dating an Ukrainian girl and she cheated on him with this french guy. He saw this car when we were drinking one night and put a hole in the hood before we could get the ax from him. Woops.

In the start of April I ordered parts for the moto. They arrived about a week ago. On the first day within 2 hours we discovered that the camshaft can't be pulled while the motor is in the frame. 1 hour later we had to come up with a way to pull cam bearings. The large cam bearing we were able to tap out with a punch and hammer. The small one we had to get creative. Unfortunately I don't have any picture of the creative tools we tried to use to get the small bearing out. We tried using a concrete anchor that expands when you tighten to hold the bearing and pull it out. Unfortunately it slid out and didn't pull the bearing. Finally we through the bearing so we just had to pull the rase out. A washer that fit perfectly into the bearing race was filled on one side so it could be turned sideways and slid into the bearing. Then we threaded some rod in and turned a nut to pull the bearing race out. The new bearings went in way easier. We rebuilt the rear suspension while the motor was out so it was easier to lift the bike. The hardest part of putting the bike back together was installing the rod through the swingarm and motor. Now the bike is back together and it sounds amazing. Like a brand new motor. No more ticking from the cam and the starter motor doesn't make me cringe every time I start the bike. I will take her for a day trip of a couple hundred km on Monday then change the oil again. The motor should be cleaned out by then if any dust got into it. Tuesday I will head toward the border of Azerbaijan and the adventure continues.

Niko. He was a great help. If anyone needs a good contact in Georgia, you should give this guy a call or email. nickamoto@gmail.com

Necked bike.

Cam bearings removed. Finally. My cam bearings, Cam chain were good. But I figure since I was replacing the cam.. do it all.

Shiny new starter

Thats about all for now. Tomorrow will be my last day snowboarding this winter... the lifts close. Last night the moon was so amazing and it was great to get some night pictures.

Thats all for now. Thanks for following along and giving me shit for snowboarding to much and not riding moto. The next 5 months should be pretty epic.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #1454
Michel77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
This is a great report man, love the snow action mixed in with the RR. Your pics are cool, can I dig up the exif info on them somehow? I'm a bit of a settings geek :)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #1455
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
I think when your eventually done with your trip on that ktm, it needs to go to ktm as a museum piece