Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
RockinTheRVA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
First Solo Ride for RockinTheRVA - Virginia to Burlington, Vermont!

Hey guys,

Last weekend(late April 2013) I made a pretty fun trip from Richmond, VA to Burlington, Vermont to visit a cousin at the University of Vermont. I had 3 days and two half days to cover 1430 miles. I certainly learned a thing or two about consecutive long days in the saddle, but it was fun to get a few more touring miles under the belt. Also, my first solo trip!

Let me share:

Gear:
-2007 Honda 919
-Arai RX-Q
-Zumo 660 GPS
-Sena SMH10 Headset
-Cortech Saddlebags
-Crampbuster Throttle Assist

The Route:

Day 1: ‘The Familiar’ - Richmond to Toms River NJ - 315 miles

Rt. 301 >> Annapolis Bay Bridge >> Rt 301 >> Delaware Mem Bridge >> Jersey Turnpike

I take off after work Thursday from Richmond VA towards NJ. I take Rt. 301 the entire drive up to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, where I take the NJ Turnpike(yikes, in the dark) the rest of the way up. Not the most scenic trip, but manage to capture (some of)the beauty of the Annapolis Bay Bridge as the sun sets. The accommodations at the grandparents’ “bed and breakfast” are superb!

In good company!

Day 2: ‘The Test’ – Toms River, NJ to Burlington, Vermont – 375 miles

Garden State Pkwy >> Tappan Zee Bridge >> Taconic State Pkwy >> Route 22

As day 2 starts my feelings are a mix of excitement, adrenaline, and ‘whoa man’ as I set off for a destination twice as far from home as I’d ever been on roads I had never seen before. I say goodbye to the grandparents and set off. I had memorized the route I had planned, and follow it perfectly the entire way, but the ‘alone’ feeling really sets in in upstate NY. Again, those feelings of excitement, adrenaline, and ‘whoa man’ are going strong. Adding to those feelings is a very interesting mix of weather. At roughly 70 degrees, windy, and very overcast, I am not sure what's coming next. Thankfully(thankfully) the entire trip only sees 15 minutes of a light drizzle. Someone up there is looking out for me and I make it to Burlington with no issues to speak of!

The Taconic State Parkway

Route 295 and Route 22 – Upstate NY/VT

Made it to Burlington! (feeling very welcome!)

Day 3: ‘Relaxation Day’ – Tour of Lake Champlain

This Saturday is all about relaxing and spending some time with my cousin. After a good breakfast at Henry St. Market and some Red Bulls we hop in the Honda Pilot(yes, a cage!) for a mini-tour of Lake Champlain up Route 2. Goal? Drive around to Plattsburgh, grab some lunch, and take the ferry from Essex NY back to the east side of the lake. It certainly is a nice drive, this area is beautiful!

A few pics:

(myself)

(my host!)

Day 4: "Brrr, what a beautiful sight!, Am I back yet?" - Burlington to Lake George to Toms River NJ – 420 miles

Route 9N south >> I87 South >> I90 East >> Taconic State Pkwy >> Tappan Zee Bridge >> Garden St. Pkwy

Weather? 32* as I leave Burlington. I am COLD. I am properly layered, winter balaclava, fleece liners in my winter gloves, but COLD. I thought I was prepared, but I am definitely not cut out for sub 40* with my current gear. I meet up with ‘grind’ 10 miles later, a fellow inmate that offered to show me some nice roads on my way down to Lake George. I feel terrible when we meet because I can't feel my hands enough to take off my helmet for a proper hello. He can see my pain so we set off for a warm cup of coffee in the next town where we get to meet properly and chat about life adventures. 1 hour later it warms up 10* and I am a lot more ready to enjoy the ride. We stop in Ticonderoga for a quick pic, then make our way down to Lake George for some more beautiful sights.

Lake George!

I find a Six Flags I never knew about on Rt. 9! (I’m a rollercoaster nut too)

Had to grab a pic on the Taconic State Parkway – it is gorgeous out Sunday

I finally make it back to New Jersey after my longest day on a bike thus far @420 miles. I sure will sleep well Sunday night!

Day 5: ‘Business’ – Toms River, NJ to Richmond, VA

NJ I295 South >> I95 South >> Baltimore 895 South >> I97 >> Route 301 >> I95 South

My one and only goal on Monday is to make it back to work as quickly as possible. 320 miles later down I95 and Route 301 and I am back in my hometown of Richmond, VA! It was quite the trip, and tested my limits of motorcycle touring, but ultimately was a great time to look back on. I had a lot of time to ponder life, enjoy the sights, and spend time with family – all without any incidents or mechanical difficulties. Can’t ask for more!

Thanks for reading, feel free to add any comments if you have questions or have taken similar trips in the area! I will be back to the northeast, and would love to see some new areas.

-RockinTheRVA

RockinTheRVA screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 02:53 PM
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,368

Nice write up and photos Rockin! Glad all went smoothly. Your gramps looks like he'd have some good stories to share. LOL on the Welcome to VT signage for one from the Old Dominian... you even got the VT state car in the shot too.
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,884
Glad you had a good time up here.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
grind
Thinking

Oddometer: 252
Hey Rockin! Nice to meet and ride with you! Glad you had a great time. Come back when its a little warmer and greener! All the best on your upcoming wedding!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
RockinTheRVA OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post

Nice write up and photos Rockin! Glad all went smoothly. Your gramps looks like he'd have some good stories to share. LOL on the Welcome to VT signage for one from the Old Dominian... you even got the VT state car in the shot too.
Indeed, my gramps is a cool guy. Always ready to tell a story and always super-interested in whatever his grandkids are up to. Funny about the VT state vehicle, I remember saying to myself 'wow there's a lot of Subies around here' haha.

@grind it was nice meeting you too - fun to chat about life adventures. I wish you the best as well, and I'm looking forward to touring up north again at some point.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote