Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #2446
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
female friend of mine wants a bike and a Harley is the only thing that she can really fit on. on some other sites ive seen where they installed buell front forks. lowers it even more and helps handling a lot.
shes looking at a 2008 1200 r model now. putting 17 inch wheels on both ends would be awesome.
How short is she? My girlfriend is 5'4", and before I changed the seat on my 883C she stood flatfoot over the bike. I would think anyone over 5' would flat foot the current models.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #2447
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
How short is she? My girlfriend is 5'4", and before I changed the seat on my 883C she stood flatfoot over the bike. I would think anyone over 5' would flat foot the current models.

and randy
yeah it lowers the front. then i could raise the rear and put 17 inch rims on it with a 180 rear tire.
found this info on an xl forum.
can i link the thread to this site?
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...=33810&page=13

also go to page 15 for a side by side pic
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #2448
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
and randy
yeah it lowers the front. then i could raise the rear and put 17 inch rims on it with a 180 rear tire.

Hmmm... Learn somethin' new everyday! I guess the forks have a shorter overall length so you get the front lower without sacrificing travel? Then the 17's with low profile radials lowers it still a bit more, I guess. Still gives limited cornering clearance though. Of course for those severely vertically challenged... Then again I'm 5' 6-7" and ride a standard height R1150GS and a KTM 640 without troubles...

Gotta admit though, that bike looks pretty cool! Looks like it has a similar ride height to my stock 48, just looking at the fender to tire, and frame to ground clearance.

If you do go that route, I'd recommend picking up some nice shock, and not a used set of current H-D shorties, or even the Progressive shorties. Maybe some decent Ohlins, or Ricor's? And personally, while I could definitely dig the 17's I probably wouldn't go that wide on the rear tire. I'd probably stick with a 150-160 series tire since I think that unless a bike makes gobs of power (not a mild Sportster) that narrower tires generally feel more nimble, but to each their own.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #2449
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

yeah true on a 160. looked a little at your build over there. there is another build over there with an older buell rear end grafted onto a sporty. lots of work and it didn't come out too well in my opinion.
was never a Harley guy at all. now im liking them. lol
Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2450
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
was never a Harley guy at all. now im liking them. lol
Same here. I'm still sorta shocked at myself actually.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #2451
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Same here. I'm still sorta shocked at myself actually.

this is the one she is looking at. got him down to $6000 just thru email.

http://www.renegadehd.com/used/Harle...024c24d2c8.htm
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #2452
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
this is the one she is looking at. got him down to $6000 just thru email.

http://www.renegadehd.com/used/Harle...024c24d2c8.htm
Wow! I was just in there a couple of weeks ago!

My dad was in Rapides Regional ICU for 11 days before passing away week before last. After several days going to the hospital, and dealing with all the stress, I had to get out and go do SOMETHING to get away. Naturally, I found a Harley shop.... My mind wasn't really in it though, so I don't even remember looking at much in particular. But, I probably saw that bike if they had it then.

I don't really have my finger on the used Sporty market yet, so I don't know if that price is good, average, or bad, but it looks nice.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #2453
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Quote:
Wow! I was just in there a couple of weeks ago!

My dad was in Rapides Regional ICU for 11 days before passing away week before last. After several days going to the hospital, and dealing with all the stress, I had to get out and go do SOMETHING to get away. Naturally, I found a Harley shop.... My mind wasn't really in it though, so I don't even remember looking at much in particular. But, I probably saw that bike if they had it then.

I don't really have my finger on the used Sporty market yet, so I don't know if that price is good, average, or bad, but it looks nice.
in the video it smokes on start up pretty good. black smoke. im thinking it needs a tune. I know nothing about these bikes really. learning is fun. lol
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #2454
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
in the video it smokes on start up pretty good. black smoke. im thinking it needs a tune. I know nothing about these bikes really. learning is fun. lol
IDK, didn't seem to want to settle into an idle very well either. '08 is fuel injected, and IMO shouldn't run like that on start-up. I know mine doesn't. Mine just fires right up and settles into an idle right away, hot or cold.

Might be just stale gas, or whatever, but it would worry me just a tad since getting the fueling right on a FI H-D can be a spendy process. Not like the good ol'days where a few jets and little time could have it sorted in your garage. Now you need a laptop and a fairly pricey tuner to get 'em dialed in correctly They come very lean from H-D, so pipes and A/C can really screw up the powerband, and make them run very hot unless something is done to richen the mixture and get the fuel curves right.

