User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Help with electrical on an Uly XB12X

So, I recently traded my bike for an 06 Uly. I think it has some problems with the electrical, but what a fun bike to ride. So far I have had 2 problems. The first one, is that the bike is not charging the battery. When the battery is charged, the bike cranks up and runs perfectly. After an hour of riding, the battery has lost enough power to restart the bike. We can push start it, with help from friends, and it runs fine, but the battery doesn't charge. I took the battery in and had it tested. Its fine.

Then, tonight I was riding, and my headlights got really bright for a second, and the poof, both bulbs blew. It was a scary ride home in the dark. So, I have no idea where to start. I don't know if the 2 things can be related. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
Floridalawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
First- Badweatherbikers.com for all things Uly.

You'll have to check the 77 connector (voltage regulator/stator connector located near the countershaft sprocket) for signs of overheating. IMHO it's best to hardwire it.

You'll probably have to check the stator output.
An overheated 77 connector frequently damages the stator.

There are numerous faulty ground possibilities as well as occasional broken wires near the frame neck.

Get acquainted with Badweb. Huge resource and helpful people.
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Thanks Paul. I was on the Badweb site. I read through all of the threads. But I just haven't joined up yet. Gonna sign up today.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,873
Geez...yes, your bike sounds like another failed VR bike. Over at BWB there is now some 4-5 top posts about failed charging systems. Must be planned oblesence Regardless,sounds like your VR is smoked and possibly stator as well. Get a manual or visit BWB for specific tests to check things out. I have a 06 myself with 36K on her without issue, (knock on wood). There are a few different ways to go like Mofset, stock parts or aftermarket so do your research.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
Geez...yes, your bike sounds like another failed VR bike. Over at BWB there is now some 4-5 top posts about failed charging systems. Must be planned oblesence Regardless,sounds like your VR is smoked and possibly stator as well. Get a manual or visit BWB for specific tests to check things out. I have a 06 myself with 36K on her without issue, (knock on wood). There are a few different ways to go like Mofset, stock parts or aftermarket so do your research.

Thanks Scapegoat. Is this something I could change myself? I may just buy a new one of each, and start from scratch. Congrats on your bike running strong. It is a fun bike, for sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
the vr has a thick coat of paint and the grounds are the source of many and problems. check and clean them annually,scrape the paint off from around the vr attach bolt hole surfaces,install with star lock washers.many add an additional ground from the vr to the engine,touchup with zinc primer,you can check the gen output with a vom and the vr deconnected,something like 70 vac. get a factory manual,the parts catalogue if you can,enjoy a great bike.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Floridalawdog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
the vr has a thick coat of paint and the grounds are the source of many and problems. check and clean them annually,scrape the paint off from around the vr attach bolt hole surfaces,install with star lock washers.many add an additional ground from the vr to the engine,touchup with zinc primer,you can check the gen output with a vom and the vr deconnected,something like 70 vac. get a factory manual,the parts catalogue if you can,enjoy a great bike.

thanks yokes. I am ordering that manual today.