Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
When I started this thread I meant a comparison between the older DL650 vs Super Tenere` 1200 since I already got the DL650.
The DL is a terrific bike but when you get that feeling it is time for a change regardless if it is high mileage or just things start to break e,t,c then you start to look at other bikes and in my case I always been a Yamaha man and the ST seems to be a good choice, not perfect but which bike is?
I thought the DL vibrated as well when it was new but grip puppies and Throttlemeister heavy end bar weights seemed to take away most of the vibes.
Just hope the turbulence is possible to rectify even if it means to remove the screen, it is just too tiring on long trips, the DL is just bliss since removal of the screen.
Still think the ST is too high priced since I believe most bikes here in Australia are 2010 or 2011 plated, 2013 models coming out soon.... lowest price so far is $19K ride away which is about the same in $US which personally I think it is more than it should be for basically a 1-2 year old bike.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #32
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,379
I had a 2007 DL650A that I sold when I ordered the Tenere. Comparison there? The Tenere felt the same in comparison in terms of size, MUCH better when it came to standing up on the pegs and getting over the tank and tons better off-highway. Loved the Tenere in the hard rock or dirt--the V-Strom was OK on groomed dirt for me.

More a function, perhaps, of tires. But the Tenere was more planted even in the loose stuff, and I put the TW152/150 on the Tenere and liked it a shit-ton better than the V-Strom.

What I really missed when I sold the DL and went to the Tenere was the engine, really missed the way the DL moved through the rev range at first--the tractory nature of the Tenere took some getting used to--but I loved that too, eventually.

Price? For me, I sold the Tenere to get rid of the payment, just didn't have the gumption to stay with it when other things came along that needed that money. So, back to the DL...

Good luck.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #33
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
What I really missed when I sold the DL and went to the Tenere was the engine, really missed the way the DL moved through the rev range at first--the tractory nature of the Tenere took some getting used to--but I loved that too, eventually.
Now that you mention it, I too missed the engine on the DL when I first updated to the S10, especially in the twisties. The S10 seemed just too easy to power through it all with its fat torque across the power band, whereas I had to work the DL through the gears to keep it in that 6 - 10K sweet spot and was actually quite fun to do. Like you, I too got over it but I certainly remember my DL riding days very fondly.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #34
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally after "years" of thinking to buy or not to buy I gave in and put a deposit on a 60 km demo bike (only 38 miles on the odo which is basically new).
Before I made up my mind I took a couple of more bikes for a test spin and I think it does feel as or almost as light once moving as the DL650, amazing.
Still think it is vibey compared to the DL650 but according to owners it seems to disappear after awhile.
I`m pretty sure I will be happy once sorted.
Thought about the 2012 DL650 but for a bit more $ you get "more" bike.
Never had a bike with TC, ABS and shaft drive (except had an old XS1100 as a holiday bike) looking forward to Tuesday when I will pick it up.
Ride safe!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #35
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,510
Keep us posted with pictures, of course.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #36
Red Dust OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will try to post pictures once I know how to do it.
Hope this bike will be as good long term as the DL was. Took me awhile to find solutions budget wise to keep my other 2 bikes and also be able to get the XT but when you get older it seems like the time goes faster and if you got a passion for something I would say life is too short not to try to get what you desire. If this bike will not be my answer I can always go back to the DL.....
The XT Forums seems to be very helpful so that is comforting.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,097
Deep thoughts by Jack Handy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DohIY1LTRe8

Another video of the Wee getting the damn job done.

However, when you consider there are a good amount of 2012 around new, and lots of 2013, you should just go with Yamaha. Espically if two up, or riding with a group.

However, the new 1000 V strom could bridge the gap.

I do not see the Wee getting a up grade soon. Suzuki should be happy with their MCs out now.
USA: 77 Day ride report, coming this winter
Northeast trip planning: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003227
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote