+11
stiggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #57962
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQook View Post
Hey has anyone heard of somehow adding rubber or something similar to the engine mounts to maybe reduce the vibrations from the engine to the rest of the bike? Anything to cut down on vibrations? My buddy at work was mentioning something about it so i figured id ask the experts.
Thanks
-DQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A scotts damper and after market bars help a lot in reducing the vibes. afetr a few months of ownership you will get use to it. Its not really that bad.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #57963
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Not gonna happen. If you think the XRL vibrates go ride a LC4 KTM. Not that bike has it's own built in paint shaker.
Riding with a buddy who has one, we'd stopped looking at the map or gps. Just setting at idle, one of his mirrors broke off, TINK!
It rode nice, easy to move out of the rpm range where the vibes were worst. He's been leading his class in KS hare scrambles on RFS bikes, and 1st finisher of the 1st Dusty Butt 1000 on a GS no less.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #57964
camperdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Sub-Frame gussets

I am prepping two XR650ls for the TAT. I have seen several pictures of gussets reinforcing the rear sub-frame and was wondering how many actually have done it? What type of welding? Arc, Tig, Mig? It is one a small tube so I'm assuming you could cause more harm than good if you burn through it. My frames are fine but just looking to prevent any catastrophic failure. It looks like I will need to remove the batt box, fender and airbox.
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #57965
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Thanks guys!

I've been trying to decide,XRL or KLR, after reading pg. 701, and the fact that I bleed Honda Red, I'm gettin' the Honda...SOON.

Talk about schemin', one of my kids friends needs a good reliable car( which I have and don't want ), so I'm being so kind as to sell it to him.

Okay, I know, I get a new bike out of the deal, so maybe it's not THAT nice of me

I'm SO STOKED!! I've wanted an XRL for awhile now, soon I'll have one. Maybe there really is something to this karma thing.

I'll figure out how to post when I get it.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #57966
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Not gonna happen. If you think the XRL vibrates go ride a LC4 KTM. Not that bike has it's own built in paint shaker.
A buddy of mine had one. What a pile of a motor. KTM sure has come along way. That said, the 690 is very buzzy. My stock and especially my CW motor are butter smooth by comparison.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #57967
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
I've been trying to decide,XRL or KLR, after reading pg. 701, and the fact that I bleed Honda Red, I'm gettin' the Honda...SOON.

Talk about schemin', one of my kids friends needs a good reliable car( which I have and don't want ), so I'm being so kind as to sell it to him.

Okay, I know, I get a new bike out of the deal, so maybe it's not THAT nice of me

I'm SO STOKED!! I've wanted an XRL for awhile now, soon I'll have one. Maybe there really is something to this karma thing.

I'll figure out how to post when I get it.
The only down side is that chicks dig guys who ride KLRs.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #57968
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperdad View Post
I am prepping two XR650ls for the TAT. I have seen several pictures of gussets reinforcing the rear sub-frame and was wondering how many actually have done it? What type of welding? Arc, Tig, Mig? It is one a small tube so I'm assuming you could cause more harm than good if you burn through it. My frames are fine but just looking to prevent any catastrophic failure. It looks like I will need to remove the batt box, fender and airbox.
CW Tigs his subframe supports and they are a works of art. My buddy just used a wire feed MIG and it turned out fine. He's not a welder by profession either. Just a hobbyist. Speaking of welders I need to get one soon.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #57969
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
The only down side is that chicks dig guys who ride KLRs.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #57970
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
Where I ride the sport bike guys hold their hand out just below the grip, with two fingers out like they are pointing a peace sign at the ground. I know that it is a friendly gesture but I always thought it had a particular meaning. Anyone know?
Two down, two tires down on the road.
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #57971
ford99_1979
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwducati View Post
I do not want to or need to start a "which tire is best" or "which tire size is best" discussion
But I wonder if one of the inmates using Mefo tires would be willing to measure the rear tire width.
I know that a tire sold as, for example a 130, can measure less than 130, or it can measure more.
The question I am asking: is Mefo smaller or larger than the size stated on the sidewall?
What is the actual size of a rear mounted Mefo?

One seller of Mefo tires says the 130/80 - 18 is the same as the original rear 4.60 -18 the XR650L was sold with.
The math says a 130 should measure 5.11 inches.
The seller says they cannot provide the actual measurement.

Is someone willing to actually measure a rear mounted Mefo to answer this question?
If you do measure a tire, please tell me both the sidewall size and the actual measurement.

Thanks.
I have a Mefo super explorer 140/80 18 that is half mounted because I'm waiting for a Michelin HD 140 tube to show up. Ill measure when I get the tube and finish changing the tire. Wish me luck. Also changed out the front tire with continental TKC 80.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #57972
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQook View Post
Hey has anyone heard of somehow adding rubber or something similar to the engine mounts to maybe reduce the vibrations from the engine to the rest of the bike?
Actually, I didn't find the vibes too bad, although after a few hundred miles my boney elbows start to sting. My GPS and iPhone definitely weren't digging it either, both freaking out a bit. So, I made the mounts rubber and that problem went away.

RZ Rob

There's a bike amid the mess somewhere
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #57973
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Actually, I didn't find the vibes too bad, although after a few hundred miles my boney elbows start to sting. My GPS and iPhone definitely weren't digging it either, both freaking out a bit. So, I made the mounts rubber and that problem went away.
My XR650L vibrates horribly on the highway... and my last bike was a BUELL

Can you give more details about these rubber mounts?
Where?
What did you use?
etc.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #57974
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

RZ Rob
Looks like he was referring to the rubber mounts that attach the brackets for the phone and GPS. If you look closely you can see them at the bottom (look like grommets of some sort.) I don' think he meant he rubberized the mounts for the engine.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #57975
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
I know that I am an outstanding individual but why am I so blessed to have a XRL that does not vibrate?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote