ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2101
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Taylorsville
Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Hey all,

How do magnetic tank bags fair on these bikes? Anybody have one?
They don't work magnetically, there is no metal to stick to, you need to strap them down.
__________________
Have Fun!
Brian
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #2102
DomEOD
'murica
 
DomEOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Ft Carson, CO and SoCal
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
They don't work magnetically, there is no metal to stick to, you need to strap them down.
Well.. that's good to know! Totally though the faux tank was metal. Thanks.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #2103
JackB8
Adventure Seeker
 
JackB8's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, UK. (Yawn)
Oddometer: 2
Laugh My thoughts on the Sertao.

I've been reading the posts on this forum for a while, so about time i registered and contributed. For what its worth.
Ive picked up a lot of useful stuff.
I took delivery of my Sertao last November, and so far put about 2000k on it.
I took a long time deciding what my next bike should be, and this is the one i went for, for these reasons.
I live on Salisbury Plain, UK so hundreds of square miles of off road tank tracks to explore. The bike needed to be able to have that capability, but also needed to be able to handle some long distance touring. Ive had an R1150GS before, and way too much bike for what i needed, plus next to no off road ability.
Cost and maintenance was also a factor, and the Sertao fits in nicely.
I've been off road, and it handles well enough. Ive also come off in the mud, and was able to get it upright without a problem.
My biggest concern was how it would fare on the tarmac over a long distance. i just came back from an 800 mile round trip, and i gotta say it was brilliant.
I cruised back the last 200 m at 80/90 mph and it still felt comfortable. At that speed on the Sertao, you know you're riding, but thats what its all about. If i wanted comfort and luxury, id just do the trip in a car.
Really pleased with it, but need to get Fairing Crash Bars, Kick stand plate (Touratech). Fork and headlamp Protectors (Touratech), and most important a sheepskin seat cover/pad, which i've just ordered. Got a numb ass after about 150 mile.
The only negative was when i first got it, it suffered with the hot start problem. I got BMW to come and pick it up, and problem solved. They explained that the engines came from one of two places. The ones that came from China (Loncin,) had been fitted with a wrong part, so it wasn't able to decompress after being turned off. Whatever it was, its not been a problem since.
All in all, i love the bike. If i get to the point where a bike is my everyday transport and money is no object then maybe i'll upgrade to an F800 GS or KTM 990 Adventure. If i plan on doing a RTW trip, then it will be the KTM or a R1200GS. For now though under these circumstances, this bike does everything i'll need to ask of it.
Keep on riding.
__________________
Jack
JackB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #2104
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer
 
Wisconsinkris's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Well.. that's good to know! Totally though the faux tank was metal. Thanks.
I've heard of people strategically glueing steel washers under the shell.
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #2105
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Taylorsville
Oddometer: 173
Welcome and Congrats on the purchase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB8 View Post
I've been reading the posts on this forum for a while, so about time i registered and contributed. For what its worth.
Ive picked up a lot of useful stuff.
I took delivery of my Sertao last November, and so far put about 2000k on it.
I took a long time deciding what my next bike should be, and this is the one i went for, for these reasons.
I live on Salisbury Plain, UK so hundreds of square miles of off road tank tracks to explore. The bike needed to be able to have that capability, but also needed to be able to handle some long distance touring. Ive had an R1150GS before, and way too much bike for what i needed, plus next to no off road ability.
Cost and maintenance was also a factor, and the Sertao fits in nicely.
I've been off road, and it handles well enough. Ive also come off in the mud, and was able to get it upright without a problem.
My biggest concern was how it would fare on the tarmac over a long distance. i just came back from an 800 mile round trip, and i gotta say it was brilliant.
I cruised back the last 200 m at 80/90 mph and it still felt comfortable. At that speed on the Sertao, you know you're riding, but thats what its all about. If i wanted comfort and luxury, id just do the trip in a car.
Really pleased with it, but need to get Fairing Crash Bars, Kick stand plate (Touratech). Fork and headlamp Protectors (Touratech), and most important a sheepskin seat cover/pad, which i've just ordered. Got a numb ass after about 150 mile.
The only negative was when i first got it, it suffered with the hot start problem. I got BMW to come and pick it up, and problem solved. They explained that the engines came from one of two places. The ones that came from China (Loncin,) had been fitted with a wrong part, so it wasn't able to decompress after being turned off. Whatever it was, its not been a problem since.
All in all, i love the bike. If i get to the point where a bike is my everyday transport and money is no object then maybe i'll upgrade to an F800 GS or KTM 990 Adventure. If i plan on doing a RTW trip, then it will be the KTM or a R1200GS. For now though under these circumstances, this bike does everything i'll need to ask of it.
Keep on riding.
__________________
Have Fun!
Brian
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #2106
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Taylorsville
Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinkris View Post
I've heard of people strategically glueing steel washers under the shell.
I used velcro and strapped mine down, It has magnets as well.
__________________
Have Fun!
Brian
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #2107
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Afternoon all!
Am deep into planning my big trip (RTW: US, Asia, and maybe Africa). I checked the BMW dealers and I'm relatively well covered every 6k miles, more or less, which is the service / inspection interval.
In terms of consumables (chain, brakes, sprockets etc), are there guidelines as to how long each is likely to last? Tires I know, but the other items?
I'll be at 9k miles in Vancouver, and then close to 24k by the time I roll into Europe, just in time for a major inspection.
Is it reasonable to assume that the factory chain, sprockets and brakes will last til 24k, or is it prudent to change those, early, before I leave the US?
I checked the F650 service manual, but they don't give mileage guides to these parts, only wear measurements.
For reference I'll be at 4k offroad and 5k inroad by the time I get to Vancouver.
Thanks guys
Just a friendly tip - the one thing I'd add to my next big trip is a chain guide.
You can bet your ass you'll be in the middle of nowhere when your drive trains decides to pack it up. It'll look worn, but alright for a while and the suddenly just fail and start throwing the chain. Hence the chain guide. I promise you'll be very surprised and confused when cruising along at 100km/h the revs suddenly go off while your speed starts dropping off. And then curse you didn't replace it at the last opportunity.

This is 18.000km worth of RTW travel. Had to tighten it all the up so I only had 5mm slack. More than that and it threw the chain. Had to replace all wheel bearings aswell when I finally got to a town. This was in Australia, fairly close to civilization, glad it wasn't middle of Africa.

__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #2108
pasomonte
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Taos Ski Valley, N.M.
Oddometer: 88
Hi Nylon, after fumbling with and reinstalling the tailight 3 times I just bought a generic boat trailer light assembly (license plate side) from NAPA I cut some 1" alu bar stock and drilled the frame mounting and light mounting holes. The cross bar goes between the two rear luggage mounting bolts. It is brighter, larger and cheaper. It is also pretty sano as not one person has noticed the switchout. When I sell the bike I'll put back the original junk which failed because of the needlessly massive steel license plate assembly hanging from it.
I am currenty in Belém, Pará, Brasil. I'm going around the Americas (clockwise)and just floated down the Amazon after Venezuela etc. I'm held up here at the mouth of the Amazon for a week for fork seals, bushings and another fan assembly. My second fan crapped out in the boonies of the Sertão at 107 degrees 300 klics south of here. The military police heard about my predicament and came out with a pick-up and cheerfully hauled me back to town with bike. MUITO OBRIGADO POLIZIA MILITAR do SANTA LUZIA do Para!
I am anxious to resume my southeastward track to the beaches next week. Me needs some surf, cervejas e garotas. Not nessacarily in that order.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #2109
nylon2000
Wanderer
 
nylon2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 253
Thanks Paso...

Nothing to do with Sertao's, but my girl is doing her MSF this weekend. If she likes it, i'll buy her a bike and we'll ride together, if she doesn't i can carry on riding alone.

Not sure which I'm hoping for...
__________________
WineAndWater. West around the world, New York to London, then Africa. Raising money for Wine to Water, supporting clean water projects in 15 countries.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #2110
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Pasomonte - Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks.

I've been following your comments since you were doing the CD ride last year. That was probably 30,000 miles ago. Where are you now?

Also, where did you get the trailer tail light? Mine already fell off once.

~~~~~~~

KD - I dont have my bike here, so can't take a picture, but, basically (lifting this image from Wolfman):



I mounted the Tool Tube onto the Wolfman racks (I use their Rocky Mountain bags) on the bottom horizontal bars.

I use the Mega Tool Tube (1.5l), which as they say, fits a tool roll perfectly: http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html

There are 3 attachment points. 2 at the end with the opening, and 1 at the other end. I couldn't get it to fit perfectly, so while the end with the opening is mounted properly, using supplied clamps, the other end uses zip ties.

However, its solid, as the mounting points actually rest on the wolfman luggage bars, and then are just held in place.

Note thats now how most people mount them. Most people mount them onto the vertical bars, not the horizontal ones. I couldnt make that work without it interfering with the Wolfman attachment points for the luggage.

Pretty sure I could have explained all that with a picture!


~~~~~~~~~~

Valve core removers? Rly? I thought just screwing the end caps on was "generally" sufficient to stop valve cores leaking.



Cool
I have the same racks so I'll figure something out I'm sure. I am friend of the zip-tie
I saved the mega tube to my fav's and will wait to see if my cruz kit fits in the twisted throttle tube first.
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine

kdennan screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 05:50 PM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #2111
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Well.. that's good to know! Totally though the faux tank was metal. Thanks.
Wolfman Explorer Lite
Purr-fect fit
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #2112
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZBone's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: CO/WV/MI/OK
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomonte View Post
When I sell the bike I'll put back the original junk which failed because of the needlessly massive steel license plate assembly hanging from it.
I didn't even think about that being the culprit but it certainly is. I might try cutting a piece of plastic/rubber to the shape of my license plate and using that to mount it. Otherwise I'm sure it's bound to break again. And again. And...
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #2113
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel seeker View Post
just a friendly tip - the one thing i'd add to my next big trip is a chain guide.
You can bet your ass you'll be in the middle of nowhere when your drive trains decides to pack it up. It'll look worn, but alright for a while and the suddenly just fail and start throwing the chain. Hence the chain guide. I promise you'll be very surprised and confused when cruising along at 100km/h the revs suddenly go off while your speed starts dropping off. And then curse you didn't replace it at the last opportunity.

This is 18.000km worth of rtw travel. Had to tighten it all the up so i only had 5mm slack. More than that and it threw the chain. Had to replace all wheel bearings aswell when i finally got to a town. This was in australia, fairly close to civilization, glad it wasn't middle of africa.


nice
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #2114
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VitSports6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Taylorsville
Oddometer: 173
Just about ready to roll!
I picked up a zero deg. sleeping bag and 1.5" bedroll that take up 2/3 of one side case, so I'm pleased with that.
I just need to figure out food, I will also be packing 2 gal. of water.



I have 2 rotopac's for fuel too, I drove it around today to see how it handled, That was before fuel, But It went well.
I mounted my GoPro on the LHS fork, It did a fairly good job there.





I may be able to lower it a little more, but I didnt want it to hit if I bottomed out the forks.
Cant wait!
__________________
Have Fun!
Brian
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #2115
DomEOD
'murica
 
DomEOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Ft Carson, CO and SoCal
Oddometer: 2,308
For those that have the taller seat:

Is it worth it for ass comfort? I just did 200 miles today and I would assume that my butt feels the same way a pornstars would after their first gangbang. It all hurts.

I don't have the leg cramp issue at all though (6', 32" inseam).

DomEOD screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 03:20 PM
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014