Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #31
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
There are no truly bad bikes on the market any more (Ural notwithstanding), but if your idea of "quality" includes fit and finish, Yamaha is middle of the pack.
There's the key word. They make it to the finish.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I admit I was sniffing around over in the orange section and the early reports make it
sound awfully nice. If people are jumping ship on the Multistradas for one you have
to wonder if there isn't a pretty good reason...

Same for me: I've been lurking in those threads, too.

The funny thing is, I can't even begin to think why I would be doing such a thing. When I had an LC-8, not a day went by when I didn't think about settin' the damn thing on fire: Not for insurance, just for the pleasure of seeing the fXXker burn.

And, right now, if I was able to test ride the 1190, I'm sure I'd love it. But, unfortunately, a test ride cannot begin to reflect the whole ownership "experience".

When I went looking for a large adventure bike, I wanted a gas-it-&-go option: ready to go anywhere, anytime. And, for me, the Super Tenere was that bike.

When I had the LC-8, I couldn't walk into the garage without finding something wrong, and having to break-out the wrenches. Now that I own the ST, I can't even seem to remember to check the tire pressure. The only time I've been near that thing, with a wrench, was when I installed the RUMBUX kit. Other than that, I thinked I've peeked at the oil level window, a coupla' times, in the last year (nothing to report).

Because of that, I have to echo these two opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
...A big reason I stuck with the Yamaha was for a shaft and near perfect reliability record.
I realize the KTM has a strong advantage off road. Right or wrong I don't trust it the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
Amen brother. After owning a 950 and a 12GS I was very happy when Yamaha released the Tenere. Finally put my mind at ease about breaking down and even if I did there's a Yam dealership in nearly every town.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #33
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
No problem passing on the ST because you don't like the looks but if you are looking for something better than the Yamaha you will be looking for a long time.

Yamaha quality and reliability is second to none.
Why is it that people feel the need to defend their bike/purchase? I like the ST but that statement is just stupid.
BryanCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Same for me: I've been lurking in those threads, too.

The funny thing is, I can't even begin to think why I would be doing such a thing. When I had an LC-8, not a day went by when I didn't think about settin' the damn thing on fire: Not for insurance, just for the pleasure of seeing the fXXker burn.

And, right now, if I was able to test ride the 1190, I'm sure I'd love it. But, unfortunately, a test ride cannot begin to reflect the whole ownership "experience".

When I went looking for a large adventure bike, I wanted a gas-it-&-go option: ready to go anywhere, anytime. And, for me, the Super Tenere was that bike.

When I had the LC-8, I couldn't walk into the garage without finding something wrong, and having to break-out the wrenches. Now that I own the ST, I can't even seem to remember to check the tire pressure. The only time I've been near that thing, with a wrench, was when I installed the RUMBUX kit. Other than that, I thinked I've peeked at the oil level window, a coupla' times, in the last year (nothing to report).

Because of that, I have to echo these two opinions...
Telling us how utterly reliable your ST is compared to that KTM isn't saying a whole lot, actually.

Someone once said, "If you want to celebrate your victory, I ask you one question: Who came in second?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Telling us how utterly reliable your ST is compared to that KTM isn't saying a whole lot, actually.

Someone once said, "If you want to celebrate your victory, I ask you one question: Who came in second?"

I wasn't comparing them. I was making a point about questioning why I would even ever lurk in a KTM thread.

My Yamaha has been very reliable. The KTM I owned wasn't. It's not a comparison; It just is what it is.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Why is it that people feel the need to defend their bike/purchase? I like the ST but that statement is just stupid.
With all the information available today the only reason to remain ignorant is if one chooses to do so.

Take a gander at all the threads posted here and on other forums and come to your own objective opinion on which brand produces the most reliable bikes.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #37
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

My Yamaha has been very reliable. The KTM I owned wasn't. It's not a comparison; It just is what it is.

Yeah, and it's a comparison.

My point was tongue in cheek to a point: Anyone owning that KTM would think a 1968 BSA Bantam was reliable.

mix one part attempted humour and one part serious KTM is a maintenance whore.

Schlug screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:50 AM
Old 04-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
With all the information available today the only reason to remain ignorant is if one chooses to do so.

Take a gander at all the threads posted here and on other forums and come to your own objective opinion on which brand produces the most reliable bikes.

You sir, without intending it, gave me a great smile this morning.

I know where you were headed with this, though. The fact of the matter is for most of us a motorcycle is more than a tool (although it may be that, too) and more than a simple purchase. It's a seriously emotional and psychological item-- or else we wouldn't be on advrider immersing ourselves in motorbikes and adventure.

And that psychic (psychic like Plato, not Tarot) response clouds our judgement from time to time-- or all of the time in extreme cases), causing people to fall on their swords in the face of any criticism of their brand.

But what you were asking is seminal to any rational person: Take in all the information you find relevant and match that up with lived experience. See if the two jive. Discard those bits of 'fact' that don't match up with what you know (as much as we can know) to be true.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #39
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
The fact of the matter is for most of us a motorcycle is more than a tool (although it may be that, too) and more than a simple purchase. It's a seriously emotional and psychological item-- or else we wouldn't be on advrider immersing ourselves in motorbikes and adventure.
This is absolutely true.

When one is considering buying a motorcycle many factors come into play. Reliability is one consideration that some put on top of their list and others don't even pay it a thought. There are many folks that are brand loyal and once they choose a make they don't deviate. I say, choose whatever motorcycle makes you happy.

I have owned numerous brands and am open to most but I tend to rank reliability very high and that strongly influences my buying decision. All the data I have seen still ranks the Japanese brands the highest. Some folks may not be happy with that but that does not change the numbers.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote