ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #361
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I tried the new koolaid.

Bought a Montana, really tried to like it. It does tracks awesome, can take a route from Basecamp and follow it sweet, has so much storage with it using uSD cards, it was nice.

And it drove me nuts, coming from a 478. Little things. Can't use data fields and have them opaque, so it eats 30% of the screen space. Navigating at the same time? Now you're down to half. Couldn't use the find feature for route or destination POIs. The speed would go red when you exceeded the limit, making it unreadable in daylight. Touch screen was too touchy. Just little things, but they were driving me nuts.

So I sold it, and bought a 378 from a friend. Luckily, I still have my locking TT mount.

I am sorry I wandered, it won't happen again. Promise.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #362
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,327
Not good.

Got the 378. Knew the internal battery was toast, but unit worked fine.

Replaced the little battery, now it won't boot. Went back in, checked that polarity was right, and connection was good on the board.

The ribbon connector from the power connector in case to board is good, and getting power to the board.

Still nothing.

Fuck. Think I have a three hundred dollar brick.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #363
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Not good.

Got the 378. Knew the internal battery was toast, but unit worked fine.

Replaced the little battery, now it won't boot. Went back in, checked that polarity was right, and connection was good on the board.

The ribbon connector from the power connector in case to board is good, and getting power to the board.

Still nothing.

Fuck. Think I have a three hundred dollar brick.

OUCH !

It has been a few years since I did a board battery, By chance can you put the ribbon connection on the wrong way ?
I took a lot of pictures the last time I did it and will dig them up and look for any ideas.

Edit ....
It looks like you cannot do, what I thought you might have done.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress

Hog Rider screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:09 AM Reason: More information
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #364
kneesels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Downloading CN maps to GPSMAP 478

Perhaps wrong area to pose question. Purchased CN North America 2013.1 via disc and loaded on Mac and Base Camp installed, etc. Previously had CN on my PC but thought I would go with the Mac as the PC is old and slow, as is its owner. All loaded fine but when I tried to load updated maps to GPS got the previously reported error messages, not enough space-unit not compatitable for updates, etc. Saw a post about de-selecting CN on the GPS did that still no go. Contacted Garmin, not much help. Read that there is a post somewhere about the proceedure for updating or how toupdate the 478 through Base Camp-Mac but cannot locate it. Does anybody have a link to this post or suggestions on how to update the 478. Have a 512 datacard but will not hold all the info I need. Thanks
kneesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #365
MuleTrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesels View Post
Perhaps wrong area to pose question. Purchased CN North America 2013.1 via disc and loaded on Mac and Base Camp installed, etc. Previously had CN on my PC but thought I would go with the Mac as the PC is old and slow, as is its owner. All loaded fine but when I tried to load updated maps to GPS got the previously reported error messages, not enough space-unit not compatitable for updates, etc. Saw a post about de-selecting CN on the GPS did that still no go. Contacted Garmin, not much help. Read that there is a post somewhere about the proceedure for updating or how toupdate the 478 through Base Camp-Mac but cannot locate it. Does anybody have a link to this post or suggestions on how to update the 478. Have a 512 datacard but will not hold all the info I need. Thanks
I had the same issue, loved that the 478 held the entire map on internal memory. I bought the lifetime map update card, ran through the process, oh snap, it won't fit. Called Garmin, took a while but got routed to someone who could help, needed the 512 external card, they sold it to me at a big discount and then helped me load partial maps on the internal memory and the remaining on the 512 external card. It was a while ago, I don't think I could do the ENTIRE US but between internal and external card got pretty darn close.

My advice is to call Garmin back and push for help, my call got routed a few times.
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #366
kneesels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks MT. I need to call and push. Had a problem before and got hold of somebody that could actually address the problem. K
kneesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #367
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,997
The new maps have simply outgrown the internal memory in size. The data they now contain is huge. But you can still fit a lot and reload what portion of the US you want, when you want.
You use the Garmin "Map Updater" program for the 478.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #368
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
The new maps have simply outgrown the internal memory in size. The data they now contain is huge. But you can still fit a lot and reload what portion of the US you want, when you want.
You use the Garmin "Map Updater" program for the 478.

And this here may be the single biggest reason to buy one of the new GPS models.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #369
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesels View Post
Thanks MT. I need to call and push. Had a problem before and got hold of somebody that could actually address the problem. K

Let us know how you did it. I'm thinking of upgrading maps, but am concerned about the installation procedure.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #370
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,997
I know several guys who have reverted back to the 478 type unit from the new units. Garmin has not made an equal to it yet.
But it's a personal choice of course.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #371
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I know several guys who have reverted back to the 478 type unit from the new units. Garmin has not made an equal to it yet.
But it's a personal choice of course.
What's the going price on the 478s right now? I have a NEW factory refurbished 478 (unused other than I immediately added a screen protector when I received from Garmin). New OEM battery. Just the unit/battery. No memory card or cables. Obviously has builtin maps.

I have a 276c+ and was keeping the 478 as a backup but I've been thinking of selling it, I keep figuring eventually Garmin will release something more modern that I actually like
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #372
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
478 going price

There's this one up for sale in the flea market at the moment:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882452

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
What's the going price on the 478s right now? I have a NEW factory refurbished 478 (unused other than I immediately added a screen protector when I received from Garmin). New OEM battery. Just the unit/battery. No memory card or cables. Obviously has builtin maps.

I have a 276c+ and was keeping the 478 as a backup but I've been thinking of selling it, I keep figuring eventually Garmin will release something more modern that I actually like

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #373
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
I was able to load all of city nav 2013.3 to my 378 but you'll loose all of the marine maps.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #374
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
I've got a 478 that I bought used off of craigslist. The thing works great when its plugged in at home, but if its plugged into a car or the motorcycle, it cuts off every few miles. I've even used the exact same AC adapter in my truck and it still cuts off. The cable on the motorcycle is brand new and even that cuts off. The battery is charged so it looks like it would just switch to battery power but it doesnt.
Edit - One other caveat, when you turn the power off on the bike, it goes back to battery power?!

My concern is, I want to send it to Garmin and just pay the $170 for service but I have had the unit open to check the cables and try to make sure it wasnt just a loose connection. Its not under warranty so I guess that shouldnt matter.

The other thing, with the unit being so old will they even attempt to repair it or just take my $170 and tell me I need a new unit?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #375
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
The other thing, with the unit being so old will they even attempt to repair it or just take my $170 and tell me I need a new unit?
I had one of mine (478) replaced with a refurbished unit last month. No trouble with transferring my Lifetime maps, no issues with registering the new unit with myGarmin.

AFAIK, Garmin policy is to replace the unit with a refurb and then repair the faulty unit to new spec. At that point it becomes part of the replacement inventory. In the case of the 276c, this continued until Garmin ran out of parts.

I'll probably have my second unit done this winter.