Used Sportys are fairly common on Craigslist though, and if you have cash and are ready to pounce you can find some really good deals.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #2455
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Quote:
IDK, didn't seem to want to settle into an idle very well either. '08 is fuel injected, and IMO shouldn't run like that on start-up. I know mine doesn't. Mine just fires right up and settles into an idle right away, hot or cold.

Might be just stale gas, or whatever, but it would worry me just a tad since getting the fueling right on a FI H-D can be a spendy process. Not like the good ol'days where a few jets and little time could have it sorted in your garage. Now you need a laptop and a fairly pricey tuner to get 'em dialed in correctly They come very lean from H-D, so pipes and A/C can really screw up the powerband, and make them run very hot unless something is done to richen the mixture and get the fuel curves right.

Used Sportys are fairly common on Craigslist though, and if you have cash and are ready to pounce you can find some really good deals.
yeah I found one in ark, with 4k miles for $5500. a 2006. I belive its a carbed model. which is fine with me. one carb right out in the open, too easy. makes a moto guzzi seem like a space shuttle. lol
Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #2456
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
yeah I found one in ark, with 4k miles for $5500. a 2006. I belive its a carbed model. which is fine with me. one carb right out in the open, too easy. makes a moto guzzi seem like a space shuttle. lol
I re-jetted my 99 and had to change a few dryrotted vaccum lines last fall, it was stupidity easy. Took longer to clear a spot in the garage, organize tools, and prepare beverages.

The 06 is carb, should be basically the same design.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #2457
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 138
[QUOTE=Randy;21257869]Yes, the XR forks are very different from the XL forks. In order to mount a right side caliper to an XL, you either have to do a complete front end swap, or in some cases just add a right side fork lower from a model that had a right side caliper, such as a Roadster. Several models with left side only brakes are compatible with the Roadster right side lower. Some, such as the 48, are not, due to the location of the fender mounting lugs. If, for example, you had a model that was compatible with the right side Roadster fork leg though, you could add just the left caliper from the XR, like I did. Then if you still wanted more, you could add the fork lower and the right side caliper, along with the necessary wheel mods to accept the rotor, as well as a new master cylinder that could pump enough fluid to actuate two 4 piston calipers. Doing the twin brake conversion can be a complicated and costly endeavor. That's why I went with the upgrade that I did.

Hummmm. I think that I will just research the single disc/ 4 pot/ left side only option, for now. The XR1200s were never too common around Queensland - to my regret, so I really have nothing to compare my XL with.
But the '48 would be a better bet. I may be able to find a current model (are HD still building the "48?) to compare with. The Nissin kit P/N 42943-08 apparently fits both the 48 and the XR. Is it not so?
Rob
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #2458
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=theKite;21264188]
Quote:
Yes, the XR forks are very different from the XL forks. In order to mount a right side caliper to an XL, you either have to do a complete front end swap, or in some cases just add a right side fork lower from a model that had a right side caliper, such as a Roadster. Several models with left side only brakes are compatible with the Roadster right side lower. Some, such as the 48, are not, due to the location of the fender mounting lugs. If, for example, you had a model that was compatible with the right side Roadster fork leg though, you could add just the left caliper from the XR, like I did. Then if you still wanted more, you could add the fork lower and the right side caliper, along with the necessary wheel mods to accept the rotor, as well as a new master cylinder that could pump enough fluid to actuate two 4 piston calipers. Doing the twin brake conversion can be a complicated and costly endeavor. That's why I went with the upgrade that I did.

Hummmm. I think that I will just research the single disc/ 4 pot/ left side only option, for now. The XR1200s were never too common around Queensland - to my regret, so I really have nothing to compare my XL with.
But the '48 would be a better bet. I may be able to find a current model (are HD still building the "48?) to compare with. The Nissin kit P/N 42943-08 apparently fits both the 48 and the XR. Is it not so?
Rob
Yes, the 48 is in the current model lineup. Mine is a 2013. And yes the Nissan caliper is a part for the XR1200, that works fine on the 48. It should also bolt up to any late model XL's fork leg, but it does create clearance issues with the wheels of some models. If you haven't already, you may want to check around on xlforum and see if you can find specifics for your particular bike.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #2459
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

they are so easy to change digging these little bikes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #2460
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,270
Quote:
and randy

Wow.

Quote:
they are so easy to change digging these little bikes
Yep. I'm with ya'.

After seeing those pics/thread, my next bike may be...another sporty.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote